The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 26, 2006, 12:40 PM   #1
essexcounty

Model 94 "Antique"

A couple of days ago I purchased a 1977 vintage Antique model. Shoots fine but I can't stand the "gold" saddle ring and loading gate. My question is how is the saddle ring attached? Is it screwed into a threaded hole in the side of the reciever and if it is is there a plug screw available? What thread ? If anyone can give some insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks......Essex
Old October 26, 2006, 06:23 PM   #2
rem33

1977 antique?

Essexcounty, you sure know how to make a guy feel old.
I don't have any idea on that saddle ring butyou might want to check into all that gold it may be a collector item. In that case you might want to leave it alone.
Old October 26, 2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

I think the model is called an "Antique" model.
I would hesitate to remove any factory parts from this gun. You will only devalue it. They don't make them any more.
Bill
Old October 27, 2006, 03:00 PM   #4
UniversalFrost

Yes most of the saddle rings are screw in, but like the others said it will only devalue the gun if you remove or alter the gun in anyway. Plus you might mess up the saddle ring or the threads if you remove and reinstall a lot.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old October 27, 2006, 09:04 PM   #5
Ruger4570

The saddle ring screws on and you can replace it with a simple gun screw available from any stocked gun shop. I hate to say it, but the gun is less than 30 years old. It also has limited collector appeal as Winchester made commemorative guns for everything other than Valentines Day. Many of their Commerative guns are worth LESS than the cost to buy them. Do what you like with the saddle ring, just put it in a safe place so it can be reattached if needed. Remember, just the fact you shot it reduces the collector value. Please,, not to worry, you are not sitting on a retirement amount of money here.