The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2002, 10:33 AM   #1
Alex Johnson

Best press for reloading 32 acp

I will soon be getting a 32 acp guardian and I am considering purchasing the necessary items to load it. I know there has been talk about reloading the 32 acp on this board before, but I still haven't really found the specific information I'm looking for. Are cast bullets readily available for the 32 or is the supply limited to fmj? Also, what press do you recommend, I have acess to a Dillon 550 which is my fathers and also a couple single stage presses like the Rockchucker. Would, all things considered, it be just as easy to load these diminutive rounds on a single stage as it would on a progressive? I know I'll probably not be shooting this gun a whole lot, but I still enjoy reloading and this would appear to be a challenging cartridge to reload and I can't imagine it would cost a whole lot either if I can find a source for cast bullets or cast my own.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old December 1, 2002, 10:52 AM   #2
capbuster

Alex, since you are planning on loaded a limited number you might want to consider using the RCBS rockchucker press that you mentioned. You should only have to buy dies,a shell holder,and components and this would be much less than it would cost to adapt the 550 over to 32acp. This is a small case to handle and the rockchucker would give you lots of room to work. I would think that great care must be taken with the powder charges on such a small case. A fluxuation of only a few tenths of a grain could make life very interesting. There is alot of information on the internet concerning loading this caliber and if you havent already done so , you might use the search feature at this forum and others for some great tips.
Old December 2, 2002, 10:33 AM   #3
Intel6

Definatly use the 550. The .32 ACP cases are very small and you will be handeling them a lot if you use a single stage press. If you use a 550, you put the empty case in the press and get out a loaded one so it cuts down on handeling the cases too much. Remember with a single stage you have to handle an individual piece of brass a lot and end up putting it in and taking it out of the press 3 times. If you have bigger hands or have problems handeling small things dropping cases can get frustrating.
Old December 6, 2002, 03:39 PM   #4
Timothy

Alex: Comforting to see that I'm not the Lone Ranger when it comes to loading 32 ACP. Some people laugh but, like you, I enjoy reloading.
I use a RCBS single stage. It is slow but fun. Just for fun I timed the process one night. Here are the times for loading 50 rounds. Steady pace...no hurry.

De prime 4 min.
Size 4 min.
Expand and flare 4 min.
Prime 4 min.
Charge 5 min.
Seat 10 min.
Taper crimp 5 min.

Total 36 min. for 50 rounds

Each visit to the range I shoot about 100 rounds, so 1 1/2 hours of fun getting ready. Big Woop!
I get my Remington brass from Midway $83.99/1000
I use National Bullet (In Ohio) 77gr. LRN $27.00/1000
I use Redding Dies
If you have any questions that I can help with just ask.
Old December 6, 2002, 04:20 PM   #5
cheygriz

Unless you have the fingers of a surgeon or a concert violinist, use the Dillon! You don't want to handle these tiny little cases with your fingers any more than is absolutely necessary.

And welcome to the itty bitty reloading club. I reload .25 ACP when I feel the need for some "Zen" type experience.

If nothing else, reloading .25 and .32 will definitely teach you how to concentrate on what you're doing.
Old December 8, 2002, 10:40 PM   #6
Paul Fitz Jones

.25 and .32 auto brass

I had my local Scout troop sort and package my lifetime collection of many thousands of all sizes of once fired brass in all calibers that I collected as a police and civilian rangemaster and Nra instructor plus my own competition. I have a thousand or more each of .25 and .32 automatic and a fellow in the Netherlands was extremely happy to buy my 400 .32 short brass that he had not been able to buy since WW1. Send for my remaining inventory list.
Police Firearms Instructor