The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 13, 2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Vinnie Harold

How do I buy a blue Colt Python 6 in.?

Hello.

I am in the market for the above gun. I have been on Gunbroker and they have many beautiful pythons listed. They price them from about $2000 and up.

How do I know what I am buying? They all have descriptions, but often times seller exaggerate the "newness" or the look of the revolver. If you have not actually held the pistol in your hand, can you really know what you are getting? Also, I am a novice as to what to look for. I know about marks etched on the cylinder and play in the cylinder, but I would need some to take apart the weapon and inspect it.

If you buy and do not like it then you pay shipping both ways if returns are allowed, and shipping costs from FFL to FFL can get expensive if you do it to often.

Are there knowledgeable people out there that somebody can pay to go out and find them a fine specimen in the desired pistol, and have that person inspect the pistol and basically give it the OK? If so, can anybody recommend somebody to me?

Thanks

Vinnie
Old November 13, 2012, 12:06 PM   #2
BigJimP

Buying a gun online - like a Python - that you can't hold in your hands and inspect closely ...is really foolish in my opinion.

Online return policies vary by seller ...and nothing is guaranteed by the online sites like gunbroker. In fact you might send off your cashiers check to the seller - and never get a gun / and the website will not be in a position to help you. Their feedback systems are pretty good....but its still a crapshoot in my opinion.

For a higher end revolver like a Python or a S&W model 27, which I think is comparable, - are transactions that you need to do in person at a local gunshop or maybe at a gunshow. Ideally, you might have a buddy who is knowledgeable about that model - that will go with you and help you / or some shops have guys that are very familiar with those models / some shops don't have a clue - except what the price is on a gun like one of these revolvers that probably comes in on consignment.

I've never heard of a 3rd party broker ...that could act as your agent ...buy and then ship the gun to your local FFL location - as a dealer. In theory it could be done - if the 3rd party had an FFL bought the gun and was reselling it to you as a dealer - you pay them, they ship it to your local FFL.

If you have to buy online .../ then at least deal with a real "brick and mortar" dealer that is using these websites to reach additional customers. At least then you have a real shop to call - get more photos - maybe a return policy, etc. But I'd still buy locally....even if you have to pay more - you'd be way better off in my opinion.
Old November 13, 2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Ed K

Check out the Colt forum they come up for sale there
Old November 13, 2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Sharpsdressed Man

If you agree to pay shipping both ways if you are not satisified, many sellers will give you a 3 day inspection on gunbroker, or if asked. However, that could cost you over $100 for both shipping to and from your FFL dealer to the seller.
Old November 13, 2012, 07:16 PM   #5
kcub

+1 on the Colt Forum

big difference between new in the box and shooter grade, know what you want
Old November 13, 2012, 08:02 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

You also need to check on a regular basis LGS, Pawnshops, etc.

I bought my 4" blued 2 years ago for $800.00. It's about 95%, no papers or box. I purchased it for a shooter. Shortly after I purchased it, I was in a LGS that had a 6" blued - no papers or box but about 95% as well. They had $800.00 on it. I waffled and then went back the next day to buy it - it was gone. They are out there . . . you just have to be patient, keep looking and don't waffle if you find one that is priced right and meets your criteria.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 14, 2012, 12:17 PM   #7
BigJimP

Patience....!! ....I knew I was lacking something....( but he's right ) !
Old November 14, 2012, 11:10 PM   #8
redhawk45

Check out Fugate firearms. Google it.
Old November 15, 2012, 01:42 AM   #9
FoghornLeghorn

I don't know about fugate. They have about the highest prices of anybody on the net. I don't like them. But that's just me.

I'd shop gunbroker and look for brick and mortar gunshops. Look for high numbers of positive feedback. Call and talk to the seller. Ask questions about the gun.

And always keep in mind that you might do all your homework but still not get the gun you expected. It happens to all of us. When it happens you either accept what you got or sell it and try again.
Old November 15, 2012, 02:08 AM   #10
TheGoldenState

Papers, 100%, 6 in

She's yours for way above avg asking price
Old November 15, 2012, 04:37 AM   #11
Redhawk5.5+P+

totally agree

Quote:
Buying a gun online - like a Python - that you can't hold in your hands and inspect closely ...is really foolish in my opinion.
Yep, if you have to ask, you have some learning to do son.

TBS, I did buy online, a new S&W 627 (.357 mag 8-shot) V-COMP for $1200+ OTD (MSRP $1700+). This was a factory backed up gun from a S&W retailer. I'm golden with that. Good luck
Old November 15, 2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Pointshoot

Educate yourself.

Is the best way to buy IMO. Find out everything you can about the gun. Go to gunshows and to shops. Check out various forums. Ask questions (as youve done).

When it comes to high end guns, this is the best method of purchasing. This may not satisfy our need for 'instant gratification', but its the most prudent way. (I was really into vintage side-by-side shotguns. They can be expensive.)

Looking back, the majority of the times I made a "less than smart" purchase of a gun, was when I hadn't done enough of my homework beforehand. On the great purchases I made, - - I had done my research and when a great gun at a good (or bargain) price came up - - I was prepared to jump on it NOW.

And one thing that has helped me, (and probably a lot of guys on this forum), is knowing that we don't actually need any particular gun. Most of us have a few others - - and theyll all do the job of putting a hole where a hole needs to be put. This knowledge can prevent foolishness.

