The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 2, 2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Keltyke

Good coach gun

A little help, please...

What's a good coach gun?

I see Stoeger, Norincal, Baikal, and EAA a lot online but don't have a clue when it comes to shot slingers.

Should it be hammers/no hammers?

TIA!
Old November 2, 2008, 06:06 PM   #2
zippy13

What are you planning to do with doing with your coach gun?
IMHO, They are pretty much limited to plinking, home defense, wall hangings, and cowboy action shooting. Not much good for game nor serious targets.
Old November 2, 2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Keltyke

Strictly HD.
Old November 2, 2008, 06:33 PM   #4
zippy13

There are two camps (please, let's not start a big argument over this one):
• With exposed hammers, you can let them down to half cock and you're in control. But, they can snag on things.
• Hammer-less don't catch on things; but your only control is the safety.
Something for you to ponder -- in what condition of readiness do anticipate storage?
Old November 2, 2008, 08:17 PM   #5
Keltyke

Quote:
in what condition of readiness do anticipate storage?
Ready to pick up and shoot.
Old November 2, 2008, 10:20 PM   #6
10-96

I can't think of one that's American made right now. But, I have a Stoeger that has broken in and has become quite handy and pleasant to handle and shoot. I use it for my HD SG and for running around in the sticks. I went with the Deluxe model with the rubber recoil pad and inter-changeable chokes, which by the way- are the same as the flush fit Win-Chokes. And, depending on your familiarity with it- it does hold it's own at dispatching critters. I've taken yotes, jackrabbits, skunks, a couple grackles, and a few dove. I have several pumps and semi-auto's, but, I don't know- maybe I settled into my niche- but my long and short SxS's have pretty much caused all my other SG's to slip into retirement. I even have a 1300 Defender that I'm selling to my CPT because I'm so sold on my SxS's.

I'm not going to dis the Baikal's and I shouldn't mention that I just don't trust the Norinco's- been there and I've offended folks in the past. But, the Stoeger has stayed put together for me, has broken in well, and I'm comfortable and confident with it. Whichever one you go with- shoot it, shoot it a lot and get totally familiar and comfortable with it... then go shoot it some more. There's not much that #4's and #6's can't handle at short SG distance.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 2, 2008, 11:09 PM   #7
zippy13

ejectors

Seems you're in the market for a short, hammerless SxS. I tend to think of a "coach gun" as being old-timey styled with external hammers, but others take a broader definition encompassing all short SxS's.

If you're new to SxS shotguns, and especially if considering one for HD, you need to be aware of a few features, specifically extractors and ejectors:
The extractor is the device (found on all SxS's) that raises the shells out of the chamber so they can be grasped for removal.
An optional ejector takes the extractor one step further and throws the shell out of the chamber. You'll see references to shotguns having selective or automatic ejectors -- this means if you shoot one shell and open the action, just that shell will be tossed away. If you shoot both, they're both ejected. This eliminates the need to manually remove the spent shells and significantly speeds reloading. You may consider ejectors a desirable feature in a HD SxS.
Old November 3, 2008, 12:09 AM   #8
Laz

I have owned Stoegers and like them quite well. Had a Stoeger Silverado that I wish I still had. I owned a Turkish Uzumlu (sp) which in design was similar to the Huglus that were imported here and it was a bit clunky and not as attractive as the Stoeger but was sturdily built and worked quite well. Currently my coachgun needs are filled by a Remington Spartan which is a Russian Baikal sold through Remington. Jury is still out on reliability, durability etc. but it has been fine so far. Since I play with it but also keep it handy around the home, I chose the Spartan for one reason. I can keep it loaded with hammers down and action closed. If needed, it must be cracked open to cock the action but is stored loaded with the action uncocked. I was unable to do that with the Stoeger due to a different design. The Spartan uses rebounding internal hammers. I have heard of folks who are able to keep their Stoegers loaded and uncocked by I never could and not having am unable to try again. My recollection is that when the Stoeger is uncocked, the firing pins protrude through the bushing but I could be wrong. There is ample room between the firing pins and the shell in the Spartan.

Re-reading, I hope that made some sense.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old November 3, 2008, 12:54 AM   #9
Buzzcook

I think most people would recommend a pump action shotgun before the double barrel for home defense.
But if you want the sxs then you have a lot to choose from. Double barrel shotguns are very simple and incredibly durable pieces of technology. A very old used sxs can work just as well for home defense as a modern Chinese reproduction.
Drop by any large used gun shop and you'll see a bunch of double barrels that can be had for less than $300. An old Sears or Western Field will be fine and dandy.

A hammerless is the way to go.
Old November 3, 2008, 01:36 AM   #10
HiBC

A real good place to see what can be done with a SxS and to find out what is available is among the SASS (cowboy) shooters.They do give them a workout!!
If at all possible,please refrain from chopping an old one.

I would guess video is available of matches.To compare them to modern(Benelli) look at 3 gun match video.
Old November 3, 2008, 12:08 PM   #11
New_Pollution1086

if you have little people in the casa i would go with a hammered (not drunk) model. if kids arnt an issue go with whatever one you want.

Ive wanted a stoeger for years

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old November 3, 2008, 06:36 PM   #12
JAYBIRD78

I saw that CZ has a hammered sxs. Looks real pretty on their website.

A Stoeger hammerless sxs 12 gauge has always caught my attention.

Good luck on choosing.
Old November 4, 2008, 10:59 AM   #13
madcratebuilder

I have a Stoeger coach gun that has been trouble free, nice gun for the money. I'm even more impressed with my new Howday pistol. Only draw back is reloading is a five minute chore.
Old November 4, 2008, 12:05 PM   #14
New_Pollution1086

that pistol is pretty badass.

black powder?

T
- T. Boone Pickens