The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 17, 2000, 05:51 PM   #1
Guyon

I've begun looking for a first pump action shotgun--something I can use for a variety of purposes (home defense, trap shooting, bird hunting). I also don't have a fortune to spend, and so I'm looking at the basic models. So far I've found a Mossberg 500A for $195 and a Remington 870 (Express I'm assuming) for $229. Both have 28 inch barrels. Both are new.

Questions: Are these good prices? Is this Mossberg an older gun? I read in a post here that Mossberg stopped using the letter suffixes in the 80s. How many shells does the Mossberg 500A hold?

The Mossberg website isn't much help here since they've gone to "shooting systems" instead of models.

Any suggestions or comments here would be helpful. Keep in mind though that $200 is about all I have to spend, and so fancier models aren't a part of the picture. Of course, future accessorizing is possible.

------------------
Guyon
NRA & GOA Member
Old August 17, 2000, 06:31 PM   #2
Ledbetter

Greetings,

"A" is the current Mossberg designation for 12 gauge.

Big Five Sporting goods sells a Mossberg 500A with an 18" and a 28" barrel (it comes with two barrels) for around $200 new in box. $200 was the price "on sale" last week.

I believe the 500 comes with a maximum magazine capacity of 5.

Good luck.

Ledbetter
Old August 17, 2000, 11:35 PM   #3
jtduncan

Remington 870 Express Combo w/ 20" HD/deer barrel w/ rifle sights and 28" hunting/trap vented rib bought used but not fired for $299.

The second barrel along would cost you $80-100 if bought separate.

The Rem 870 is industry standard and if you can only have one this is it!

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG
Old August 18, 2000, 05:54 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Guyon, while the 500 is an OK shotgun, if you buy the 870 your great grandchildren will thank you.

Few shotguns gain the reputation for reliability, durability and longevity the 870 has.