The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 2, 2009, 12:11 PM   #1
J.Smith

New Guy has some questions

I own and shoot shotguns, ARs, and handguns. I was not raised in a hunting or shooting family, but decided to go to college out in the mountains, and many of my mates hunt regularly. We are right here on the VA,KY,TN border and so Whitetail and Elk are my main interest at this time. I'm looking for a rifle and scope that would be a good starting place for a beginning hunter. I'm 6'0 200lbs. I know theres no perfect answer, but I know theres also alot of older guys on here who have kids my age and they had to start them with something. Appreciate the help.
Old May 2, 2009, 12:15 PM   #2
masterhunter

Remington 700 (of any flavor) in 30/06 with a Leupold 3.5x10
Old May 2, 2009, 12:16 PM   #3
THEZACHARIAS

Have you been out with your friends and used one of their rifles? That would be my first instinct.

Go once or twice just to get a feel for it. See what they are using. Heck, Ive heard of guys buying a rifle just because their friends have one; sharing ammo and spare parts makes life cheap and easy.
Old May 2, 2009, 12:37 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Typical distance of the average shot as well as density of the vegetation are the 2 factors that matter to me... Density generally limits distance of the shot.
In my area and preferred method "scoot and shoot" (I am easily bored and sore sitting in one spot too long) I find the short leveraction carbine like a winchester 94 or Marlin in 336 or other model suits my rifle style needs great. I have the venerable .30-30 but without excellent shot placement, may be minimal for large game like elk. If heavy cover is expected or runnin' deer are going to be targeted (both require fast target acquisition) a scope may a tuff unit to use. If a scope is to be chosen a very low power on the low side is an absolute must. 1.5 or 2 being max for many shots or all you will see is fur on close game and GREEN BROWN GREEN BROWN as the deer runs off... if lucky you may get a glimpse of white deer rump.
Brent
Old May 2, 2009, 01:01 PM   #5
simonkenton

There are 25 good answers to your question but you can't beat this one.
Old May 2, 2009, 02:14 PM   #6
J.Smith

Thanks. I have shot one of my mates Marlin 30-30s on a hunt this past year. I missed the shot, but it was great fun and I'd like to buy something here in the next couple weeks and take it to the range over the summer to get a feel for my own rifle. Like I said, I have 1 complete AR and a lower I'm building, but hunting rifles are something completely new to me. I appreciate the answers and think I'll purchase either a Marlin lever, or a Remington 700.
Old May 2, 2009, 02:41 PM   #7
JpSnareGuy

A +++ on the Remmy 700's
Old May 2, 2009, 04:17 PM   #8
bufordtjustice

Lots of good answers for this one. You most certainly can't go wrong with a good levergun. I have a Marlin and a Winny. One is 30-30 and the other is 45-70. There are multiple calibers you can consider as well.

A good bolt gun in 30-06 or one of the other major calibers (.308, 270, etc.) is also a great idea. Any of the major manufacturers should be good enough. Pick the one that shoulders best for you. You may also want to consider what other types of game you might want to use either rifle on. This might help you decide finish, optics, barrel length, etc.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:23 PM   #9
hardluk1

You have buddies that hunt that area ,,, talk to them about what they shoot . Maybe try some of there rifles and let that help make up your mind. But the good old 7mm rem mag, 30-06 or 308 bolt gun is hard to beat and ammo is about as easy to find as anything during good and bad times. You also don't need a new rifle ,a good use one will save you money and again get a buddy to go that take real good care of his rifles along to help pick something out.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:41 PM   #10
bswiv

One thing not to forget is to think about the fact that you will be carrying it into woods of some sort. If you'll be hunting from a fixed position box stand then you've little to worry about as to weight or legnth. On the other hand if you're slipping in the thick woods the weight/legnth thing becomes important.
Old May 2, 2009, 09:21 PM   #11
30-30remchester

I have seen literally 100's of large game animals taken and can state that there are lots of good combinations out there. The 30-06 is hard to beat. An old saying goes " IF YOU CANT KILL IT WITH A 30-06 THEN YOU ARENT IN NORTH AMERICA". While I am not a fan of the Remington 700's some have had good luck with them.
Old May 2, 2009, 09:58 PM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I suggest taking the time to go to a major gun store and do the "feel and fondle" thing. See what feels best to you, and what fits your body the best. There's little difference in accuracy among any of the mainstream name brands.

Spend some time just talking with friends as to their opinions. That will lead to more questions, and this bunch here is always happy to try to answer.
Old May 2, 2009, 11:36 PM   #13
Ole 5 hole group

If you like the feel of the Marlin lever action don't dismiss the 45/70 as to big or not "modern" enough. It's a fine, fast handling and accurate 200 yard rifle. You can either purchase or reload ammunition that runs from mild to insane. For deer & elk you will probably be on the mild side on the ammo list and the recoil is mild, similar to a 270 with a 130 grain bullet, when you use a 300 or 350 grain bullet in the 45/70 at 1100 to 1400fps. The entrance hole of the 45/70 is usually larger than the exit hole of a 30 caliber and when using hard cast bullets, there is usually very little meat ruined in the process compared to a 30 caliber at 2800fps. Take a look at the 1895SBL model. http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...re/1895SBL.asp
Old May 3, 2009, 09:11 AM   #14
Savage99

J.Smith,

I see some have suggested the common Rem. 700 for hunting. While I honor that rifle for target competition I don't suggest their design for hunting. Safety and function come to mind.

