The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 15, 2006, 08:16 PM   #1
Maser

Best and worst NFA firearms you've shot?

Well, like the name of the thread says, what's the best and worst you have shot?

For me the best was a Thompson. Great gun and very easy to control. The worst was a full auto M14. That thing kicked the heck out of my shoulder.
Old June 15, 2006, 10:38 PM   #2
VUPDblue

I don't believe there can be a worst. Just varying degrees of greatness...
Old June 16, 2006, 12:00 PM   #3
OneInTheChamber

Haven't ever fired an NFA. In my opinion, there is no such thing as a bad NFA item!
Old June 16, 2006, 02:34 PM   #4
MisterPX

Best: Tie between original MP40 bringback and original MP44 bringback.
Worst: 7" AR SBR with JP muzzlebrake.
Old June 16, 2006, 08:39 PM   #5
Samuel_Hoggson

Best: quad .50. 'Nuff said.

Worst: Mac 10 .45. Uncontrollable, about as aesthetic as a box of cereal - pretty much pointless (no pun intended).......but at least the ammo's relatively expensive. Tied with an unmodified..........repeat, unmodified..........9mm CAR15. What's not to like: trigger slap, bouncy. But look at the bright side: at least you can egg your expensive lower's FCG holes. All so you can shoot a pistol cartridge in a platform that handles 5.56? Geez, I can't wait to permanently block the mag well on my M16s. Uhh..........................not.

Sam
Old June 16, 2006, 10:39 PM   #6
gunslinger555

worst is one with the reciver cut
Old June 17, 2006, 03:27 AM   #7
cuate

Best & Worse NFLs fired

Best is a tossup between a 1918 BAR and a 1928 Thompson. Worse was a Sten.
The BAR was accurate, the barrel always got hot enough to burn you is you accidently touched it. If that old John M. Browning masterpiece had been belt fed, the M-60 that replaced it would hand been aborted at birth!
Old June 17, 2006, 05:31 AM   #8
MDW Guns

I would not say that there are bad NFA weapons.
However, the one NFA weapon I don't care to shoot again is this shooting flash light in .410!
On the other side, the Thompson gets my vote!
Check www.mdwguns.com for great deals!
Old June 17, 2006, 10:33 PM   #9
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

It all depends on how you figure "best."

As far as controlable in full auto fire goes - - There are several that are easy to shoot once you know the technique. Most accurate? Probably a stiff-stocked MP5 in semi auto. Fun? I still like my '28 Thompson, but the MP40 is great. I'm fond of the Uzi, though I have to be careful not to hurt myself with the folding stock. Never fired one with a wooden stock. Strangely, I've always doned well with the MAC series, in .45, 9x19, and .380, even without the Sionics suppressor.

Worst? The old Fairchild AR10 just flat HURTS me, full or semiauto. The American 180 .22 rimfire machinegun is unpleasant, at least the one i fired. The two brands of ammo we had were going off without bolt being fully closed. The noise was deafening and the brass and powder bits were painful.

M14 and M2 Carbine are both hard to handle on full auto but are very nice on semi. I've never fired a French Chauchaut but I hear they're terrible.

Best,
Johnny
Old June 17, 2006, 11:52 PM   #10
Jeff22

bad experiences

The first full auto weapon I ever fired was a Riesing SMG in .45 cal. It had a hideous L-O-N-G creepy trigger pull.

I've also got a fair amount of trigger time on the Uzi, Ingram M-10, H&K MP 5, M-16 and Colt 635 9mm SMG. I liked all of them.

I've also fired M1A1 Thompson guns. I liked that too, although the stock was a little long for me, and I have long arms.
Old June 21, 2006, 12:46 PM   #11
Arizona Fusilier

Best was a Thompson (think it was a 1928).

Worst was a Lewis gun. Just a jammamatic, that's all.
Old June 25, 2006, 10:21 AM   #12
CleverNickname

There's lots of machine guns that I've shot that were best in their own way, but the worst I've shot was the M3 Grease gun. The wire stock was not ergonomic at all and was very uncomfortable, and the ROF was so slow that after the first shot I wondered if the gun was in semi. Then I remembered that the M3 doesn't HAVE a semi-auto mode, and then finally the second round went off.
Old June 25, 2006, 02:41 PM   #13
Chaingunner

Do the toys I have access to as a Gunner's Mate count? I hope so...

For me, the best and worst goes to the same gun system: the Mk38 Mod1 25mm chaingun. Best because it lets you know you're still alive every time you squeeze the trigger (smell of ammonia, ridiculously loud "boom" definitely reccomend double hearing protection), worst because it just takes so long to load.

Full auto M14s are always fun, too... : ) If they hurt your shoulder, put a jacket on. You'll be ok.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis."
Old June 26, 2006, 01:36 AM   #14
KIWI10/22

Ive had a go with a few

M249 takes the cake, the GPMG was awsome aswell. There is no such thing as a bad NFA. I hunt with my silenced 10/22 thats a great gun aswell
Old June 26, 2006, 01:11 PM   #15
5whiskey

Mk 19 and the M2. By far the best. Off course, I've probably had more fun firing a 240G on fire and movement range than anything. It'll wear you're butt out in the first 50 meters, and then you have another 400 or so to go. It's so much fun though, firing on the run from the hip. Standing, kneeling. It was a blast. The only problem is that the idiots in our company see senior Marines having fun with it and they think they can do it, when in turn they can't safely move and fire with an M16.
Old June 26, 2006, 06:07 PM   #16
Csspecs

Worst NFA item = 15.8 inch barrel SBR.... Just pointless.

I just saw it, I did not have the chance to fire it.