The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 26, 2013, 10:51 AM   #76
Old Sourdough 54

The GREAT JENNINGS MATCH

Hey Rifleman, let me tell you a story.

Many years ago when the Jennings 22 became a popular gun to buy, many of the members of the gun club I belong to decided to buy a Jennings, must have been thirty or more bought. In my finite wisdom (nobody knows everything) I did not buy one. Well it seems that everyone that bought one declared that it was the finest little 22 that ever shot, never failed to feed, never failed to shoot and would even hit the target at 25 yards. Not bad for an itty bitty gun.

Then we had the GREAT JENNINGS MATCH that 4th of July. Of all the Jennings pistols on the line, only one of them was able to empty the magazine without a malfunction of one kind or another. A lot of red faces after the match with the sudden rush of notices for Jennings pistols for sale.

Yep, pretty little paperweights, shiny fishing lures and something I wouldn't one if you paid me.
Old April 26, 2013, 12:28 PM   #77
temmi

I think mine is the Glock 21

Snake
Old April 26, 2013, 11:48 PM   #78
Brian48

My Ruger Single Six. Bought it LNIB for only $125 back in '93.
Old April 27, 2013, 12:47 PM   #79
Grant D

I was going to say my Llama Mini Max 45, I paid $265.00 for it new,which has never given me a problem, when I remembered my Heritage Rough Rider I paid $150.00 for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heritage r r right side.jpg (236.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Llama left side.jpg (259.6 KB, 22 views)
Old April 27, 2013, 06:02 PM   #80
hbhobby

Jennings .25 auto. It cost me all of $30.
Old April 27, 2013, 06:27 PM   #81
armsmaster270

S&W Mod 15 Got it new when I went on the Dept Bought it for $125.00 when I retired.

Old April 27, 2013, 06:49 PM   #82
Microgunner

^ now that was a good buy.
Old April 27, 2013, 09:29 PM   #83
Stevie-Ray

92 bucks NIB back in 1979.

Old April 28, 2013, 05:59 PM   #84
DATL

Your cheapest handgun.

FM High Power. I think I paid <$200 for it right when I turned 21 (about 9 years ago). It is by far one of my favorites!

Old April 28, 2013, 06:31 PM   #85
Hawg

H&R Sportsman made in 36. I traded two Chevy engine blocks for it back in the early 80's. I didn't have anything in the engines so it beats out the Burgo I paid five dollars for. I'd have to tie five more dollars to the Burgo and throw it in the river to be able to say I threw something away. The H&R is a keeper.

Old April 28, 2013, 09:58 PM   #86
Cheapshooter

Do I really have to post a picture of my Hi-Point C9? $155 out the door. I guess next up the price scale is a Tauruc PT22 Poly at just under two bills OTD. Then at a couple bucks more the Heritage Rough Rider 22/22Mag. That's the cheapest in "modern times". Now back in the day, 40 or so years ago I bought a Spanish MAB GZ 25 ACP and a third generation S&W Safety Hamerless 32 S&W for twenty five bucks each. Still have both, and even pop off a round; or two through them occasionally.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 3, 2013, 09:39 AM   #87
PzGren

The cheapest that I have kept is a Ruger Six series (about $140) that was my rust bluing project gun. I had shoeboxes full of Roehms, cheap .25 Ravens, Galesis, and so on, they started at $ 5 plus tax. Heck, I even bought .38 Special Colts for under $100!

Old May 3, 2013, 11:40 AM   #88
CSG

I won't post pictures of my firearms as a general rule but my cheapest two guns were both private party purchases about 20 years ago. A .22 semi-auto Remington rifle for $50 and $100 for a stainless Taurus .22 M84 revolver.
Old May 5, 2013, 07:56 AM   #89
DonB77

I have a fifties vintage 22 Colt Buntline that cost me $25.00. An employee at the Museum in Clarmore, OK looked it up for me a few years ago and told me it was worth around $600.00 then.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:34 AM   #90
STW

Mine, no pictures

NIB Blued 6" GP100 short shroud. $205 seven years ago.

It was going to cost $215 but they couldn't find the box so they knocked off $10. A year later the store called and told me the box was found so box and gun now rest comfortably together.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:40 PM   #91
Patriot86

I have an M&P Shield, still in the "stock" configuration. Cost me $415.00+ Tax
Old May 7, 2013, 12:51 PM   #92
csmsss

Quote:
Hey Rifleman, let me tell you a story.

Many years ago when the Jennings 22 became a popular gun to buy, many of the members of the gun club I belong to decided to buy a Jennings, must have been thirty or more bought. In my finite wisdom (nobody knows everything) I did not buy one. Well it seems that everyone that bought one declared that it was the finest little 22 that ever shot, never failed to feed, never failed to shoot and would even hit the target at 25 yards. Not bad for an itty bitty gun.

Then we had the GREAT JENNINGS MATCH that 4th of July. Of all the Jennings pistols on the line, only one of them was able to empty the magazine without a malfunction of one kind or another. A lot of red faces after the match with the sudden rush of notices for Jennings pistols for sale.

Yep, pretty little paperweights, shiny fishing lures and something I wouldn't one if you paid me.
Yup. I bought one of these fine, fine firearms back in the late 80's/early 90's. Among other things:

1) Worst slide bite I have EVER experienced. That J22 chews up the web of my hand like a meat grinder, which makes the
2) Misfires caused by light striker hits more tolerable.
3) The extractor is the thinnest, softest metal on earth. You can practically see it bending itself into a pretzel on a warmish day. I've probably replaced the extractor on mine a half dozen times (which is approximately 1/10 of the rounds I've fired through it).
4) The sights. Oh, the sights. Where are they? Oh...these little bumps are the sights you say.
5) Failures to feed - more the rule than the exception. Not a surprise in a blowback pistol with no feed ramp, but even so....
6) Takedown and reassembly - makes the process with a Ruger Mk II seem childishly easy by comparison.
7) Last, but certainly not least, the trigger. Without a doubt the worst trigger ever put on a production firearm. It's heavy, sure, but not just heavy, because it's really long too (especially for such a tiny pistol). It's gritty too - as though the mechanism is embedded in coarse dry sand.

Funny enough, mine has a beautiful, lustrous finish on the slide. Almost like a powder coat. Hell, maybe it is a powder coat - it's thick as can be.

Anyway, I keep waiting for a gun buyback program near me so I can unload this sucker and get at least a little of the $80 I wasted on it back in the day.