The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 5, 2000, 03:20 PM   #1
Lavan

I......HAD........a Colt Gold Cup series 70 that shot ragged hole groups. Then I listened to warnings that the collet type bushing
would break .......soooo...I had a local "gunsmith" fit a solid Wilson bushing. Supposedly he had "lots" of experience and told
me I would be happy. Well, other than cobbling up the link and fixing it so the orig bush would not fit without binding the whole
slide, he got it to shoot 4" groups. Whee! So, I sent it to a KNOWN pistolsmith that specializes in 1911. He found all the
flaws of the 1st try and fixed them. Then he returned the gun with the new collet and the old cobbled Wilson but NOT the
original. It shoots better but only 2" groups where it used to be one hole. What a disappointment. I contacted him and he sent
the orig bushing back. But it never arrived. He had told me that the orig was crimped too tight on the barrel so that is why he
replaced it.
Now comes the question. Would YOU start squeezing the new bush to see if it would be better? I am leery of it. But I
remember that good accuracy that no longer exists and I am dissatisfied with the gun now. What a hard way to learn if it ain’t
broke, don’t fix it. Have since surveyed some very knowledgeable pistolsmiths and NONE have had collet breakage except
where idiots fire hardball with the lite WC recoil springs or otherwise abuse it.
Old June 5, 2000, 05:36 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just a word of experience. When the collet bushings first came out, there was a lot of complaint about breakage. But I never saw a broken collet that wasn't broken by the owner playing with it.

FWIW, I suspect that the "top quality gunsmithing" in the link area has more to do with the 2" groups than the bushing.

Famous last words: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Jim
Old June 5, 2000, 11:43 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hey, I'm really feeling bad that those incompetent folks have totally ruined your pistol such that it will never, ever again shoot worth a hoot.

Since I don't need all that good a quality of accuracy, why don't you just ship that old dog to me, and I'll give you something at least halfway fair for it?

I'm feeling good-hearted, this month; always happy to help a fella out.

Which way did you come in?

To get back to halfway serious thought and maybe-useful advice, buy Halleck's book on the 1911. It may not be the best of all possible books, but it gives you an idea of the WHY of what does what to whom in accurizing the 1911. Cheap, too, even if you don't do your own gunsmithing.

, Art
Old June 6, 2000, 07:14 PM   #4
ChrisMkIV

You will have to ship the gun to him, but J.J. Enterprises is a good one man operation, he built me a super-tweeked Colt National Match, this gun was so tight,after you were done shooting a clip, the shells landed in a neat little pile beside you.

His shop is in Fallon, Nevada, it's about 65 miles south of Reno, and I bet he could get that sucker shooting one big hole again.

------------------
"The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, becuse the whole body of the people are armed"
Noah Webster

Second Amendment lover? www.2ndamdlvr.homestead.com/home.html
Support H.R.347 Citizens Self-Defense act of 1999! Sign petition at: www.petitiononline.com/protect/petition.html