The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 23, 2010, 12:50 PM   #1
machrism

Glocks safe to use with +P?

I have heard that you have to get a hand gun built for +P but seem to hear alot of poeple who use them in the Glocks but have never seen a +P model made by them. Are these people that do it pushing the limits are what? My friend says Glocks are not made to handle it. What do you guys think?
Old October 23, 2010, 01:14 PM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
machrism I have heard that you have to get a hand gun built for +P but seem to hear alot of poeple who use them in the Glocks but have never seen a +P model made by them. Are these people that do it pushing the limits are what? My friend says Glocks are not made to handle it. What do you guys think?
Your friend is an idiot.

Glock has several models chambered in .357 Sig, .40S&W and 10mm.....all three are high pressure calibers. Shooting 9mm+P, 9mm+P+, .45acp +P or .45+P+ will not be a problem in Glock pistol.

Glock does however, warn against the use of reloaded ammunition in any of its handguns. Using reloaded ammo voids the warranty.

Very few handguns are marked "+P", I can only recall seeing that on some newer S&W small framed revolvers that have ".38 S&W Special +P" on the barrel.

I've yet to see an HK, SIG, FN, Beretta or other semiautomatic pistol with "+P" on the slide or frame.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 23, 2010, 01:21 PM   #3
IMightBeWrong

From what I understand, Glock pistols have always been built to handle +P loads but stopped advertising them as such to help cover themselves in case of litigation. Not sure if its true or not, but I've heard it from a couple of sources. Either way, Glock pistols should handle hot ammo no problem.
Old October 23, 2010, 03:21 PM   #4
g.willikers

There was a regular at our local club, who bought a bunch of military surplus 9mm for his Glock 17.
And boy, did that stuff ever bark and recoil.
It turned out to be machine gun rounds, lots hotter than pistol rounds.
He used that stuff all the time without complaint, except for the extra hard primers that didn't always go off the first time.
You probably needn't worry about +P ammo in your Glock.
Old October 24, 2010, 11:29 PM   #5
Mosin44az

I've never had a problem with Plus-P ammo in any of my four Glocks. There is no +P in .40, but as noted that is a high-pressure caliber.

I have shot Cor-bon in three of my Glocks with no problems.
Old October 26, 2010, 01:52 AM   #6
Eagle0711

All Seem To Agree

I was told by Glock Customer Service that the guns would handle hot NATO and European ammo. I would'nt worry in the least.
Old October 26, 2010, 02:51 AM   #7
Daryl

Quote:
Glock does however, warn against the use of reloaded ammunition in any of its handguns. Using reloaded ammo voids the warranty.
Most makers put "use only factory loaded ammunition" in their firearm owner's manuals, and while it may void the warranty, there's really no issue with properly loaded ammo. The only way they'd know if you shoot handloads is if one of said handloads blows up the gun.

It's a CYA move on the part of the makers.

Daryl
Old October 26, 2010, 04:00 AM   #8
voyager4520

In a 9mm Glock you can shoot 9mm Luger, +P, +P+, and 9mm NATO. 9mm Glocks were actually designed to be used with 9mm NATO which by SAAMI standards is +P. In a .45ACP Glock you can shoot +P but I don't think you can shoot .45 Super.

For the other chamberings there are no SAAMI standards for +P because the way they look at it .357SIG, .40SW, 10mm, and .45GAP have a maximum pressure that SAAMI doesn't recommend exceeding. I wouldn't shoot any of these cartridges marked +P in a Glock.

I don't know about the .380ACP Glocks.
Old October 26, 2010, 04:35 PM   #9
chikinhammr

+P? No problem.
Mag-40 Live Oak, FL, Oct. 2010
Old October 26, 2010, 10:42 PM   #10
BIG P

no problem shoot what ever +p you like
Old October 27, 2010, 04:09 AM   #11
LanceOregon

Even the new XDm handguns can go KABOOM !!

Glocks do tend to have the most spectacular Kabooms, though. Here is a 10mm Glock that had its barrel burst:

Last edited by LanceOregon; October 27, 2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old October 27, 2010, 04:23 AM   #12
NickW

Lance: Was that Glock 20 failure with factory or reloaded ammo?
Old October 27, 2010, 04:44 AM   #13
machrism

Damn. Those are some bad busts. Think I'll stay away from +P then.
Old October 27, 2010, 09:26 AM   #14
dnr1128

deleted

Last edited by dnr1128; October 27, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old October 27, 2010, 02:16 PM   #15
Nakanokalronin

You see kabooms with plastic guns more often since the plastic frames will give before steel does. On steel guns the kabooms usually mean bulged or split barrels with occasional slide damage. Its all about taking the path of least resistance and plastic has less resistance than steel.

