The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 18, 2010, 10:45 PM   #1
wch

JUG CHOKING

[B]I HAVE A wEATHERBY SHOTGUN THAT IS CHOKED IC AND MODIFIED AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW YOUR OPINION OF "JUG CHOKING" THE GUN TO FULL AND MODIFIED.

AND WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE WOULD RECCOMEND A COMPANY OR SMITH WHO WOULD INSTALL CHOKE TUBES.

THANKS.
Old March 18, 2010, 10:58 PM   #2
zippy13

IMHO, jug chokes have fallen from popularity since the advent of screw-ins. I've had poor luck having the work done by my local gun shop; but, no problems with screw-ins installed by Briley.
Old March 18, 2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Scattergun Bob

wch

I have experimented with several 870 barrels and jug choking. Both met with fair results.

For those not aware of this choking system. The principle of jug choking is that a section near the muzzle is reamed larger than bore size with angles on the front and rear areas to increase the performance of shot loads. . It is not a constriction type of choke, so there is no danger of excessive pressures being developed.

Presently I have seen adds for jug choking blackpowder scatterguns, and at one time the gunsmithing service at GUNSITE did this choking on fighting scatterguns. I am also aware of some adds for DYO plans for this type of choke. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old March 18, 2010, 11:47 PM   #4
the rifleer

soooo.... kinda like a blunder buss?
Old March 18, 2010, 11:55 PM   #5
Scattergun Bob

the rifleer

Not really, the choke itself is set back from the crown of the muzzle, from the exterior it looks like a standard barrel.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old March 19, 2010, 12:51 AM   #6
roklok

I just got a flintlock 12 guage barrel jug choked, but it was cylinder before choking. I dont know much about doing it to a barrel that already has a constriction choke though, I imagine it is possible. I am sure somebody has the answer.

The attraction to jug choking in muzzleloaders is that there is no constriction at the muzzle to impede loading wads and shot cards.
Old March 19, 2010, 07:14 AM   #7
teeroux

Jug choke?

Never heard of this before so let me see if I got it right a section of barrel before the muzzle is relief bored larger than the rest of the barrel allowing the shot to expand and then immediatly compress before exiting the barrel?
Old March 19, 2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Scattergun Bob

teeroux

Exactly Correct

Good Luck & Stay Safe
Old March 19, 2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Is that also known as the Tula choke, developed in Russia for their Olympic skeet shooters in the 1960s?

And don't you have to use card wads with such a choke system, as cup wads will defeat it?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 19, 2010, 11:18 AM   #10
oneounceload

Inside the barrel looks like a coke bottle in shape
Old March 19, 2010, 11:40 AM   #11
Lee Lapin

My opinion?

Leave the chokes alone, and experiment with available commercial loads or reloading components to find a load that gives you the patterns you want.

You asked for it, you got it...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 19, 2010, 11:41 AM   #12
zippy13

Mike, the Tula choke is a type of jug choke but it's used for a different reason. A traditional jug choke is used when wanting to add constriction. A Tula choke, with its vented chamber is sort an extension of the old Cutts compensator. Its purpose is to lengthen the shot string and prevent the deformation of shot as it enters the constricted choke area. Most of this is a moot point when using modern plastic shot cups instead of the old fiber wads.

One of my Perazzis has the old Comp I style Tula choked barrels. With modern ammo, I don't think the shot string is any different than my other P-guns, but this can't be verified with a two dimensional pattern board. However it looks very cool and it may shoot a little softer, with less barrel rise because of the Tula venting.
Old March 20, 2010, 07:00 PM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Jugging? Not worth it. Backboring the barrels to add some constriction can be done. Briley can do that or add choke tubes, or both. So can Orlen, Carlson and Colonial, Nu Line, Simmons, and Angle Port/Ballistic Specialties.

Better, to do like Lee says. Pattern and test to find loads that reach out for you and hone the skills needed to make those work.....
Old August 13, 2015, 11:09 PM   #14
Newtire

OK so anyone know anyone who jug chokes shotguns? Great for muzzleloaders for loading purposes. Hard to push wads thru a choke and still get a good fit. You don't want the 2nd load in a m/l double to migrate away from the powder.
Old August 14, 2015, 05:46 AM   #15
Virginian

A jug choke is generally used to add some choke to a barrel with little or no choke. It would not work to tighten up your chokes.
Old August 14, 2015, 06:38 AM   #16
FITASC

http://www.caywoodguns.com/jug-choking.html

Quote:
I am are now offering jug choking for muzzle loading smoothbores of most makes and models of firearms. I cannot choke some of the models of barrels due to their chrome-lined bores. Some of those that might have chrome lined bores are newer double-barreled percussion shotguns. The chrome lining is too hard to ream and will destroy the tooling. I can jug choke 20, 16, 12 and 10 bore guns with normal steel composition. My guns are built using gun-barrel quality, high carbon steel and most modern (non-chrome) steels are fine for this procedure. I can't jug choke Damascus barrels either!

The principle of jug choking is that a section near the muzzle is reamed larger than bore size with critical angles on the front and rear areas to increase the pattern and performance of shot loads. The jug choking does not adversely affect round ball performance and in fact can improve round ball accuracy. It is not a constriction type of choke, so there is no danger of excessive pressures being developed. It is easy to clean and easy to load.
I have no knowledge of this guy or how old this paragraph is - use his home page to contact him
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 15, 2015, 11:19 AM   #17
natman

I'd recommend having choke tubes installed. It's a process that you know will work, as opposed to jug choking that might work and you can always go back to IC & M tubes should the need arise.

I've heard very good things about Mike Orlen's work with choke tubes.
Old August 15, 2015, 03:55 PM   #18
SARuger

I shoot clays with my 1100 20g with a Cutts Compensator and mod choke installed. I can honestly say it makes me s better shooter and is just right for most all trap/skeet/5 stand shooting.

I know nothing about jug choking but if it works similar to the Cutts I would be a fan

Last edited by SARuger; August 15, 2015 at 05:17 PM.