The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 20, 2013, 11:22 PM   #1
NickW

Breech Plug Gap

Good Day, I recently picked up a used 2001 CVA Hunterbolt ML for a song, it came with many accessories and I have always wanted to try Black Powder. I have a question, the manual states that the breech plug is to be screwed in until “snug.” Well I did that; however, there is a large gap between the 209 primer nipple and the bolt face, see pic. I can screw the breech plug out until it touches the bolt face but I’m unsure if this is the correct thing to do as the manual does not mention it. I searched the net but no luck any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Nick

Old January 20, 2013, 11:48 PM   #2
deerslayer303

Ahhh a bolt action inline muzzleloader I'm not an expert on them (theres a reason for that ), and don't quote me but I think that gap will close up when you pull the trigger. I believe its like a plunger type inline. Someone with more experience with these things will be along shortly. But That breech plug SHOULD Be snug and not backed off. If you do that you are increasing the distance for ignition and probably can bust the primer allowing gasses to escape rearward. If this thing operates like I think it does.
Old January 21, 2013, 05:59 AM   #3
NickW

Thanks Deerslayer but the bolt does not snap forward when the trigger is pulled, a firing pin is released on this model. The bolt snapping forward is a different model.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Doyle

I had one of those. Shot great but was a royal PITA to insert the primer and a really big PITA to clean. Yes, that gap is normal. Screw the plug in finger tight and shoot it.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:27 AM   #5
NickW

Thanks Doyle, not very water tight is it!
Old January 21, 2013, 10:51 AM   #6
deerslayer303

That is interesting indeed. That is alot of travel for the firing pin to do. Nick I wouldn't worry about being water tight a 209 primer is pretty moisture resistant as it is. I just like break action inlines, because the ignition is closed up. Let us know how it shoots. I love me some range reports with pics, hint hint
Old January 21, 2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Logan5579

Doyle is right, the gap is normal. I have the very same rifle, screw that breechplug in all the way, (finger tight as already stated), cap it with a primer - no powder or bullet, take it outside shoulder it and pull the trigger...youll see the firing pin come forward to hit the primer...it'll make sense when you see it.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Pahoo

You might be alright !!

Quote:
but I think that gap will close up when you pull the trigger.
Good suggestion on first pass and what deerslayer is talking about, is "Striker" rebound. See is this can happen by popping a cap. I routinely deactivate a cap to check/print for proper contact. If you need info on deactivating a 209 primer, PM me. ....

You in-line is of the open-breech type whick means that they are open to the weather. As mentioned, you will have less of the problem with the 209's than musket or #11 primers. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old January 21, 2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Doyle

Quote:
not very water tight is it!
There's an app for that.

If you are going to be hunting in the rain, take a small piece of masking tape wrap it over the gap. While you are at it, use a piece to cover the muzzle too and it will keep water from running into the barrel. The shot will blow both pieces of tape off.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:47 PM   #10
deerslayer303

I have a CVA breech plug wrench around here someplace, if you need one let me know
Old January 21, 2013, 12:53 PM   #11
Rifleman1776

I don't even want to touch that over the internet.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:05 PM   #12
NickW

I screwed the plug in all the way (came with two breech plug tools) and you guys are correct, it fired with nae problem. Hefty firing pin fills that gap, strange design though... seems like a lot of wasted spark/flash escapes through that slotted nipple; in any event, thanks for your help guys, I will try and fire a few rounds next weekend. The rifle came with two cases of pyrodex pellets, 20 powerbelt 295gr bullets, possible bag full of all sorts of stuff, cleaning kit, enough bore butter to choke a donkey, BP cleaning solutions, patches etc... all for $80, I know the rifles are cheap but with all that gear I thought , what the hay! Thanks again guys.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:40 PM   #13
North East Redneck

I have that same gun. As you now know, the gap is normal. Enjoy.