The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: Field dressing: split the pelvis yes or no?
Yes 18 40.91%
No 26 59.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 25, 2007, 07:49 AM   #51
USNairman

I split it. I was taught that before you open up the deer you give the pelvic bone a good stomp with the heel of your foot and this breaks the bone and allows you to just cut through it and pull it apart. It never leaves a mess and makes the job much much easier.
Old August 25, 2007, 12:15 PM   #52
Ben4477

Please understand that I am primarily a meat hunter and like my venison to be of the highest standard possible. 1st I like to make sure that I have made the best single killing shot possible that will ruin as little meat as possible. This might mean a head shot if the deer is standing still & close enough, or a lung/heart shot if I can judge that I will not hit either shoulder. Yes, I do let a lot of deer go by, but we have a lot of deer up here in the northwoods of Wisconsin.

Once the deer is down, I take care in quickly gutting the aminal out. I have a orange 5 gallon pail with a lid that I keep all my gutting equipment in. It has a good fix 4-1/5" knife blade with a gut hook on it. (I like fix blades much eaiser to cleanup with soap & water, then a folding knife.) A fishing fillet knife (thin long sharp flexing blade) this is for cutting around the chute and freeing it up) Sting for tieing the chute (I did like the idea on plastic wire ties - will see how they work this year). A wire zip saw for cutting the pelvis. Roll of bailing twine; this I use to spread out the legs and tie off on some tree, Nice not to have to fight with a rolling deer. Gutting gloves, roll of paper towels, battery lantern & flashlight and small orange garbage bags for the trash & for the heart (when good).

I normally register the deer right away and that day or evening, have it all bucther up. Butchering the sooner the better if you can. This is one of my secrets to excellant tasting venison, the other is an excellant cook.

The more that you respect the bounty which was provide to you the more you will enjoy the hunt and the food it provides.

Respectfully to you all,

Ben - Rhinelander Wisconsin

Go Green Bay Packers

Last edited by Ben4477; August 25, 2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old August 25, 2007, 03:03 PM   #53
Rey B

You had me all the way till that last line Ben...Go Bears!
Old August 25, 2007, 03:42 PM   #54
Mainah

Thanks Ben. I'm considering butchering my deer this year, I've never done it, but I did spend over ten years as a professional cook. This advice is great, thanks again.

Sorry, but go Steelers.
Old August 26, 2007, 07:44 PM   #55
Charles S

Ben4477,

Excellent post with a lot of good advice. I agree with almost all of your advice, although (personal preference) I am not a fan of gut hooks or longer knives. My favorite hunting knife is only 3 1/2 inches, but again that is preferential.

Again....great post.