The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Bezoar

case lube

carbide doesnt need case lube, but sometimes it can help you out.

now the companies selling the spray lubes all claim its ok to leave it dried inside the case because they "formulate" to prevent issues with primer and powder.

What about the other lubes, that need to be removed from cases? How does one really get that out without dinging up a case?
Old February 7, 2014, 11:50 PM   #2
chiefr

I use carbide dies exclusively with my progressives. I have never lubed my carbide cases using a progressive.

If you worry about lube, you can tumble after you size.
Never used the spray lube probably because they never had any when I first started reloading many years ago (Nixon was President). A pad is fine. I would worry about overspray especially getting some inside the case.
Old February 7, 2014, 11:57 PM   #3
Metal god

Yep tumble after sizing . I wipe down the case right after sizing so I can use my comparator to check case head space ( bottle neck cases ) . I do a final tumble after sizing and trimming . That make sure the case lube is removed as well as makes sure all the brass cuttings are removed .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 8, 2014, 04:56 AM   #4
Jim243

Quote:
That make sure the case lube is removed as well as makes sure all the brass cuttings are removed
Good idea, I tumble all my prep cases before priming and ream the flash hole out to insure there is no media stuck in the primer pocket or flash hole.

Jim
Old February 8, 2014, 07:22 AM   #5
LE-28

Quote:
now the companies selling the spray lubes all claim its ok to leave it dried inside the case because they "formulate" to prevent issues with primer and powder.
The statement is true, but you don't want it inside your pistol cases. And you said your using carbide dies so I assume your talking about pistol. I use spray lube on all my pistol cases and run them through my LNL-AP progressive press with carbide dies but I lay all my cases down, turn them the same direction, and spray them at an angle at the head of the cases so I don't get any in the mouth of the case. I want all the neck tension on the bullet I can get and spraying any lube in a pistol round don't make it.

Lubing cases before running them through a progressive press has it benefits. It will help keep the OAL of your finished rounds to a closer tolerance by helping to eliminate the little bit of deflection in the shell plate.
As an example, I can usually keep all my 9mm's to within .002" or less of the same OAL with using spray on case lube. That's important to me but may not be to you.
You don't want to hose them down, just a quick blast across of them. There isn't much will get in the mouths to worry about if you turn them all the same direction and spray them from behind.

After I load my 9mms then they go to the tumbler for 20 minutes or so to clean the lube off.

Quote:
What about the other lubes, that need to be removed from cases? How does one really get that out without dinging up a case?
You shouldn't be getting any type of lube inside of pistol cases, rifles yes while your resizing, it helps the neck resizing button come back out of the case.

As far as how and when you get it off the outside of the case depends on your reloading process. Some people wipe them down with mineral spirits, some use other things.
You don't need any more than a quick spray with spray lube to load any pistol case with carbide dies. Putting more lube than that on the cases is just a waste.
On rifle cases getting it inside the mouth would actually help with pulling the neck re-sizing button back out of the case.

Last edited by LE-28; February 8, 2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old February 8, 2014, 10:03 AM   #6
hooligan1

I use the RCBS CASE LUBE II, on the RCBS lube pad.never a stuck case and I just drop them right into my running tumbler for about thirty minutes to get lube off.