The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
browninghunter86

Primer Pocket Uniforming Tool

What gives best results......hand turning the tool or using it in a drill?
Old October 22, 2012, 03:35 PM   #2
William T. Watts

Hand drill, faster and more uniform, I just finished uniforming 120 cases. Make it as easy on yourself as you can.. William
Old October 22, 2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Bill Daniel

Primer Pocket Uniforming Tool

I agree with William. When I used my Sinclair tool by hand the result was scaloped. When attached to my drill it was smooth.
All the Best,
Bill Daniel

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old October 22, 2012, 06:10 PM   #4
federali

Drill

I too agree, I use my Sinclair uniformer in a cordless drill and it works great.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:37 PM   #5
old roper

I use this one

http://www.shooters-supply.com/photo...rUniformer.jpg

I have the large and small one been use them about 30yrs now started when I was shooting BR. I've never used one that works with a drill been happy with mine.
NRA Life Member
Old October 22, 2012, 07:13 PM   #6
browninghunter86

I decided to try the K&M primer pocket correction tool from Brunos that is for use in a drill. http://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/pr...tion-tool.html

This should be my last step in my prep for match brass

Thanks for the quick replies and help
Old October 22, 2012, 08:05 PM   #7
NWPilgrim

I use the K&M uniformers as well. Snap one (LP, LR, SR/P) into my Makita cordless driver and zip away. Beautiful finish. I have the K&M handle for hand turning but it is a real pain. Can't imagine doing more than a couple of cases with a hand uniformer.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 22, 2012, 08:37 PM   #8
hk33ka1

I use a Sinclair in a drill press as I do with most of my turning case prep tools.

I had a Lyman and the depth collar came off. I like the one piece design of the Sinclair and K&M. The K&M is made to chuck into a drill.
Old October 22, 2012, 10:53 PM   #9
p loader

Quote:
I decided to try the K&M primer pocket correction tool from Brunos that is for use in a drill. http://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/pr...tion-tool.html

This should be my last step in my prep for match brass

Thanks for the quick replies and help
And.........this is why I love this site. Thanks for the tip.

WILL ORDER!

I can now buzz out primer pocket crimps from NATO brass, switch to this cleaner/correction tool and finish the job.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:19 AM   #10
browninghunter86

Called to order. Very helpful and lady in customer service was going to ship it in a small padded envelope to save money for me on shipping costs.

IIRC my total was only $22 shipped for the item. I can't wait to try it on some brass and compare it to ones not uniformed. Also am going to do same test with flash hole deburring. And then, test combined procedures to see what the results are.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:07 AM   #11
rg1

I prefer a primer pocket uniformer to have adjustable cutters. For small pistol and small rifle, depths are about the same but large pistol primer pockets and large rifle primer pockets the rifle pockets are deeper. I hand turn mine but a cordless drill-driver would be faster and like mentioned easier and more uniform if you are not careful with the feel doing it by hand.
Old October 29, 2012, 02:31 PM   #12
browninghunter86

ok if using in the drill how do you know when it has done its job on the primer pocket? How much pressure do you put and how long do you do it?
Old October 29, 2012, 06:31 PM   #13
snuffy

It should have a shoulder that runs into the base of the case when it's turning into the pocket. If it's adjustable, then you have to have a way to measure how deep it's cutting, and be able to set it exactly. Run the shoulder up tight against the case head, VIOLA!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 29, 2012, 08:03 PM   #14
browninghunter86

Thanks Snuffy I get that part but I can push hard on the case or I can barely push case. Not sure how hard I should push case onto the unifomer?

That make sense?
Old October 31, 2012, 03:06 AM   #15
NWPilgrim

You don't want to press too hard while it is cutting or it forces the cutter to bite too deep and can bind or chatter, or makes holding onto the case difficult as it spins with the cutter. I start with a light press and let the cutter work down through the brass. At the end I press firmly to make sure the base of the cutter head is for sure pressed against the case head (proper depth). I use a fixed depth cutter with no adjustment.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 1, 2012, 12:12 AM   #16
p loader

Just want to update that I got my K&M tool a few days ago. I put it on the drill (low speed) and the thing is awesome. Using the hand tool I would spin it in there for 3 to 5 seconds per piece and while cleaner than before, it wasn't exactly spotless.

