The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 7, 2000, 01:38 AM   #1
Zak Smith

So I was shooting at some steel plates today at 25 yards. With my .22 pistol, impact was point-of-aim, and I could hit every shot rapid-fire.

My USP40, with factory sights, was a different story. Point-of-impact was severely low and left of point-of-aim. I had to aim approx 6" up and to the right of the upper-right corner of the plate to hit it at all. I confirmed by shooting from the bench.

Has anyone else had this problem? What is the easiest say to solve it?

I figure I can adjust the windage with some sort of tool I am lacking - what do I need?

I have no idea how to adjust the elevation. Is it even possible? Or do I have to replace the entire front-sight post?

thanks!

-z
Old May 7, 2000, 03:06 AM   #2
HS

.22 vs .40 = FLINCH ?

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail [email protected]
ICQ # 68806935
Old May 7, 2000, 08:36 AM   #3
Speedy

Smithz

I don't know what load you were using, but try a heavier bullet. This tends to raise the POI. As far as the left part, like I have to remind myself, it's frontsightPRESS not aim and clutch. If it's been a while since I've shot, I have to re-teach myself that.

Rick

------------------
I prefer armed combat to unarmed combat. It's easier on the knuckles.
Old May 7, 2000, 12:17 PM   #4
Zak Smith

I was shooting 180 gr reloads ( == a little lighter loads than factory).

I'll try an experiment today after a bunch of dry-firing today and see if it still happens.

thanks
-z
Old May 7, 2000, 12:41 PM   #5
CoastieN70

My USP Compact 357 sig with factory night sights was a piece of crap at 25 yards. Shot low and to the left, so low and to the left that aiming at a 5.5 inch target at 25 yards produced a clean miss by a mile (actually 18 inches).
Solution, drifting rear sight to the right (came ofset to left by about .003") and filing down the front sight aprox. .008".
Now to the untrained this may not seem like much but to those who have sighted in a few handguns this is ALOT!
Reason for the huge sight discrepancy, sights installed at HK Sterling and gun rushed out for delivery to a customer who darred to complain about a missed delivery date (ME!) and their wanting to shut me up.
Was I P.O.'ed? You bet! How's the gun now? Without a doubt the most accurate (non-target) pistol I have ever shot. From a sandbag rest, one ragged hole (10 rounds) measuring .83". Offhand, slow fire 1.12" at 25 yds and under an inch at 15 and 7 yds.
A serious weapon with most impressive accurcy.
Old May 8, 2000, 02:21 PM   #6
Bil Mattern

I'm not insulting your intelligence, but low and left sounds like classic mashing of the trigger. It happens to the best of us, especially with a new gun. It also seems to pop up when you go from shooting a light calibre to a heavier one. How about letting a friend or other shooter shoot it and see if they have the same problem before you move anything around on it.

I remeber when S&W revolvers with adjustable sights were the ticket, we all just dailed in our flinch to shoot bullseyes!
Old May 8, 2000, 02:27 PM   #7
Zak Smith

Ok, guys, I admit it. I had developed a flinch, and I was mashing the trigger.

-z
Old May 8, 2000, 09:45 PM   #8
wishbone

TRY--www.bullseyepistol.com ---Click on ERROR ANALYSIS AND CORRECTION. All the correct answers are there.
Old May 8, 2000, 11:48 PM   #9
Cheapo

Welll...yaknowww...

IME, it's a bit uncommon to have a flinch give you a consistent group (like, say a 4-inch group, 7 inches from the x, at 8 o'clock). But it happens. Mine just string from the x-ring to just outside the 5-ring on the 25-yard bullseye target.

Most reliable way I know to detect the flinch is to do "ball & dummy" drills. Randomly load 1 or two dummies in the mag with the live ones. "click"-WIGGLE makes it painfully visible and obvious.

To cure it, put a few live ones in a mag otherwise full of dummies. Concentrate on front sight, let the trigger take care of itself on auto-squeeze, and let the gun recoil all it wants. Don't fight it.

Perhaps the quickest way to detect it--have another person reach up and squeeze the trigger while you maintain the rest of the firing grip (your finger off trigger). You watch the front sight and tell the trigger squeezer where it was pointed just before recoil.

HTH.
Old May 8, 2000, 11:51 PM   #10
Cheapo

Confession:

In a bowling pin match many moons ago, I noticed one shot bean the table. So I just aimed for the necks and did pretty well the next string.

My flinch at 7 yards that day was about 5 inches, but constent...