The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old September 14, 2000, 10:08 PM   #1
RWK

FWIW, I am personally grateful that a decision has been made for us to stick closer to our TFL fundamentals. In some cases, the "off tropics" were interesting, but they were also frequently divisive. I suspect these subjects generally lacked fact-based specific information, which therefore resulted in an inordinate amount of personal -- and often intemperate -- opinions being shared. In addition, I was occasionally concerned with the potential for "lurking critics" to use off topic postings as erroneous evidence that TFL -- and its membership -- is irresponsible.
Old September 14, 2000, 10:39 PM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Amen.
Old September 15, 2000, 12:57 PM   #3
Gunslinger

I agreed with Dennis's sentiment that he had felt that a little off topic discussion would help further build a certain unity and camaraderie among the membership. However, I to agree that what may be gained from that is not worth losses that may and have occurred as a result of some of those off topic threads.
I would like to respond to the last remark that Dennis made in his "Return tp Mission" thread here if I may. (I know that Dennis will read this and feel it better said here in public view than in a private Email.)
I know that the staff is doing everything within the power to remain polite and not lock off topic threads as they appear, hoping to rely on the membership at large to limit the topics of their post. That is appreciated by not only myself but I am sure everyone on TFL. However, I would not be offended if a staff would would lock an off topic thread with a simple exlpaination that it was beyond the scope of the TFL mission. I had been purposely avoiding responding to off topic threads myself but expereinced a laps this morning myself and responded to the "Insomnia" thread. My apologies for that. But the point remains I think the members here would loss no respect for the staff for simply locking those threads when they appear.....and come to a staff members attention. In time the members themselves will return to more.....er....topical topics.
In any case you have my support and I am sure that of the overwhelming majority of the membership.
Keep up the good work and thank you, you are appreciated.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!
Old September 15, 2000, 04:33 PM   #4
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

All,
Thanks for your support.

As an individual gun owner, I believe our Second Amendment Rights require our united and concentrated support. The Founding Fathers and our ancestors fought for our liberty, preserved it, and handed it to us on a silver platter. We must ensure these Rights for our children - that is our moral obligation.

------------------
Either you believe in the Second Amendment or you don't.
Stick it to 'em! RKBA!
Old September 16, 2000, 06:40 AM   #5
Hal

Dennis,
I can't speak for anyone else, but it's time for some of us good samaritans to get out of the way and let the EMT take over. See you folks in a week. I have zero self control to stay out of some things.