The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 18, 2007, 01:09 AM   #76
MyXD40

I'm just a simple Man with a complex voice.
Old October 18, 2007, 01:11 AM   #77
Silentarmy

He was hoping to be untill someone important realized that this was a Dangerously immature Cadet and flagged him for a No-Hire!
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"
Old October 18, 2007, 01:42 AM   #78
MyXD40

Quote:
He was hoping to be untill someone important realized that this was a Dangerously immature Cadet and flagged him for a No-Hire!
I guess, if I was at that stage in my life
Old October 18, 2007, 07:08 PM   #79
Sigma 40 Blaster

Tricon45, yeah, I'm really a tall fat man...crack heads are not easily intimidated, meth freaks even less. There are a few panhandlers around here who do not take no for an answer gracefully.

I probably went a little far in describing how far I'd go to avoid a confrontation but giving up some space to determine if there's a real threat or it's someone having a bad day or goofing on you is important. I wouldn't necessarily turn my back and run but I would move as fast as I could for some cover and physical separation.

Anyone remember the thread from the guy on the forum who got "punked" by some young black kids while he was getting into his car? Some say those guys shoulda been killed, I personally don't want something like that on my head...nor shooting someone who's car just broke down and is super pissed and mad at the world at the moment.

Give up some space, give a verbal warning to stop. I'm not really in favor of saying "I'm armed...stop or I'll shoot" because you just showed your full house to someone who just hit his flush and might be feeling strong.

At that point probably try to get on the other side of a car or something to put a physical barrier between you make them become aggressive enough that there's no doubt in your mind they mean you harm...if that's not possible brandishing might be the only option IF you have no other means to secure yourself or get to relative safety if the individual continues to pursue. All of that will probably happen in three seconds or less.

There are a hundred variables like where someone's hands are, how their eyes look (nuts or calm and collected) and other things that we can't really spell out on a forum.
Old October 18, 2007, 11:00 PM   #80
Deaf Smith

Quote:
There are a hundred variables like where someone's hands are, how their eyes look (nuts or calm and collected) and other things that we can't really spell out on a forum.
Sigma,

I think you are talking about 'Signs of impending emotional disturbance'. We teach such in CHL classes. You know, far off stare, heavy breathing, fist closed, slured or loud speach, etc... A whole bunch of them. If several are taken into context then there is a hint something is gonna happen soon.

Now as for retreating, different states have different laws (and Texas is now pretty much like Florida.) But even if the law says you don't have to retreat, keep in mind you will have to explain your actions to a Grand Jury at the least. If what you say to the cops and the GJ don't sound right, then it's 'tell it to the judge' time.

And just because a few here fell you should retreat does not make it moral or immoral or whatever. As they say, the people have spoken, and thus it is felt it IS moral to stand your ground, if need be, instead of retreat. I will also note that virtualy all retreat laws expect you to only retreat if you can do so in complete safety. They don't expect you to turn your back on a serious threat.

Here in Texas IF you have the legal right to be where you are, and IF you did NOT provoke the other person, then you don't have to retreat. But you still have to be in fear of your life and you will have to articulate this to the cops and GJ. Plus if it's not in your home you can still be sued for such as wrongful death (and even in your home it's a 'affirmitive defense'.)
Old October 19, 2007, 06:18 AM   #81
Sigma 40 Blaster

Thanks Deaf...as I've never had or provided any real training you put it far more eloquently that I could.

Everything I stated is how I feel I should handle a self defense strategy, I should have stated that for the record. To be morally and legally covered are important but my personal code of ethics tell me I have to be SURE something's wrong. An armed assailant pretty much satisfies all three of those aspects of a SD situation...I was trying to speak in terms of threat assessment from someone who is acting aggressively BUT not exactly life threatening as they have no weapons and it's unclear whether they intend to do harm. Most aggressive gas station/parking lot beggars won't injure you but they can be pretty freaky.

Also, explaining why I drew down/shot a perceived threat to LE/GJ being as big as I am is another reason why I prefer to give up a little ground. By giving up ground backing up and turning slightly to my right allows me to protect my strong side carry and puts me in a position to draw (slightly concealed since my body is blocking my right hand) or be ready to throw a punch, as well as forcing the potential threat to either commit or back off.

I've learned a lot from reading this thread...despite some hackles going up there's been some good discussions.
Old October 19, 2007, 12:03 PM   #82
Wildalaska

Quote:
I think you are talking about 'Signs of impending emotional disturbance'. We teach such in CHL classes.
Hell I learned them in NYC

Please see my earlier post about hinkiness

WildhinkydinkAlaska ™