The self education & search is part of the fun, and for a lot of folks - - - the most fun of the whole process. Good luck.

P.S. - - there's a gunshop in one city in our state that sells all their guns at list price and above. This is for new current production guns. Everything in that shop is way overpriced, new & used. - - Reason ? Its in an area with a lot of high tech industry newbie types with more money than sense or experience when it comes to guns. You can buy what you want with a fat wallet & an attitude of 'who cares what it cost'. Buying smart takes time & effort to build the knowledge needed.

Last edited by Pointshoot; November 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old November 15, 2012, 11:43 AM   #13
BigJimP

Its not always about the lowest price on these guns ....

I may seriously look at 25 high end revolvers at a big gun show / out of 1,000 or more revolvers there....and outright reject 15 or more of the ones I ask to pick up and inspect closely - based on condition alone. Its all the little things ...some spots in the barrel I don't like, a couple of scratches on the gun indicating something foolish happened ( like maybe it was dropped on a hard surface), something in the trigger doesn't feel right, screws on the frame are all buggered up, ...etc....

You can't do that on the internet....

We all have budgets ....but for a gun you're likely to keep for a lifetime ( like a high end S&W model 27 or a Coly Python ) ...a few hundred bucks over the next 30+ yrs is truly insignificant - in my opinion. Besides at a gunshow - you might get to meet the original owner..and talk to him about the gun, why he's selling it, etc...and its fun.
Old November 15, 2012, 01:33 PM   #14
redhawk45

Fugate price may be high but so is the quality.
Old November 15, 2012, 01:50 PM   #15
Baba Louie

You could always talk to your LGS owner and place a request into him. Tell him what you want, age, condition, finish, barrel length, your wallet depth, etc., maybe spot him some money and/or tell him if one comes in that meets your criteria, 1st dibs, etc... If it doesn't float your boat, he can put it in the display case and it'll probably be gone within the week.

Most any Python is better than no Python and they're all gonna cost a small fortune. Gotta plan on spending around $1.5K minimum, maybe more, maybe less.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old November 15, 2012, 09:29 PM   #16
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Fugate price may be high but so is the quality.
Dude, the point of the thread is that the OP can find a good Python and not have to pay loan shark prices.
Old November 15, 2012, 09:34 PM   #17
dreamweaver

you could start here:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506539
or email me and i'll put you in touch with a dealer that will find what you want.

tom
Old November 15, 2012, 10:24 PM   #18
SVO

One thing to keep in mind is to look for a Python that has the original factory grips. Lately, I've seen several Pythons for sale with aftermarket grips and the original grips available for an additional $200-300, No use in getting gouged by someone trying to extend the price of their Python.
Old November 16, 2012, 12:29 PM   #19
Wyoredman

PM me. The local pawn shop has one for $1100. I will give you his name and number.
Old November 16, 2012, 01:57 PM   #20
Skans

NO ONE is going to permit you to take a Python apart before purchasing it. There is too much risk of damaging it and this is really only recommended to be done by Colt.

If you are just looking for a nice, blued Python, I'd suggest looking for one manufactured in the late '80's or 1990's, because:

1. There is a better chance you will find an almost new in box Python
2. There is less likelihood that it's been beat to death or refinished.
3. It will probably have the proper grips, box and stuff that goes with it.
4. You won't be paying a premium for a nice '60's or '50's Python (good ones hard to find)
Old November 18, 2012, 09:02 AM   #21
rodfac

Save your shekels, mortgage the farm and watch the listings in Gunbroker for a complete idiot who'll sell one below market value. You'll need some luck...about the same as winning tonight's multi-gazillion lottery.

Buy a good Smith instead, you'll be happy for the rest of your life.

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:24 AM   #22
finecognac

I saw at at least 5 pythons at the gun show. I bought a 6" bright stainless steel. The dealer told me he bought a whole collection from some older gentleman. They all look unfire except for a blue 4". The price ranges from 1400 to 2200. On my way to pick mine up in about 30 minutes.

If you need the dealer info, let me know. He has an 8" bright ss for 2100 that I am very tempted for.
Old November 18, 2012, 07:39 PM   #23
finecognac

Here is what I got today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0344.JPG (242.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by finecognac; November 18, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old November 19, 2012, 08:08 AM   #24
CajunBass

Quote:
Buy a good Smith instead, you'll be happy for the rest of your life.
That might be good advice...note...MIGHT be...if the OP was simply looking for "a revolver." But he said he was looking for A PYTHON. I'm a Smith & Wesson guy myself, but when I wanted a Python, sorry, Smith & Wesson didn't make those. No matter how many Smith & Wessons I bought, they just weren't a Python.

Now, I'm not saying the Python is any better than a Smith...it's just different. And it is unique.

To the OP. I finally found the Python I'd been looking for years at my LGS. It's not a pristine, unfired, in the box with papers and such, but it's a good shooter and doesn't look like it was used to drive fence nails. The key was I was there at the right time (check often), and I was ready to strike when I saw it (thank goodness for layaway).
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 19, 2012, 09:30 AM   #25
Nosreme

I have 4 Pythons and love them. I know it's heretical to say so, but my Dan Wesson 15-2s and S&W 586, 686, and 27 are just as smooth and accurate, and can probably stand up better over the long haul to sustained .357 magnum shooting.