The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 16, 2012, 06:47 AM   #1
Kickin' Mule

Cannons Anyone???

I am a new member hear, maybe a week now, and I have been "checkin'" out the site. I don't know a "lot of the jargon talk" ya'll speak, but am tryin' to "get it together". I must say that I'm a little surprised that there is no mention of "cannon shooting", I was almost sure that someone here, was into black powder cannons. I got into shooting a cannon back in 1980, when I took a cannon that I had bought in Hong Kong in 1966, when l was there in the Navy, and made it into a "shooter". I did have to "beef it up" a little, by inserting a "liner" made from iron pipe, and I welded a 1 1/2" pipe coupling on the "breech end", to keep it from exploding with a ball in it. I originally had a "cap" on the end, but through experimentation, I found that it wasn't "safe enough" yet for my comfort. So I went to a "plug" and that worked. I shot that for a year or so, and I got "itchy" to make something "bigger" and "badder'. I ended up with a 1" smooth bore. Within a year, I had it fitted with open sights, and at 50 yrds. I could hit a 5" target. [When I get proficient with this site, I can put some pictures of "The Captain", and you can judge for yourself ] Anyhow, that's how I got into Black Powder. It wasn't long before I had purchased a 50 cal Hawkin, 1860 Navy Colt, and an 1858 Remington. Now, after retireing, sold the home, moved into a trailer, and mostly travel, visit grandkids and such, I only have the Remmy with me, and got the "Captain" stored at my nephews. I go to MI once a year to shoot it, and bring back memories. Enough hog wash, just thought I'd ask about other "cannon shooters" in case there were some of ya out here.
See ya in the discussions, Kickin' Mule, back to grazin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old June 16, 2012, 06:55 AM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I have no experience with cannons other than hand cannons.

You might send a private message to one of the moderators to ask them to move this to the Black Powder, and Cowboy Action Shooting forum. You would likely get more responses that way.
Old June 16, 2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Do some Googling. There are several good cannons only discussion forums.
Old June 17, 2012, 07:19 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

Back in the early 70's a friend and I made a 1" bore cannon and used black powder, a combination of dry and wet paper towels as wadding. This would embed small bits of paper towel 1/8 inch into solid wood. We went through several lbs of powder the summer of 76.
Old June 17, 2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Skadoosh

Kind of tough to shoehorn a cannon into the gun safe. There aren't many here who can do it.
Old June 17, 2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Pahoo

Fun but Dangerous

There aren't many old Buckskinners that have not gotten into cannons, somewhere along the line. Guess I'm no exception as I still have about five and one golf-ball mortar. These are a whole bunch of fun. ....

During one of my range times, there was a fella who showed up with a fairly large mortar and for compression, he hammered an empty soda can over some paper wadding. I'm guessing he put about a third to a half a can of powder. Everyone on the line stopped to watch the show. That is until the third round when one of his windows on his truck, shattered. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 17, 2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

I have quite a few smaller cannon. Haven't shot them in years, though.
Old June 18, 2012, 11:47 AM   #8
indy1919

Hey KickingMule..

I love Cannons.. They are real fun.. But can be a problem..

-- The 1st thing I would do is start Small.. Get a small cannon to play with..

-- Then Build up to another larger cannon that you feel comfortable with it..

-- Always treat the cannon as a possible bomb..

-- Always under load it to its maximum powder load..

Purchase your cannons for someone who has been in building them for a while

One place that I have found to have a nice cannon selection is

http://www.blackpowder-cannons.com/

A lot of variety and can build custom work.. Plus I have trusted the guy with my own fingers and eyes.. But there are other great cannon builders So do not stop there..