The 700's do not have a three position safety. That means that on some the safety does not lock the bolt closed and on others is not on 'safe' when the bolt is opened to say unload the chamber. Nor does that Rem. safety hold the firing pin. It just blocks the trigger. This is not good, this is not optimum.

Also the Rem's have a tiny weak extractor, a push spring ejector, a brazed on bolt handle that breaks off and more.....

Look at the Ruger Mk11's, CRF M70's and the Kimbers for hunting rifles.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:46 AM   #15
Kreyzhorse

I prefer Savage rifles. They are accurate reliable rifles. What more could you want? As far as caliber, you can't go wrong with a .308, 30.06 or a 7mm Rem Mag.

I can't dismiss the 45-70 gov't round either. Certainly 200 yards isn't out of the question but the round does have a lot of drop to it. In modern firearms there are a ton of hot rod loads that make a 45-70 a beast that can certainly tackle any thing in North America and even some African critters. While I do hunt with a Ruger No. 1 chambered in 45-70, I wouldn't suggest it as your first rifle. I think you'd be better served by the trio I listed above. I would suggest the 45-70 as your second rifle however.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:55 AM   #16
Dragon55

Also, keep in mind you'll be hunting in Appalachia where a 100yd+ shot is unlikely.
I like an old 35 pump because tree twigs don't make the heavy round slow bullet go zinging off as some of the faster rounds suggested.
Old May 18, 2009, 09:44 PM   #17
uncledewey

The Remington 700 BDL 270 winchester is my favorite. Did you ever think of a center fire muzzleloader. With a 50 cal. you can change muzzle velocities by changing the size and shape of bullet, and change powder charges. Go to the www.prbullet.com and see all of the different combinations you can have with one gun. The higher end Thompson Center Fires can even change barrels to different calibers. In Ohio you can either use a shotgun or muzzleloader for deer. So therefore I use a muzzleloader because your shooting a rifle. Just a few thoughts to ponder.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:40 AM   #18
davlandrum

Quote:
and let the choir say "Amen".

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old June 1, 2009, 12:08 AM   #19
BLS700

I was in the same position as you. I got a Rem 700 in .308. Last weekend off the bench it shot a five shot group at .67. The rifle is completely stock and has a Leupold VXIII on it. Remington's aren't expensive but they work and work well for what you're looking for. 30-06 would be my choice if I were you. I don't know that caliber can be topped for versatility but we won't go down that road...again.
Old June 2, 2009, 01:48 PM   #20
MuscleGarunt

Savage model 111 with accutrigger in 30-06. I would not recommend the Remington for reasons stated in a previous post.
Old June 2, 2009, 04:01 PM   #21
ar15man2009

I'll add to the remington 700 in 30-06 and a decent 3-9 power scope. I hunt in the exact are you are talking about and this is what I use with great sucess. It is a great set up for the close shots you may get but will reach out there when you do find an occasional 250+ yards shot.
Old June 6, 2009, 09:22 AM   #22
Dannyl

Remington 700 - 3006

Hi,
I live in South Africa, and hunt in various terrains that vary form flat open areas to thick vegetation.
I find the 3006 a suitable caliber for game ranging from Springbuk to large Kudus, which are quite equal to the range of white-tail and Elk.

My preference is for a 180Gr BTSP (I prefer the Hornady Interlocks) at approximately 2550 Fps. one can argue that this is way too much bullet for a small buck, but my reason is that I prefer to load all my ammo the same, and I know the trajectory.

I bought the rifle in 1996 ( my first hunting rifle) based on advise from a friend and have not been dissapointed.

With the above mentioned load, it groups regularly below 1 MOA.

the rifle is good locking yet rugged.

My choice os scope is a Leupold 4-12 x 40.

Good luck!

Danny
Old June 6, 2009, 11:36 AM   #23
Buzzcook

A rifle that fits. One that feels comfortable in your hands and that fits your shoulder and you have a good cheek weld with.

Any standard caliber will do just fine.

I should mention your shotgun will also do fine as a deer gun. Slugs and buckshot have taken lots of deer.
Old June 6, 2009, 11:56 PM   #24
banditt007

I'd suggest a 30-06, just b/c i like that cartridge. but there are many that will work for what you are doing. You can look into common bolt action rifles from remington, savage, CZ (i'm really starting to love these CZ's) ect ect you can't go wrong.

for a very cheap setup, you can look at the H&R handi rifles. they are a single shot break open rifle. Don't see it as a disadvantage b/c 99% of the time hunting deer/elk one shot is all you will need/get. the rifle is very cheap and has the nice feature of being able to swap to other barrels of different calibers, and it has many different calibers to choose from. also you can even mount shotgun barrels and muzzle loader barrels on it.....all you have to do is send the reciever to the factory and have them fit the new barrel. only thing is , is that they are light. so they are going to kick harder than a bolt action in the same cartridge. But thats also nice to walk around with, they are very tough/simple/durable and cheap. You wont win any beauty awards but i love their plain jane, no nonsense rugged looks and function.

.270/.308/30-06 are all very common cartridges that will fill your need well.
Old June 23, 2009, 04:29 PM   #25
James R. Burke

There are lots of great rifles. To name a few Ruger, Remington. Browning, Savage, Sako, and the list goes on. You need to fine what you really feel comfortable with, then chose a caliber. There again there are many real good ones. 30-06, .270win, 300mag, 7mm mag, and the list goes on. I think all said it comes down to what you like and feel good with. Good luck!