The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 9, 2012, 07:52 PM   #1
davebell18

What cleaning kit to get?

I am sick of getting cheaply made cleaning kits. I am looking for a pistol cleaning kit and rifle. I am looking for the ease of travel so no 1 rod for the rifle. I have gotten many and they are all flimsy, threads break, and Im sick of it.

If you need to know to help find what kit is best for me I own-
-Springfield 40 XD
- Ruger GP100 357mag.
- Remington model 700 30-06 and 270
- 2 shot guns
- .54 cal muzzle loader

Thanks everyone.
Old April 10, 2012, 08:30 AM   #2
CapnTibbz

Dave, all cleaning kits I have dealed with and had no issues were, were the Otis brand. If you want to pay for quality, this kit is $275.00 http://www.opticsplanet.net/otis-tec...FQTd4AodCEm8Zw But it comes with a Gerber, a redlight for chambers. Comes will different types of caliber brushes and chamber brushes. And also wipes for optics.

This one is for 75, basically the same kit as the first one but without the extra brushes and wipes. http://compare.ebay.com/like/1708191...Types&var=sbar

Also you can check out www.otisgun.com For other cleaning kits.

Like I said before Otis is the brand I used everyday in the sandbox on a M249 and M9, and the brushes and cleaning ropes didn't **** out.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Inspector3711

I buy Tipton Carbon Fiber rods, and Tipton Ultrajags.... Who needs a "kit" anyway?
Old April 10, 2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Doyle

+1 on that. Build your own - you'll be far better off. You'll need a decent box (think strong tool box type deep enough to store cleaning chemicals), various jags and brushes for your calibers, patches, various cleaners and lubricants, rod, and a few tools. Build as you go.
Old April 14, 2012, 01:24 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

Otis, Brownells...

+1 for the Otis kits. They have been around a long time & are popular with military-LE units.
I'd also see; www.MidwayUSA.com www.Brownells.com www.NatchezSS.com www.Cabelas.com .
Hoppes, Slip2000, Weaponshield, LPX, Gunzilla, Birchwood-Casey are all worth a look. A Bore-Snake Viper cleaner & some German Ballistol helps too.

ClydeFrog
Old April 16, 2012, 01:37 AM   #6
semi_problomatic

Don't forget your bore guide
Old April 16, 2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Clifford L. Hughes

Davebell18.

Don't spend a lot of money on an expensive cleaning kit. Purchase a stainless steel one piece rifle cleaninf rod, plastic coated if you wish, and a shorter stainless steel pistol rod. Purchase the jags that you need and add more if ever needed. I have a cardboard tube that I keep my cleaning rods in and a plastic box designed for range use: it resembles a fishing tackel box. It contains my pistol cleaning rod and all of my chemicals and patches. This way I have a custom kit taylored for me.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired