The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 5, 2006, 10:34 PM   #1
sm

Hunting Tough

Rich asked here:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...1&postcount=10

One of the toughest was Quail Hunting.

I hear the snickers, I am not through yet. Quail Hunting Five States in Five Days.

AR,TX, OK, MS, GA.

My lady shooting pard and I started out from KY by car met another car in AR, and then 'gumball rally' to TX. We won the rally prize, dinner atop Reunion Arena.

This was a tough hunt a couple of fellas figured everything from logistics, time, dogs, guides, meals , everything. The pallet of 28 ga Fiocchis were in Dallas.

Hunting Party was as small as 4 to as big as 12. Plus dogs.

Six passenger Jets,single engine planes, helicopters, vehicles, mule drawn wagons , horses, and one place we shared the two dirt/ trail bikes to get into a virgin spot, and only allowed to take 2 birds each.

I learned something, Crop Dusters are not made for 3. Still two Crop dusters took a host, myself and lady shooting pard sitting on my lap to a spot, borrowed the ranch guns,tractor gun whatever shells in the coffee can, and took some birds. I got the electrical taped single shot .410 , gun worked, quail don't know what gun you use on them.

I was younger then, still this was tough. Constant on the go, and the only thing consistent were quail, guns, ammo dogs and good folks.

"What State we in" lady pard asked.
"Quail" - I replied.

We may eat in the plane, or whatever conveyance. Stop at a fine old home for Elk roast, quail, deer or a jalapeno jack cheese and dove breast sandwich. We over took Doe's in Greeville by surprise one night. We had 18 folks .

Spend the night in various nice places/ ranches, estates, the tired finally overcomes the excitement, and you still feel the vibration of the plane, helicopter, whatever conveyance, and brush busting.

Sixth day- leave Love Field, land out in the middle of Somewhere .TX and shoot ~ 250 rds at clay games.

Seventh Day- drive to Tulsa. Seems the talk of wanting more of Doe's in Greenville, Mississippi 's Steaks and Tamales got to us. That is where the Good Doc flew back to, and said to meet him in Tulsa.
"Don't be late, or miss out"
We arrived early.

Eighth day. Lady Pard and I rested most of the day. Late Evening, back to KY non-stop.

Ninth day - had to meet a fellow at the Airport for all the quail taken, and other meat given to us. Elk , venison, Salmon, to homemade jams, jellies and garden goodies. Just worked out easier with him and his wife coming our way to fly the goodies in. Then again that allowed for some of that ammo to come back with us.

That Pallet of 28ga Fiocchis? Before all said and done, Pallet went on the stack with other Pallets. We were of the kind that might shoot 500 to 1k rds a week, no problem to shoot 25k rds in a year. Each mind you.

Back to that Ninth day~

"Honey, you want to go shoot clays". - Lady pard asked.
"No" - I replied.
"Me either, what do you want to do?"
" I want to sit on the back porch, nap, and if anything shoot them Red Ryder BB guns".

We bascially died on the back porch. Them Quail may be small - tough hunting for sure.

Respect the Quail - Always.

Steve