The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 8, 2013, 11:24 PM   #26
Liambobbi

Sks baby
Old July 9, 2013, 06:55 AM   #27
MattShlock

Not my intent to limit it to rimfires of any type, that's up to you. However, it is a general "rifle" forum...

M-6 anyone?

AR-7 or whatever they are called today!?

BTW, Teddy used to hunt big cats in Africa w/buckshot...
Old July 9, 2013, 03:49 PM   #28
BigMike349

Re: Let's See Your "Survival" Rifle

I don't have one but I would have an H&R single shot 12ga with a shortened barrel and a rifled gun adapter for 22lr. I'm not sure if I would keep the wood stock and store ammo and the adapter in it or get an adjustable stock. I just love the idea of using the caliber adapters in a shotgun. If you have to scavenge ammo and have a bunch of adapters it makes it easier to find compatible ammo and increases the defensive/hunting capabilities of a single gun. I also saw someone who cut a groove in the wood fore end and glued in a firestarter strip.
Old July 9, 2013, 03:57 PM   #29
csmsss

i always find survival scenarios humorous. Each of us thinks when everything breaks down, that we're going to feed ourselves with the little critters. Yet that's what each of your neighbors is thinking as well. There's not going to be a hare, squirrel, groundhog or any other four-legged protein source left anywhere once all this survivaling begins.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:12 PM   #30
BigMike349

Re: Let's See Your "Survival" Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmsss View Post
i always find survival scenarios humorous. Each of us thinks when everything breaks down, that we're going to feed ourselves with the little critters. Yet that's what each of your neighbors is thinking as well. There's not going to be a hare, squirrel, groundhog or any other four-legged protein source left anywhere once all this survivaling begins.
Look at the earlier post from idek. It depends on your idea of survival. I think most people (including myself) were thinking of a wilderness survival situation where civilization still exists and other people are more likely allies than enemies. If civilization collapsed and people were competing for resources you might be right depending on the circumstances.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:28 PM   #31
dylanf55

definitely my tikka t3 lite SS .270 win and my 44 mag Virginian Dragoon for protection
Old July 10, 2013, 12:06 AM   #32
Pond, James Pond

I made a bolt on stock for my Ruger MkIII 512. Not a rifle, per se, but I'd probably take that. I need more training with it and re-work the cheek weld and I'd like some sort of optic, but that would work for me.
Old July 10, 2013, 06:33 PM   #33
g.willikers

That would be an illegal firearm, without special paperwork, here.
In addition to the AR7 and bow and arrow that I previously mentioned, I will also include a good rod and reel.
And a tomahawk.
Old July 10, 2013, 07:10 PM   #34
highpower3006

Sticking to the OP's concept of a light rifle that folds or breaks down for ease of storage/transport I have the choice of two different rifles.

#1 would be this Browning SA22:

Or this 10-22:

Of the two the SA22 is by far the most accurate with the broadest range of ammo types and brands.
Old July 10, 2013, 09:33 PM   #35
Sure Shot Mc Gee

No rifle. Just a simple cross-bow and a sharp machete is all I think I'll ever need. I see no need for in your face confrontations with anything that's left breathing. I'm not apposed to bushwhacking or booby traps. In order to promote me and my family's longevity under such bizarre circumstances.

S/S
Old July 10, 2013, 10:21 PM   #36
armoredman

I guess this would qualify. Five rounds ready and a spare mag in the stock. 7.62x39mm.

Old July 11, 2013, 02:02 AM   #37
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
That would be an illegal firearm, without special paperwork, here.
A SBR, I believe.

Over here it is illegal to make an existing firearm shorter beyond a minimum length, but it is not illegal to make a firearm longer, so those Glock stocks and carbine conversions where you sort of bolt your G17 into a picatinny'ed frame are all OK to own.
Old July 11, 2013, 12:01 PM   #38
osirus82

I love the .22 round and have several to choose from- a old single shot marlin bolt, a sig522 and a .22 6 shooter pistol. But if i had to choose a single survival gun i choose my glock .40 sub2k like 6lbs maybe with 30 round clip- plus clips are interchangeable with glock 22,23 and 27's. and it folds in half
Old September 1, 2013, 08:29 AM   #39
Husqvarna

If I was stranded in some sort of survival situation I wouldn't want some takedown rifle, I may be hurt, disorientated (and if there are two pieces required then one is missing, I am already unlucky if the plane has crashed so...)

Guess I take my savage mkII
Old September 1, 2013, 09:07 AM   #40
MattShlock

Someone should make a movie like that! And in the end the guy looking for the other half of his gun is eaten by wolves. Whaddya think?
Old September 1, 2013, 09:37 AM   #41
kraigwy

I'm not in to survival scenarios. I have a gun safe full of guns which I don't plan on getting rid of whether I had to survive or not.

But in the spirit of the topic, I'll chime in.

