The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 5, 2016, 09:23 AM   #1
ajanini

Advice: Import one pistol into Brazil. Which one?

Hello friends!
First off, I'm a newbie shooter and this is my first message on these forums.

Unfortunately I live in a place where guns are rare and very strictly controlled by the government. Here in Brazil, where murders are rampant and violence is king, law-abiding citizens have to jump through hoops and pay a high price for guns (literally).

Given the following restrictions:
  1. No 9mm (restricted to armed forces only);
  2. I'm a newbie shooter;
  3. I got one shot at this, because of the cost;
  4. Not for concealed carry (not allowed), home defense and range gun;
  5. If it's the right gun, I don't mind paying for it.

I am getting a .380 1911 clone from one of the two national industries, because it is faster and easier, but I'd like to begin the process of importing what would be my main range/home defense gun. I am told this may take up to 1,5 year to have the gun in my hand.

I would like some advice on which pistol I should get. I am leaning towards .40 S&W and I have been looking at the Beretta 96 and the Sig Sauer P226 (Legion).

Thank you all!
Old June 5, 2016, 09:34 AM   #2
lamarw

Your thinking has merit since hopefully you can also carry a 357 Sig barrel and actually have a single pistol capable of firing two calibers. Also, would you be allowed to have a .22 rim fire caliber exchange kit and have three calibers?

Not sure how available the above changes are for the Beretta, but I know they are available for the Sig P226 and the P229. I just purchased a 357 Sig barrel for my Sig P229. It slips right in and utilized the same magazines and recoil spring/rod.
Old June 5, 2016, 09:40 AM   #3
Nathan

I would lean toward an XD40 because it would be a simpler mechanism, and has the grip safety. It also has a rail. Finally, it is known to have springs and mags that last nearly forever.

There must be an even better option, but I'm having a hard time....maybe a CZ 75 B 40??
Old June 5, 2016, 11:07 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajanini
I am getting a .380 1911 clone from one of the two national industries, because it is faster and easier, but I'd like to begin the process of importing what would be my main range/home defense gun. I am told this may take up to 1,5 year to have the gun in my hand.
Until I arrived at this paragraph, I was going to suggest that you skip importing and just buy an Imbel .380 1911. I'm in the U.S. and I have been trying for years to import a couple of those here (with no success). My personal carry and home defense guns are 1911s -- I can't think of anything that would be better.

If you are concerned about capacity, the one you have chosen appears to be the high-capacity, double stack version. To be realistic, if 18 rounds (plus another 17 in a spare magazine) aren't enough, you don't need a different pistol (in the same calibre), you need a SWAT team. If you are looking for a larger calibre, the Imbel is also available in calibre .40 S&W.

Until recently, Imbel manufactured 1911s for the American company Springfield Armory. The Imbel pistols are excellent pistols, and you can't buy any pistol that has a better trigger than the 1911. I think you have already made an excellent choice and that you don't need to import something else.
Old June 5, 2016, 11:29 AM   #5
chris in va

Which caliber of ammo is easiest to obtain? That would be my main concern.
Old June 5, 2016, 11:40 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...trying for years to import..." Doubt you'll ever be able to buy anything from Imbel as an individual. Imbel is owned by the Brazilian government.
I'd re-think any .380, personally. Isn't much good for SD(better than nothing) and not at all for target shooting. The SIG would do though.
In any case, you need to buy a pistol that fits your hand regardless of the chambering. Can you try a bunch on for size?
Old June 5, 2016, 11:44 AM   #7
ajanini

Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

@lamarw: I think .357 Sig would be hard to find over here. And probably expensive too. .22 LR is easy, however. I don't know how easy it would be to import different barrels.

@Nathan: Thanks. I'll look into both of your suggestions!

@Aguila Blanca: Your comment is very reassuring. Thank you. I would like to explore other options, though. Specially a double action gun.

