The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 30, 2008, 10:07 PM   #1
rolyasm

IMR 3031 powder problem.

I swear after I do a few batches I will stop asking questions. But here goes another one. I just primed my 223 without a hitch. Went great. I get to loading the powder and it seems I am getting different loads. I checked my scale, it is fine. Rezeroed and checked again. Almost positive it isn't my scale.
IMR 3031 is a cylindrical powder, like a small straw. It stuck in my funnel while loading the powder dispenser (RCBS) and when I loaded the first case, I pulled the case away and about half of the powder fell on the floor. It had jammed in the bottom of the powder disenser, even though I "clicked" on my way up and down. After that, I resorted to using a screwdriver to tap a few times and that seemed to dispense every load. Upon visual inspection (I only did 10) the loads looked different. They are all just about to the shoulder, some a little higher, some lower. I re-measured several powder loads and they all seemed to be coming out different. I was trying to meausre 24 gr, and was getting results as high as 24.7. Then the next load would be 24.3, then 24.5, then 24. You get the idea. How possible is it that my powder dispenser is just bad? Or, could it be the powder. The handle does stick a bit sometimes, like the powder is binding inside. Any fixes? Buy a new powder dispenser?
As I am typing, I think I will use some round powder I have and see how consistant it measures those. If those are consistant, I suppose maybe the powder is the problem?
Old August 30, 2008, 10:35 PM   #2
Slamfire

Some day, decades or centuries from now, IMR will get off its collective butt and offer short cut versions of 3031 and 4350. But probably not in our lifetimes.

IMR 3031 is a great fast burning powder, and something that the charges have to be individually weighed because the grains jumble up in the powder measure.

In my dillion, throwing IMR 3031 for 308 cartridges, I got throw spreads all over the place. I was fortunate that I did not get any powder bridging in the powder funnel.

My recommendation, don't buy any more 3031. Weigh each and every charge of the stuff you have, into a balance pan, trickle the correct amount in, and then put that into your cartridges.

I have never had a problem tossing charges of vihtavuori N140 into my .223 cases. VV N140 is a very short cut powder. You might have some problems with IMR 4895 as it is a little longer than N140.

I have never heard folks complaining about Varget or RL-15. I don't know if those are shorter cut than IMR 4895.

A lot of folks use ball powders, they throw within a .1 grain. I have used AA2520 in the .223, it works extremely well.

Still, I think my measures toss IMR 4895 within a half a grain. That has not been a problem with 308 or 30-06 cartridges. I don't know the ES on N140, maybe 0.3 grains. Stick powders will always have a throw varience.

Another reason not to use maximum charges. You have to weigh those because if you throw them, some charges will be over max.
Old August 31, 2008, 06:49 AM   #3
thallub

IMR 3031 is my favorite powder. I use it in .308 and .30-06 with bullets to 150 grains. It is the most consistent and accurate powder I have ever used in the .223.

IMR 3031 does not meter worth a darn so I weigh 100% of my charges.

Good luck loading for your .223.
Old August 31, 2008, 07:30 AM   #4
wncchester

Nothing is "wrong."

No volume dispensing device can be absolutely consistant when dispensing coarse materials. IMR 3031 and others are coarse. It's good stuff but you must weigh each charge.

Set your measure to drop just below the charge you desire. Dump that charge into a power scale pan and weigh it. then use a trickler to bring the charge up to weight. Use a powder funnel to pour it into a case. Repeat as neccessary.
Old August 31, 2008, 09:38 AM   #5
rolyasm

That's why I ask, cause you all have the experience. I am glad it is a good powder. It sounds like some extra work, and one or two extra supplies (another small funnel and a trickler), but will give me good results. Thanks for the replies. Off to the store...again.
Old August 31, 2008, 07:54 PM   #6
crowbeaner

