The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 20, 2005, 09:14 AM   #26
NRAhab

I would choose "A". Anyone who tucks a polo shirt into shorts deserves to be beaten within an inch of their lives.
Old September 20, 2005, 09:53 AM   #27
elksnoutmtman

Muggin's

I'm an old Fart! I carry a cane!

It's a 1" oak "fighting cane," with a wider neck than most, and the "crook" comes to a sharpened end. Go on line and type in "Cane Fighting." The cane is always in my hand ready for any attack. Not hidden under any cloths that require reaching for the weapon. I have a good 6' reach with the cane. I would take the cane over any knife and if you don't have your gun in your hand, best not give me any forwarning of wicked intent. The worst thing about the cane is that we have forgotten how easy it is to kill with a stick. A head blow that is made with much force is leathel. Useing methods described in some of the on line teachings of Cane Fighting, you can easly hold off more than one attacker.
There are NO restrictions in carying a cane. You can take it any where at any time, and many times, you will be offered help because of the thoughts that you are cripled. Far from it! Armed with a cane, you are the most leathel weapon at hand and you are ready for action in a split second.

I might add here that I am not a typical OLD MAN. I swim, usually at least 4 miles a week and practice my cane fighting techniques often. I don't feel above being attached, but I am far better armed than most anyone would think. And it's Sneekie, treachous and fun to do, and gives you the confidence to display that LOOK that says, "Pick another target.". LOL

I live in Nevada where gun law's are some of the most liberal in the USA and I own guns and carry when it's practical.
Just thought I would comment about this, since it's a pretty well kept secret.
Regards.... Elk . . .
Old September 21, 2005, 11:36 AM   #28
blackmind

Are you talking about a CaneMasters cane? Cool!

It's funny, but if you try to get on an airline flight with a Kubotan on your keychain, they'll confiscate it (and they have the option of charging you). If you go to get on that same flight with an oak "fighting" cane, which looks for all intents and purposes like a regular wooden "old man's" cane, you can take it on. Heck, I don't know for sure if the TSA differentiates between regular and combat canes. If I showed up, claimed a medical (knee) infirmity, walked with a limp, and carried a CaneMasters cane, would they stop me and say, "No way, this is a 'combat cane,' you can't pass with it"?

-blackmind
Old September 21, 2005, 12:20 PM   #29
joab

elksnoutmtman
Good idea, with the gray hair I might be able to get away with it, without drawing too much attention to myself