I want to Alaska in '72 working on the Rail Road, I was sent to Healy where there was no place to live but a hotel, but no place for a family, I had a wife and two small kids. So I squatted on RR land and built a little log cabin.

I live there two years. In the winter I got laid off and there was zero jobs. I had to feed my family any way I could.

Then I had several guns, but used one to feed my family through the winter, that was a Savage Model D, 22/410 over and under. It worked, we survived on rabbits, ptarmigan, and fish.

So if I was to have to do it again, (which I wont) I'd pick the same gun, even though I have a gun safe containing just about any firearm style you can imagine.

Not all situations are the same. Later in my 22 years in Alaska I spent a great deal of time living with the Alaska Natives on the Bering Sea. (I was a company commander of a Native Alaskan NG Company).

These people had a different requirement for a "survival gun", that being what they could get ammo for, because like Healy, there are few jobs, no jobs means no money (except for their monthly guard check). They survived by hunting, to hunt marine animals you can't get by with a 22/410, but you shoot what you could get ammo for. The Guard had lots of ammo, so these guys picked a gun that would shoot Guard ammo, started with an '06, 308 and now 223s.

Now with the cheap surplus rifles and ammo, a lot of these guys have went to the Mosin.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 1, 2013, 09:57 PM   #42
jaysouth

Here is my Topper 30-30. The barrel has been cut to 16.5 inches and weights about 5 pounds.

I reload 113 Lee cast bullets at 800 fps for small game, it's functionally my .22 rf at a time when .22s are hard to come by. With 165 cast loads at 1,800, I have killed lots of deer and feral pigs. And in the event of need, factory .30-30 is easy to come by.

For a true 'survival rifle' I would install iron sights to back up the Bushnell TRS-25.
Old September 2, 2013, 09:55 AM   #43
SR420

I don't own a .22, but my dad owns this .22 Magnum rifle that he purchased in 1960.
I installed a nice Leupold on it this year for his 81st birthday.

My personal survival rifles are 5.56 NATO and larger calibers.

Last edited by SR420; September 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old September 2, 2013, 01:46 PM   #44
Legionnaire

Yes, it's heavy, but hard to beat the functionality of a .22mag/20 gauge combo. Capable of taking game birds and everything from squirrel to whitetail. Iron sights are still in place, too, if the scope got dinged and needed to be pulled.

Old September 2, 2013, 02:07 PM   #45
armoredman

Buddy of mine has a Savage .410/22lr combo he is very proud of, and he should be - he's taken dove on the wing and rabbit on the run with it. Nothing wrong with a good combo gun...unless it's one of those Crossfire monstrosities of the 90s. Gah.

If I ran out the door right now, (hobble slowly, actually), it would be this setup,

...with chest pouch of ammo. However, I don't foresee this happening any time soon.
Old September 2, 2013, 04:03 PM   #46
Budda

I have my dads old AR-7, he kept it in the Cessna 210 as a survival rifle. very accurate and fun to shoot.

file photos,

Old September 3, 2013, 10:25 AM   #47
g.willikers

Nice.
Is that an original Armalite?
Old September 3, 2013, 08:06 PM   #48
Budda

Let's See Your "Survival" Rifle

Yes. Original AR-7. Not a Henry. Super accurate. Rebuilt it after 15years of use. Still good to go.
Old September 4, 2013, 12:11 AM   #49
Geezerbiker

For me a survival rifle is something to get small game with if I'm lost out in the wilderness. The only activity that would get me out in there in the first place is hunting.

So what I have is survival rounds rather than a survival rifle. I make up cast bullet loads with small amounts of fast burning powder for whatever rifle I'm carrying so that I could pop a rabbit or other small game that a full power rifle round would blow all to hell.

I also practice with these low power rounds not just to be good with them but because it's fun. I find the point where they shoot to aim with my sights and get to where I can judge that distance. With the low power loads I'm usually shooting them on the way up rather than the way down like on full power rounds.

If I could still hike, I'd carry something like a Cricket single shot handgun. I'm thinking about getting one for no particular reason anyway...

My concealed carry gun is either my Colt detective special or my M1911a1. I hope to never need to use any of my survival tools...

Tony
Old September 4, 2013, 01:45 AM   #50
Sheikyourbootie

Well, if using home cast bullets with fast burning (for rifle) powders is your criterion, then I'll keep my "Appalachian AR" Marlin 336 in 30-30.

With a Lyman 311041 mold and hollow pointed version of the same mold...it can be pushed with a max load of Varget or Leverevolution powder for speeds up to 2400fps and is great on Boar/bear/deer/coyote out to 200 yards, or the bullet can be downloaded and hollow pointed for use with Alliant 2400 powder down in the 1000fps range for things like rabbits or chupacabra or whatever small game you have in mind.

Hell on squirrels, though it saves time if you are trying to make an aerobatic dish of carnage asada: