The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 14, 2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Nathan

Sling Help

Looking for a little help. I need a sling for a Rem 1100 for a hunter.

I'm thinking he would like it long so he can wear gun across his front, but likely, he will want to be able to shorten it quick for std carry strap use.

Your favorites?
Old September 17, 2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Nathan

Bought the Spec Ops Master Blaster for my dad. I went non-sticky back. looks like about the best basic sling i've seen. i would have bought the Patrol Sling for myself, but traditionalists dont seem to like FR side carry.

Looks like I will need a mag cap swivel. I think Rem, Outdoor Connection and Uncle Mikes make one...any preference?
Old September 19, 2013, 02:33 AM   #3
bamaranger

I've not toted an 1100 anywhere. But I've hauled an 870 Lord knows how many miles in the past 35 years chasing spring gobblers. I've never met a "hunter" that was interested in a patrol carry type sling, except maybe me when hunting aloft from a climbing treestand.

For shotgun afoot, my standard for long years has been some slings I made up from SKS green web. Got some very standard sling swivels and had them sewn on the webbing, with a single slide and a buckle for conventional adjustment. cheap.
The shotgun got a stud in the buttstock and one in the magazine cap, I think both the studs and the swivels were Uncle Mikes.

The sling comes off easy when pass shooting and flushing game, or setting up on a gobbler. It clips on and allows for shoulder carry when just hoofing it. Often I sling it muzzle down, diagonally across my back, or same way but parallel the ground (it rides upside down at that point) if on an open woods road and not really hunting.
Old September 19, 2013, 02:41 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Shotgun slings...

Id look at Mesa Tactical, Blackhawk, www.deltaforce.com www.uscav.com www.policehq.com www.cabelas.com www.grafs.com www.brownells.com .
Michaels of OR makes slings with QD or quick detach attachments.
Clyde
Old September 19, 2013, 03:17 PM   #5
RoscoeC

I see that your decision is made, but I prefer a plain LEATHER military type sling with a magazine cap QD swivel and a screw in anchor on the butt stock. You don't shoot a shotgun like a rifle, so there is no need to be able to shorten the sling. Leather grips better than other materials and won't slip off the shoulder. If you find yourself in a position where the sling is in the way, you can simply slip it off with the QD swivels and put it in your pack or pocket and re attach it when you are ready to begin walking again.
NRA Life Member