The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 7, 2010, 11:30 AM   #1
breed

10mm to 45?

any one know if i can change my 10mm delta elite to shoot 45's? and what's all involved in doing it...thanks for any help you can offer.
Old January 7, 2010, 06:24 PM   #2
drail

I think it would be more cost effective to trade it for a .45 ACP. I think your breechface is too small and the ejector and extractor will be wrong for a .45.
Old January 8, 2010, 08:20 AM   #3
CowTowner

I guess I really want to know why would you want to?

However, I would trade it for a .45 ACP. The Delta could be worth a straight trade.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 8, 2010, 11:57 AM   #4
goodspeed(TPF)

You would have to cut the Breech Face in order to fit the base of the .45 case, bend/tune your extractor (or just install a new one), install a new recoil spring and guide rod and install a .45 barrel/bushing and contour the feed ramp on the frame. All of this work is unnecessary though. Sell/swap your gun and get a .45. Good luck. -Goodspeed

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old January 8, 2010, 12:31 PM   #5
hobunchastuf

Get another upper slide, barrel setup and firing components. Then install a 45acp ejector before slipping your new slide assembly on. Take note if you're running series 70 or 80 because the extractor and safeties are different.

Good gunsmith can have you swapping calibers at the range for a little over $400, higher for top shelf components. Just my 2 cents.
Old January 9, 2010, 06:45 PM   #6
41mag10mm

Keep the DE and save for another .45 or give Bob Serva at Fusion Firearms a buzz. He can fix you up with an upper, match barrel and bushing, front and rear sites, etc... The 10mm is experiencing something of a resurgence so don't worry about hanging on to a dead caliber. You could also do what I plan to do with mine. I'm getting a match barrel and bushing from Fusion in .40S&W so I can shoot for less $ and be able to scrounge brass at the range. Have a good day and keep your powder dry.
Old January 10, 2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Hunter Customs

There's a very good chance you may have to change the frame ramp angle and depth to make the gun reliable with all types of 45 ammo.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com