One problem is that you're probably trying to get the powder to fall through the small drop tube on the measure. Throw the charge into the pan on your scale and trickle it up to weight. I make sure the large drop tube is in the measure or just leave the drop tube out entirely when throwing large charges of the extruded powders. I'll second the idea of IMR getting off their onagers and making SSC versions of ALL their extruded powders. I'm not going to hold my breath though. 3031 is good stuff in the small capacity cases, and I'm sure your ammo will be more than satisfactory when you get the charges right. IMR is good powder; it's just a PITA to meter and weigh. I don't trickle mine any more; I just take the top of the Uniflow off and throw a charge into it while it's upside down. Then I use a piece of matchbook cover to pick up a few kernels at a time and add it to the scale pan. Much faster if you rotate the measure drum carefully.
Old September 1, 2008, 04:53 AM   #7
toolguyb

+ 1 crowbeaner, I just throw a lighter charge also then dip one of those little powder ladels that come with lee die sets in top off powder throw. you can then lightly tap it into powder pan till you achive desired load.
Old September 1, 2008, 09:47 AM   #8
dardascastbullets

Inaccurate Powder Throws

Rolyasm,

You did not indicate if your powder measure is press mounted/ram actuated or if it is a manually operated measure. I will assume that you are manually operating the measure which leads me to believe that you are not using it properly. Tap the throw handle three times prior to releasing the charge. This action will allow the powder to settle into the throw chamber consistently from throw-to-throw. You will then attain very accurate and precise charges with 3031 or any other powder. You will acquire a consistent tapping force based on your weighing the charges - you will immediately see that there will be a vast improvement.

I trust that this information will help you.

Matt
Old September 1, 2008, 10:45 AM   #9
SLOMountaineer

I use the large "nipple" attachment on my RCBS powder drop when using 3031 and my charges are never off by much. I weigh every tenth round just to be sure and haven't had a problem.

The most consistent powder I have used without the 3031 issues is H BLC2...might want to try that.
Old September 2, 2008, 12:28 PM   #10
rolyasm

Thanks all. All my "other" powders are measuring fine. All the tapping and gnashing of teeth didn't help me with this powder. I ended up just setting the charge a little on the light side and adding a few more tenths of grains until the scale was even. It took a bit more time, but at least I know every charge is exactly where it should be. I can't wait to get them to the range.
Old September 2, 2008, 12:39 PM   #11
CowTowner

Add me to the list....

I use IMR 3031 for my 303 British loads, and I weigh each charge individually.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old September 2, 2008, 12:39 PM   #12
ForneyRider

When I use the IMR powders: 3031, 4064, 4350, I use a Lee dipper and RCBS trickler with a scale. This method gives decent speed and excellent accuracy. You get used to digging out enough powder, so the trickle step time is minimized.

I went with Varget and RE15. I may get some TAC, or something faster than RE15, for smaller .223 bullets.

Varget covers a lot of territory, but is the most expensive powder I have bought.
Old September 2, 2008, 03:27 PM   #13
gandog56

This is one of the reasons I got a Pact High Speed Dispenser and Digital Scale setup. I use lots of Unique which has never metered well in any automatic powder measure I have tried. With the Pact, it doesn't matter what kind of cut the powder is, since it uses signals from the scale to dispense the powder. I get nice charges all within +/-0.1 grain.
Old September 3, 2008, 09:00 AM   #14
jmorris

A friend of mine gave me a 20# keg of 3031 a few years ago; I’ve loaded .223, 308, and 45-70 with it. I quit using it for .223 because of bridging problems. I purchased a lnl as everyone boasts about how well the powder measure works with extruded powders, not the case with the few hundred .308’s I loaded before taking it off the bench.
For .223 try Winchester 748 or Ramshot TAC, you’ll have a smile right away.
Old September 3, 2008, 04:18 PM   #15
crowbeaner

HAH! If you guys think IMR is hard to meter, you should try some old Reloder 21! I just opened a full sealed can last night; it smelled and looks great! But Lordy is it hard to meter! I had to take the drop nozzle out of the Uniflow and drop it straight into the scale pan. Still had to trickle every one of the 100 rounds I loaded. Man! That stuff is like trying to get pine logs down the measure! Almost every charge bridged with the drop tube in. COARSE!