With the K&M tool I place it inside the primer pocket, low speed for a few turns and walla! Nice and shiny inside.
Old November 1, 2012, 09:15 AM   #17
zplinker

My Whitetail tool uniformers run on a 220 volt machine: my lathe. Can't beat it. No adjustable cutters for me. I'd be changing them all the time, a real pita.
Old November 1, 2012, 09:41 AM   #18
browninghunter86

ok I get that but how much pressure are y'all putting on the case when using it on the lathe or drill? Never used one or seen one used so not sure how much pressure I should be applying

Should it make a squeeky noise when it is finished?( I assume this is fron the pocket being perfectly clean and then the cutter making contact)
Old November 1, 2012, 11:32 AM   #19
NWPilgrim

The cutter should spin freely when it has bottomed out because there is nothing more for it to cut. If it is squeaking then it could be binding on the pocket walls. Basically you cut until there is no more resistance. Some pockets are already deep enough and you won;t have resistance at all. Others just need the corners trimmed out, and some need actual cutting of the pocket bottom to level out to proper depth.

As I posted above, do not press too hard while it is cutting brass or you will force the cutter to bite too deeply and it will spin the case between your fingers instead of cutting. Press gently while it cuts brass. When resistance disappears then I press firmly to make sure it is completely bottomed out against the case head.
- James Madison
Old November 2, 2012, 11:05 AM   #20
browninghunter86

wow this is strange. When using in the drill I start and for some reason I can not tell when it is not cutting anymore. I have no feel for this yet. It appears when I do this the corners of the pockets are shiny and a small ammount of brass shavings. So it appears just the corners need uniforming on my brass now

I can tell when the case starts to want to turn in my fingers that is when I stop
Old November 2, 2012, 01:11 PM   #21
temmi

I use the Sinclair Primer Pocket Uniformer

and

No drill

Snake
Old November 2, 2012, 06:16 PM   #22
snuffy

Quote:
Wow this is strange. When using in the drill I start and for some reason I can not tell when it is not cutting anymore. I have no feel for this yet. It appears when I do this the corners of the pockets are shiny and a small amount of brass shavings. [b]So it appears just the corners need uniforming on my brass now]/b]
Yup, you're learning! A properly set primer pocket uniforming tool will ONLY cut a primer pocket deep enough to allow a primer to be set to the bottom of that pocket, which will result in the top surface of the cup to be .003-.005 BELOW flush. Cutting it deeper than that could result in miss fires.(Firing pin can't reach the primer).

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 2, 2012, 08:28 PM   #23
browninghunter86

K&M tool is preset and has a stop to prevent it from going too deep. Just I have no way of determining if I am using it correctly since I never seen one or used on before. K&M cust service told me with their tool you can not push too hard on the case because of its design will only cut the that depth regardless
Old November 2, 2012, 10:57 PM   #24
p loader

Quote:
K&M tool is preset and has a stop to prevent it from going too deep. Just I have no way of determining if I am using it correctly since I never seen one or used on before. K&M cust service told me with their tool you can not push too hard on the case because of its design will only cut the that depth regardless
This is what I have experienced, because the depth is set once it makes the cut it just spins freely. No matter how hard you push it's not going to cut off any more inside the pocket.
Old November 3, 2012, 12:09 AM   #25
browninghunter86

I went back and re did the cases and did alot better. I would uniform then dump shavings out. Uniform then dump shavings out. Took about 3-4 of this process to get the pockets looking like the pictures online of uniformed pockets.

First time trying to uniform. Only about 20 seconds

Here is the result of the process I mentioned at top of post

Last edited by browninghunter86; November 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM.