The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 1, 2012, 04:20 PM   #1
freebird72

Handguns, a more personal gun than long guns?

Though I adore all my guns, I find myself more attached to my handguns as opposed to my long guns. I tend to see my long guns as tools, while I see my handguns as entertainment; though, they are still tools. My handguns feel much more natural and personal to me than any of my rifles or shotguns.

So I was wondering, do you find your handguns to be on a different level of attachment than your long guns?
Old October 1, 2012, 04:52 PM   #2
tekarra

Actually no. I consider a handgun more of a tool whilst a long gun is more an object of affection and great utility.
Old October 1, 2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Skadoosh

I am far more fond of my lever action than any of my handguns.
Old October 1, 2012, 04:58 PM   #4
osbornk

No. My first gun I got was a 22 rifle I got as a kid around 1960. It was a single shot but I always wanted a semi-automatic 22. The first new gun I ever bought was a Marlin 60 just after I bought a Marlin 25 magnum rifle with a scope used. My pistols are more recent and I guess I haven't properly bonded with them yet since I had none in my youth.
Old October 1, 2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Venom1956

I prefer my handguns to rifles as well. Two exceptions. My 10/22 that I built myself when I turned 18 (also first gun) and my fathers Browning BLR are extremely dear to me. I have several other long guns but I hardly use them but I know they'll be there if it NEED them.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 1, 2012, 05:01 PM   #6
idek

For me, the issue of "personal" is a matter of which gun I create memories with. I make more memories hunting than I do at a range, and since I use long guns for hunting, I have a more personal view of them.

Also, on average, long guns tend to be more customizable than handguns in terms of adding optics, stocks, slings, rails, etc. This is especially true of ARs, 10/22s, and some shotguns. So I don't know if that makes them more personal, but it does mean they can be more personalized.

Last edited by idek; October 1, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old October 1, 2012, 05:20 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

I consider my hunting rifles to be more personal than my handguns.

My handguns are things I enjoy, but my hunting rifles and I have been through same damn serious business together. I can tell you about of hunts, who I was with, where I was and what game I took, or missed, through those guns.
Old October 1, 2012, 05:40 PM   #8
Hammerhead

I consider my handguns more personal than long guns. I don't even like to let people handle my handguns.
Old October 1, 2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Archer 9505

Never gave it much thought

However, I named my Model 70. Never thought to name any of my handguns; so there's my answer. No.

Last edited by Archer 9505; October 1, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old October 1, 2012, 05:47 PM   #10
youngunz4life

I too disagree with the notion that a handgun is more personable. It can go either way, but many times rifles have a place in someone's heart(like a family rifle as only one example).
Old October 1, 2012, 06:23 PM   #11
orionengnr

Absolutely.

That was not always the case, but I moved to a Free State and started carrying about seven years ago.

While my rifles/shotguns may sit in the safe for extended periods of time, every handgun I own gets carried or shot somewhat regularly, or it gets sold. That makes for a far more "personal" relationship.
Old October 1, 2012, 06:40 PM   #12
CWKahrFan

Interesting thoughts... I do more puttering, renovating, upgrading and customizing on my handguns so consequently I spend a lot more time with them and can easily see and feel the changes I make on them... Naturally I feel more of a personal link with them... They are partly the result of my handiwork. I also shoot them WAY more than my long guns.

I can see how this would also be true if I did more of the same with my long guns but it just hasn't evolved that way... as much... Yet.
Old October 1, 2012, 08:24 PM   #13
platform

I think if the mind set is 'self-defense' -- handguns would be more personable

if the mind set is collecting history of the battlefield, or hunting or target shooting, or the science of reloading -- rifles and their customizations would be reflecting more your character -- and therefore more personable.
Old October 1, 2012, 09:47 PM   #14
PeterGreg

I've always got warm and fuzzies from my hunting long guns and my SXS bird guns in particular. Memories of hunts, dogs and friends, it's powerful stuff. No such connection with a pistol and I doubt there ever will be eventhough all I use now is pistols.
Old October 1, 2012, 09:58 PM   #15
Chuckusaret

I think of most of my handguns as tools, the antiques as trophies, and the long guns are for pleasure/enjoyment.
Old October 1, 2012, 10:00 PM   #16
allaroundhunter

Quote:
So I was wondering, do you find your handguns to be on a different level of attachment than your long guns?
Yes, I do find them to be on a different level than my long guns, but I am opposite of you. My handguns are most all tools, and I am much more fond of most of my long guns.

The only handgun that comes close to my long guns as far as sentimental value is my Colt Commander.

Quote:
I think if the mind set is 'self-defense' -- handguns would be more personable
I think oppositely. With the mindset being self defense, I will pick a utilitarian gun that will be accurate, affordable to practice with, and efficient at what I want. For my other guns I can find one that is just flat-out pretty and just take it out of the safe to admire it if I can't afford to shoot it too much.
Old October 1, 2012, 10:09 PM   #17
sgms

Guess I'm the odd man out, I don't prefer long gun over pistols or the other way round either. I do have favorites among each group though.
Old October 1, 2012, 11:26 PM   #18
pete2

I think handguns and shotguns are more personable. Rifles are like women, can't live with them can't live without them. Just when you think all is well, wont group, very fickle. A good hand gun or shotgun wont let you down,
Old October 2, 2012, 03:43 AM   #19
GM2

I can't separate the two I am fond of every weapon I have. Though I do seem to spend more time with the handguns.
Old October 2, 2012, 04:10 AM   #20
giaquir

Tools and Toys
Old October 2, 2012, 04:51 AM   #21
Baylorattorney

I love my rifle much more though I'm more intimate with my handguns. Lol
Old October 2, 2012, 06:17 AM   #22
Pistolgripshotty

I gotta say I love my shotguns...
Old October 2, 2012, 06:35 AM   #23
jephthai

I think Platform is right-- depends on your interests.

For me, I carry a handgun frequently, and that makes it seem more tool to me than hobby. The rifles are where I'm learning things, competing, and challenging my abilities. I consider handguns necessary, but boring at this point.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old October 2, 2012, 07:43 AM   #24
Skans

I wold agree. My hunting rifle is a Savage 110 30-06 - very generic, but it gets the job done. However, every handgun I have was purchased because I found something "special" about it. Shotguns are rather personal too.
Old October 3, 2012, 05:34 PM   #25
BigJimP

I'm attached to all of my guns....but more so to my handguns vs my rifles...but I'm pretty attached to my shotguns as well.

In terms of replacement cost on my current inventory of guns:

I've got close to $40,000 in handguns....
about $ 35,000 in shotguns....
( so maybe that's why I'm more attached )...

and only about $5,000 in rifles...

another $ 10,000 in reloading equipment...