The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2012, 12:05 PM   #26
BigJimP

I use Dillon dies in my Dillon 650 press...and I've used RCBS dies in the past in Dillon press ...and I've tested presses owned by my buddies ...Hornady, PW, etc... and I don't know that there is a difference based on the dies.

I think the difference is in how the cases are lubed prior to resizing....lubing, makes the press run smoother ..and makes the pressure required on the handle less.

I have arthritis and wrist issues as well ..- and some serious shoulder issues ...and some days are better than others.

I do think a progressive - faster - and easier to use...will help your wrist / because you won't need to load as often - or you can pick your days. The Dillon 650 with a case feeder - easily puts out 1,000 rds an hour...so it means less duration / less repetition day after day ...and that will help.

A little change in height of your bench / loading seated on a stool vs standing ...may make a difference as well. Personally, I like to load seated using a bar stool.
Old January 22, 2012, 03:23 PM   #27
Lost Sheep

Foot lever

Foot lever

Good luck.

Lost Sheep
Old January 23, 2012, 05:33 PM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

I know of no reason the Dillon dies would take less effort to push out spent primers. The force needed is determined by the primer fit in the primer pocket and friction between their surfaces. It usually does not require great force unless you are removing crimped military primers. Same with required insertion force. It's determined by the brass and primer cup, not the dies. You can run decapped and cleaned cases through a Dillon primer pocket swaging tool and often they will prime more easily after that, but I know of no difference due to the choice of dies.

Sizing force is another matter. Decapping normally happens during resizing, so it would be easy to confuse sizing force requirement with decapping requirement. Some carbide pistol dies do resize a little more easily others. The Redding titanium carbide dies have a good reputation in this regard. If you are loading for straight wall pistol cases, then using Redding pistol sizing dies and a light spray lube on your cases (despite the fact the dies are carbide pistol dies) will give you the lowest force requirement. There is, unfortunately, no equally smooth counterpart for rifle. Dillon does make carbide rifle dies in a few calibers, but unlike the carbide sizing ring in a carbide pistol die which contacts the case over a small area, the carbide rifle dies have to contact the whole case surface at once. I have a couple of them and they are nice dies and don't develop scratches easily even after a large number of cases go through, but you have to lube well with them and the force needed to press a whole bottleneck rifle die to correct size in them is still large.

I kind of like the idea of that roller handle if it adds leverage. Might be an economical way to go.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; January 23, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old January 23, 2012, 07:47 PM   #29
tobnpr

I've run over 5000 centerfire loads through my Hornady LNL and haven't had a major hiccup yet.
It's half-stroke indexing is a definite advantage over the Dillon, I've been told...

I started handloading with a progressive, as I run 300-600 rounds per month. I've never regretted purchasing the LNL.
Old January 23, 2012, 11:29 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

Other side of the coin...

I began loading on a Lyman Spartan "C" press. Moved on to a Lyman Spar-T turret press. Then got am RCBS JR, Rockchucker, and then Dillon RL 450B (and yes, that was a long time ago).

I got away from the Dillon, and actually traded it off about a year ago, and now do all my loading on a single stage press. And I do all my priming with a hand tool these days, too. I just like the feel better. The time rnds/hr doesn't matter to me.

Progressives, when they work right, are great for making large batches of a single load. Setting them up for less became tedious for me, and I like reloading!
Old January 24, 2012, 08:47 AM   #31
wingman

Quote:
I can't believe everyone is telling you to spend $900 to solve a $30.00 problem.

Take a look at this, it should help you.

Jim

http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-ro...le-upgrade-kit

Also go to Walgreens and get a $5.00 wrist band, I use one shooting.

But it sounds like you want an excuse to go out and buy a new press, go to it if you can spare the funds.
Got to agree with jim, I use the wrist band with foam on handle of my Lee classic turns out excellent reloads, I can buy good supply of powder and bullets for $700-900 bucks. However if wanting to convince spouse you need new press the wrist thing may help,,hmmm, now you have me thinking.