@chris in va: Definitely .380 ACP. I think .40 S&W and .45 ACP are also available, but not as easy or cheap to buy.
Old June 5, 2016, 11:47 AM   #8
TXAZ

Which feels best in your hand? And as above, which can you get ammo for?

If the weapon is no fun / a pain to hold then I'd pass.

Good luck.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 5, 2016, 11:47 AM   #9
ajanini

Quote:
In any case, you need to buy a pistol that fits your hand regardless of the chambering. Can you try a bunch on for size?
Unfortunately, no. Only individuals can import guns now, so that means that stores do not have them on display or even for sale.
I'm leaning towards the Sig and the Beretta, but I have no idea if the fit would be good. I do have rather small hands.

Last edited by ajanini; June 5, 2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old June 5, 2016, 11:47 AM   #10
P71pilot

I would recommend a springfield armory 1911 in .45acp, it will compliment yor .380 well and will offer a huge jump in ballistic performance
Old June 5, 2016, 02:02 PM   #11
sigarms228

Sounds to me you have narrowed down to a couple really nice choices.

Between the two I would go with the P226 Legion. The .40 round can be snappy but the SIG P226/P229 tame it very well. I have a P229 .40 Most say that the Legion series has an excellent SA and DA trigger out of the box.

Availability of parts and warranty service could sway my decision if one is much better than the other though most likely you will never need anything other than maintenance parts such as recoil spring.

Good luck!
Old June 5, 2016, 02:29 PM   #12
jabba21

Are you able to obtain a Glock 25 chambered in .380? I thought the whole point of those were to be sold in countries where you can't have military calibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 5, 2016, 02:48 PM   #13
ajanini

@TXAZ: I don't know. I have no way to hold neither.

@P71pilot: Thanks for the suggestion. It's definitely an option, although I'd like to have a DA option.

@sigarms228: Thanks. I am leaning towards the Sig, despite the price. From what I've been reading and hearing, the trigger is great and it's supposed to be top tier in terms of build quality, although it's so pricey.

@jabba21: Not anymore. Only individuals may import firearms now, so whatever G25's were available in stores are all gone. Lately I've seen G25s go for over $ 2.5k used from other shooters.

Just for comparison I am looking at spending around $4k if I choose the Sig, with all import taxes, shipping, etc.
Old June 5, 2016, 05:16 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
I would like some advice on which pistol I should get. I am leaning towards .40 S&W and I have been looking at the Beretta 96 and the Sig Sauer P226 (Legion).
Quote:
@Aguila Blanca: Your comment is very reassuring. Thank you. I would like to explore other options, though. Specially a double action gun.
Since you are a new shooter, are you aware that there are two kinds of double action pistols? The older type (which is sometimes referred to as "traditional double action" or DA/SA) allows for the first shot to be double action -- with a long and heavy trigger pull, but all successive shots are single action.

The newer type is double action only (DAO), in which all shots are double action.

The older type can be difficult to master, because there is such a big difference in trigger pull for the first shot compared to the follow-up shot(s).

The basic Beretta 96 is a DA/SA type. There is a variant with a decocker, and there is a variant that's DAO. If you decide to go with Beretta, be sure you know exactly what you will be buying.

The SIG P226 Legion is also a DA/SA pistol, so the only shot you would fire in double action would be the first shot. Is that what you were expecting when you indicated that you wanted to explore double action guns?
Old June 5, 2016, 06:22 PM   #15
ajanini

Hello Aguila Blanca,

I was not aware of DAO. I guess it would be like a revolver, right?

I have shot a Taurus pistol, based on the Beretta, which is DA/SA. I really like the Beretta design and that's why I am considering the 96.

Anyway, when I mentioned DA, what I meant was DA/SA.
Old June 5, 2016, 07:58 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Okay, so you know what you're getting. My only other comment is that the Beretta is considered to have a large grip frame ... and you mentioned that you have small hands. If you have shot one and your hand fits, then feel free to ignore this comment. I've read that women in the U.S. armed forces often have trouble with the Beretta because of the grip size.
Old June 5, 2016, 08:37 PM   #17
Walt Sherrill

If Beretta is an option, it might make sense to check out the Taurus versions of the Beretta design.

