The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2006, 02:39 AM   #1
40MM

Making 9mm shot shells

So i got this brilliant idea of making my own 9mm shot shells. But before i go ahead i thought i would get some suggestions from you guys.I plan to take a shell, load a primer in it, put some 4.5mm lead shot, say 6 at a time, maybe add a "cup" of sorts first,tape the end closed, then fire.

1. Will i need a "cup"?
2. How much pressure will the primer alone generate?
3. Should i put some powder in? 1 gr?
4. Am i a real idiot for even thinking about this?
Old April 15, 2006, 07:57 AM   #2
ribbonstone

Aren't going to get enough shot in the case to be real effective at all.

Yes, will need some powder...but the more space for powder, the less for shot and the 9mm case doesn't have a whole lot of space.

One you get a small powder charge (something like 2gr. of fast powder...Bullseye-ish), a couple of thin card board wads (about the thickness of primer tray boxes is the thinnest that will work..and need 2 of them) will have so little room in the case for shot that the effective range is about an arm's length.
Old April 15, 2006, 09:10 AM   #3
Leftoverdj

Use the Speer .38 shot cups. You'll have to single load.
Old April 16, 2006, 04:04 PM   #4
griz

Speer sells loaded shotshell rounds that have a shot capsule shaped like a bullet. That lets them get a fair amount of shot in there and the round is suppose to feed OK. They use very small shot. I don't know what 4.5 mm shot would translate to but my guess is it is much bigger than the fine bird shot that CCI uses.
Old April 16, 2006, 05:01 PM   #5
ClarkEMyers

Use cut down rifle brass .221/.222/.223 for extra capacity

Make your shotshells full length with a headspacing step by using rifle brass. Treat as brass shotgun shells with an overpowder wad and an overshot wad. The wads can be cut from gasket material using sharpened cartridge cases or gasket punches.

People have used empty capsules from a pharmacy or vet supply for a shot capsule. This can be made to feed - but making it feed may not be so important as getting a useful pattern.

Speer Shotcups is also a good way to go.