Lead is ok in Glocks to an extent but you need to clean it well afterwards. Those who don't, kaboom. The 10mm is a a caliber many will reload for and if not done right, kaboom. Any over pressured reloads and guess what,kaboom. Make a .40 caliber gun on 9mm components, eventual kaboom.

Most of your LE agencies around the world use Glocks and factory ammo. If it was a plastic pistol problem they would not be used so widely as they are today.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; October 27, 2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old October 27, 2010, 03:54 PM   #16
Adam5

"Damn. Those are some bad busts. Think I'll stay away from +P then."

Those were not likely caused by +p or even +p+ ammo. They are normally caused by squibs or double charged reloads.

The Beatles
Old October 27, 2010, 06:13 PM   #17
AK103K

I shoot +P and +P+ out of all my Glock 9mm's on a fairly regular basis, and have never had an issue. I dont practice with them, but I do shoot probably 100 rounds or so of it a month.
Old October 28, 2010, 08:30 PM   #18
FreakGasolineFight

If you like explosions, you can.

It'd probably be all right to do with the 9mm models.
Old October 28, 2010, 09:28 PM   #19
ProjectCamaro

+P ammo is fine out of a Glock. I'm a Glock armorer and Glock specifically told us that it's fine in our classes.
If you were to have any problems just call Glock up and they'll fix your gun for you on their dime.
Old October 29, 2010, 07:02 AM   #20
Ozzieman

Your friend is an idiot. +1
I hope this thread doesn’t start another photo war of who can come up with the most blown up plastic guns.
I have a G26 that I have owned for 8 years. I carry only +p in the gun and every month I shoot the 10 rounds in the magazine I carry it in. That’s over 700 in that time and I know I shot numerous boxes of +p until I found what works best in the 26.
Your friend is an idiot.
Old October 29, 2010, 08:59 AM   #21
Dave85

Quote:
Damn. Those are some bad busts. Think I'll stay away from +P then.
That would have been a good decision if these were pictures of guns that were blown up from +P or +P+ ammo. We have no way of knowing that, because they were posted without any information about how they came about. Pictures of blown-up guns without that information are 100% useless to anyone. Presenting them out of context is misleading, and it has done you a disservice by falsely scaring you away from perfectly safe behavior.

I have yet to see a kaboomed gun that was not made so by overcharged ammo. These are almost always handloads. Glocks are safe with any factory +P and +P+ ammo you will find on your dealers shelves. Don't let pictures that have nothing to do with your question, and were posted only for shock value, convince you otherwise.
Old October 29, 2010, 10:56 AM   #22
machrism

True. THere was no proof that those pic's were from +P loads. I also have no reason to use the +P or variant in my Glock 30. I was just curous as to if I could get a straight answer and what you all thought. Looks like it sturred up things alittle bit.
Old October 29, 2010, 11:48 AM   #23
Ozzieman

Machrism I don’t think you stirred up things at all. You asked an intelligent question and for the most part you got what I feel were intelligent answers. There is nothing wrong or unsafe using +P in your 30 as long as the gun is in good condition and maintained that way.
My point is that every time a question like this is asked photos of blown up guns appear out of thin air with no information.
Dave 85 said it better than I could. Thank you Dave85.l
Old October 29, 2010, 01:01 PM   #24
booker_t

Your friend is wrong. He may or may not be an idiot to boot.

The fact that people have been shooting hot loads from Buffalo Bore and Double Tap and other "boutique" factory loaders through their Glocks in nearly every caliber available is evidence enough that they can handle the higher pressures.

My personally owned Glock 20 has successfully discharged 3,000+ samples of DoubleTap products; from 135gr Nosler JHP up to 200gr FMJ-FP. They pack some serious heat compared to your standard 100mm fun pills, like the PNC 175gr JHP.

I have shot the 230gr cast lead rounds through my Glock, and unless you enjoy cleaning your barrel extensively, I would stay away from them. I haven't noticed any issues from shooting that round, but it takes a bit more time and attention to detail to get a mirror-clean finish back to your bore. Not worth it to me, YMMV.
Old October 29, 2010, 04:18 PM   #25
Silent Bob

All these posts when all that has to be said is "Yes, the Glock can handle +P ammunition". But the KB fanboys can never resist.

Trying to cook up anti-Tyrannosaur handloads that would make Elmer Keith exclaim "What the hell was that?!" at your reloading press for your Glock, especially with the factory barrel, not such a good idea.
Closed Thread