The ones I've shot (and the ones owned by friends, over the years) have been accurate and the have a generally good reputation. (I assume they're available in .40, but is .40 ammo readily available in your marketplace?)

I'd avoid the cost and hassles of importing, if possible. And getting parts for an imported weapon may be almost as much trouble as getting the weapon -- or harder.
Old June 5, 2016, 09:33 PM   #18
ronl

I'd suggest, as has another here, looking at a CZ-75. I am not a big fan of Beretta or Sig. I owned a 229 .40 for years and still own a 92 FS Beretta, and while they are good pistols, they simply are not as accurate and as ergonomic as the CZ. How hard is it to obtain ammo in Brazil? Do you have the option to obtain reloading supplies there? I think I'd opt for a domestically produced pistol, probably in .45, as many magazines as I could get, and import the supplies to reload if possible. 5000 primers, 5000 bullets, 1000 cases, an 8lb jug of powder and a reloading kit would keep you in ammo for a while depending on your shooting habits. The .380 is the absolute minimum as far as self defense goes, especially if all you can get is round nose ammo. If you can obtain quality self-defense hollow point ammo there, then the .380 can do the job. Just adding a little food for thought here, because, without the ammo, any pistol just becomes a paperweight you can throw at someone in desperation, and in your case, a very expensive one.
Old June 6, 2016, 10:12 AM   #19
ajanini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
Okay, so you know what you're getting. My only other comment is that the Beretta is considered to have a large grip frame ... and you mentioned that you have small hands. If you have shot one and your hand fits, then feel free to ignore this comment. I've read that women in the U.S. armed forces often have trouble with the Beretta because of the grip size.
Thanks. I'm gonna keep this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill
If Beretta is an option, it might make sense to check out the Taurus versions of the Beretta design.

The ones I've shot (and the ones owned by friends, over the years) have been accurate and the have a generally good reputation. (I assume they're available in .40, but is .40 ammo readily available in your marketplace?)
Yes, you are correct. There is a .40 version of a Taurus Beretta clone, the P100. It is said, however, that Taurus pistols destined for the local market are not as good as the ones exported to the USA.

Local police forces use these and there are several reports of failures and malfunctions.

And yes, .40 S&W ammo is somewhat easy to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronl
How hard is it to obtain ammo in Brazil? Do you have the option to obtain reloading supplies there?
We can find .380 ACP up to .45 ACP, excluding 9mm (military only). .380 ACP is readily available. The others are a little bit more complicated to get.

Reloading is only for veteran shooters (I believe a 3 year-old license minimum is the requirement).

Importing powder and primers, I think, is not allowed or very difficult.

---

Thank you all who replied. You have been very helpful and welcoming. I am going to look at some of the options you all suggested including the XD and the CZs.
I think I'm gonna postpone this importation thing for a while due to the cost and hassle. I hope the situation here improves so that this can happen someday. I'm gonna take a second look at the local options for now.

Best regards from Brazil!
Old June 6, 2016, 02:16 PM   #20
Fishbed77

Sounds like .45ACp may be the way to go for the OP.

I'd be thinking SIG P220 or Glock 21. Maybe an HK USP or HK45.
Old June 6, 2016, 03:03 PM   #21
TailGator

My thoughts were gong the same direction as Fishbed77: .45 feels softer to a lot of people, and if you got a 1911 type pistol in .45, you would have the same operating system in both .45 and .380.

Both of your other choices are very fine pistols, though, and I hardly think you will go wrong with either. I have a Beretta 92, and I don't find the transition from DA to SA to be nearly as difficult as some people say.
Old June 6, 2016, 04:35 PM   #22
BWM

sound like the Sig is the way to go

Tags
40s&w , advice , brazil , import , newbie