The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 21, 2012, 07:08 PM   #1
fortaaron

Lee Enfield No4 Mk.1 sight adjustment

i inherited a lee enfield for my birthday, it has the Mk.3 pop up adjustable peep sight. the peep sight when it is fliped down has a big hole and not the small hole. when i was at he range today firing it for the first time and getting used to it i put a nice group of 3 at 50 yards so i moved to 100, and i couldent hit the target worth a dam... i was using 10 bullets that came with the gun so i dont knwo what grain they were. so, i was wondering what i need to do to get my gun shooting accurately at 100 yards. i know i was shooting high cause there were no bullet holes to the right or left anywhere. could it be the big hole peep sight? if so where could i get a mk3 sight with a small hole? i have so many questions and no answers cause google wasent doing **** for me.. so i wanna know what it will take to get my enfield shooting accurately.
Old October 21, 2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Ulrice

When you change the adjustable pop up sight does it change how high the big peep hole sits?
Old October 21, 2012, 10:35 PM   #3
tahunua001

the aperture sights on enfield no 4 rifles were set at 300 meter zeros. you need to aim quite low in order to hit bullseye. this was quite common with military bolt action rifles as many could not be adjusted once they left the factory. the only way to solve the issue is to either replace the whole sight setup or replace the front sight with a taller post.

when I shoot my enfields I just hold about 8-10 inches low at 100 and call it good. these rifles were made to kill bad guys, not deer or targets. if a soldier were to aim at center mass at 100 he would get a neck or head shot while moving out the shot moves back closer to center mass.

Last edited by tahunua001; October 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:52 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

You have a choice of four military backsights.

You should be able to work out a 100yd zero with a taller front blade. Check evil bay for sets of tall blades.

There are aftermarket backsights that are ultra adjustable. These tend ro cost more than the rifle.

Parker-Hale

AJ Parker

There are a few American made Redfield backsights for the No4, much less than the Parkers. Hard to find.

Tags
bullet grain , lee enfiled , no.4 mk.1 , peep sight