The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 25, 2023, 08:57 AM   #1
Adventurer 2

FYI For Always Having Your Hunting License With You

Recently, I purchased a lifetime hunting and fishing license.
If you are like me - you sometimes can't find your license.
Well, problem solved - There is an app for your phone which lets you keep your license digitally with you at all times. It's the DWR app for your state.
I'm very happy as i don't tend to misplace my phone as often as i misplace my hunting/fishing license.
Old February 25, 2023, 02:42 PM   #2
taylorce1

There is no such animal in CO as a lifetime hunting license. I do have a lifetime habitat stamp however.
Old February 25, 2023, 03:00 PM   #3
Paul B.

I didn't have to buy mine. I got old enough that it was free.
Paul B.
Old February 25, 2023, 11:50 PM   #4
bamaranger

aged out

This spring, for me fittingly in the middle of spring gobbler season (the best hunting season) I will join the ranks of the fish and hunt for free club. My last purchased license, I opted for the laminated version, and it should last for as long as I ever get to hunt.

I hate cell phones/iphones but their convenience and versatility cannot be denied. They are an immediate link to help if you need it.......etc, etc......IF YOU HAVE A SIGNAL, IF YOU HAVE A CHARGE, AND IF YOU HAVE THE DANG THING WITH YOU. I've hunted for so many years without one, I don't get to nervous about the fact that I may not have mine along. Not a signal in a lot of the places I hunt anyhow. Last thing I want is the buck of a lifetime closing in and my phone squawks because I didn't mute or turn it off.

We are now as a society joined at the hip with the gadgets. On public land near my home, one is now required to log in and out with their phone (a paper in/out is an option, but not as convienient). Ever seen an entire family out at a restaurant, and the whole bunch is glued to their gadgets? Watched the Super Bowl with good friends this year, half the time, they were glued to their phone. Some adolescents over the years have been known for aloofness and disregard for their elders views. These days, young folks have the world in their pocket....they don't have to listen to anybody to find out the answers. Ever been to lunch with the guy that fact checks everything all the time?

Yeah, I got one, a flip phone.......but it's off most all the time, 'cause anytime I need it, the battery seems dead if I leave it on. That's another hassle, you have to constantly take the time to charge the thing.

OK, Fudd like, old guy rant over, hope at least a bit of it made someone
Old February 26, 2023, 04:21 AM   #5
NHSHOOTER

Here in NH you can have your fishing license digitally on your phone but your hunting license has to be a paper copy due to the fact that your deer tag is attached to your license and once it is detached your tag has been "used". I to am close to the "age" but here in NH about 5 or 6 yrs ago they changed a free lifetime license at age 68 to now you have to pay 7bucks and it has to be renewed yearly, 7 bucks is not much money but...
Old February 26, 2023, 09:51 AM   #6
old roper

taylorce1, You need to read Co reg on how to get hunting tags. You have to buy Qualifying hunting Licenses and that's on page 5, 2023 reg. If you read down bottom.
Veteran Lifetime Combo "Free" Vet has to be 60% disabled or Purple Heart recipient.

First responder Lifetime Combo "Free" Permanent occupational
disability
NRA Life Member
Old February 26, 2023, 11:19 PM   #7
taylorce1

I know about free lifetime small game/fishing combo licenses, I just don't qualify for them. I managed to leave my military career with under 20% rating, and I've never been a first responder. These are special licenses to deserving people, and most the general hunting public won't qualify. So they arent available to everyone, so they don't exist for the large majority of Colorado residents.

Most states that offer lifetime hunting licenses don't distinguish between big and small game either. They might have to buy an additional tag for deer or turkey and such for a nominal fee. That's how my buddies lifetime Oklahoma hunting license works.

Last edited by taylorce1; February 27, 2023 at 09:34 AM.
Old February 27, 2023, 04:29 PM   #8
Adventurer 2

To be exact - the state i live in only offers the hunting lifetime licensing for small game (which includes pheasant and quail).
The information i wanted to share is that you can use the DWR app to have your hunting/fishing license with you at all times (provided you have your smart phone with you).
This is an example link to the DWR App for the state of Utah:
https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-and-fishing-app.html
Old March 2, 2023, 04:33 PM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Minnesota such lifetime licence's are available. {But _only for State residence.}
Old March 26, 2023, 02:56 PM   #10
The Happy kaboomer

I paid #9.00 for my lifetime license here in SC......Good for as long as I'm above the grass.
Old March 27, 2023, 05:29 AM   #11
stagpanther

Timely thread. I had pretty much stopped hunting, but I just checked my state of Maine and I'm qualified/old enough to apply for a lifetime permit in just a few months and it only costs 7 or 8 bucks; same cost as a few french fries or a thimble of beer at a local bar--why not?

Last edited by stagpanther; March 27, 2023 at 08:51 AM.
Old March 27, 2023, 10:17 AM   #12
ocharry

yep i have one...my state (Missouri) has one you can buy or i think when you turn 62-65 somewhere in there it is free...so i bought it when i was in my mid 50's...free hunt and fishing for ever...lol...

the card here comes like a credit card..so i made a little leather sheath for it and it is ALWAYS in my pocket....only trouble is the one i carry is in about 3 pieces now.....but ..i have a brand new one hanging from a paper clip on the shelf over the pooter...but now that im pushing 70 (man where has it gone) i do most all of my hunting here at the farm...me and ellie girl..(my faithful german shorthair) do still pound the thickets and brush piles..turning my place into a deer sanctuary..and i do use the neighbors farms for some yote calling and hunting...but ellie has to stay home for those times..she gets pi$$ed about it too..so i do still use the card some..lol

as the old saying goes..."NEVER GIVE UP"

ocharry
Old March 28, 2023, 03:10 PM   #13
skywag

I have a lifetime "veteran" access to Nat'l Parks and recreation areas.
Old March 29, 2023, 01:38 PM   #14
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I don't know of any State wide DNR App retaining a licencees information.