The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 8, 2000, 04:43 PM   #1
kjm

My Grandfather recently passed away, and left each of us a Mauser he liberated in WWII. He was in Czechoslavakia (sp?) and found an American fighting for the Germans. He was given a half doz mausers pre-1936, and the unit he got them from was a German unit. They are in pretty good shape (85%), but I would like to rechamber one in 30-06 and give it to my son. My questions are:
1. Will I be ruining a valuable firearm, or are these fairly plentiful?
2. Can I rechamber this firearm for 30-06, or is that not practical?
3. Where can I go to get info on this rifle?
Old January 8, 2000, 06:38 PM   #2
2shots

KJM, Tell us about the markings. That likely will determine whether to sporterize, leave alone or sell.
Old January 8, 2000, 06:54 PM   #3
wildcat

I don't know much about mauser values but I do know you can't rechamber for 30-06. Your mauser has a .323 bore and the 06 needs a .308 bore. If you want a 06 you will need to rebarrel. If you don't mind loading your own ammo you may rechamber for the 8mm-06 this wildcat uses the .323 bullet and a 30-06 case.I have made a half dozen of these for myself and friends.It is a excelent round that will equal the 06 with bullets up to about 160 grain and better it with anything over 160. The loading dies are available from RCBS if your smith does not have a ream he can rent one from www.reamerrentals.com or maybe I would sell you mine .
Old January 8, 2000, 11:01 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

KJM, as 2shots said, we'd really need to know the markings before answering. For the most part Mausers are good for sporterizing, rebarreling, etc. But there are some that command premium prices among collectors. Before you do anything with yours, lets make sure it's a plain old 98. George
Old January 9, 2000, 12:43 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

In any event, modifying a '98 for a .30-'06 length cartridge requires some magazine work. Today, .308 is probably a better bet.

Jim
Old January 9, 2000, 05:08 AM   #6
wildcat

Jim as I said I have rechambered a few 98s for 30-06 length rounds,as yet I have not had to do any magazine work to get them to feed.My experience is limited as I am not a real gunsmith just a gun nut. Are some 98s shorter than others?Maybe George can help us here.
Old January 9, 2000, 08:52 AM   #7
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Wildcat, that seems to be individual to the rifle. Normally you wouldn't have to modify the box for a long action cartridge. The mods usually come into play for a case that is larger in diameter. Although, I have seen a couple that did have to be "adjusted" for length. George