The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 1, 2009, 01:31 PM   #1
LloydXmas250

California Hunting Question

I asked this in a CA based forum and got no responses so I figured I'd give it a shot here. I just got a shotgun and I'm looking forward to getting my hunting license very soon so I can take upland game, non-waterfowl birds and small mammals. But I'm a bit confused on where it is and is not legal to hunt. I'd love to go to my local mountains in the San Bernardino Natl. Forest cause they have an abundance of quail and rabbit, but I'm not sure on how to find out where it is and is not legal to hunt within the forest or anywhere for that matter. Anyone know or know how I could find out? Thanks.
Old December 1, 2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Remingtonvadeer

check ur local hunting regs. u should have a web sit. remeber u need ur hunter saftey to get ur liecense. as long as its not private but public wma you can hunt.
Old December 1, 2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Scorch

You can contact the San Bernardino National Forest headquarters for maps, information about shooting and hunting, and closure areas.
Old December 1, 2009, 04:30 PM   #4
LloydXmas250

I know I need that safety course. I'm signing up for that now. As for state's guidelines, I read over them but they don't really get into specifics of areas. The website for the San B Natl Forest makes it sound like you can hunt anywhere in the forest as long as you have your license and are the necessary distance from structures and roads. Yet if I go talk to an actual ranger they give me the run-around saying it's not safe to be hunting in their forest and that there's a high fire danger so I can't even though we're out of fire season and it rained last week. I need some none BS ranger who doesn't mind people hunting to answer my question.
Old December 1, 2009, 05:21 PM   #5
jmr40

National Forests are generally fine in most states, but who knows about California. I would give a call to the local game and fish office and talk to them.
Old December 1, 2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Phoneguy

I live near Redding, it's the other end of the world from where you are. You should get yourself a National Forest map, BLM maps and check with the DFG. Join a local outdoors group and meet some folks who know. Go to a Sporting goods store and ask someone about local public land.
On another note... Private property that is fenced does not have to have signs. Private property without a fence will normally have 3 signs per mile. Even in California land owners do sometimes give permission to hunt. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Old December 1, 2009, 05:38 PM   #7
LloydXmas250

Yeah. Thanks for the ideas. I guess I'll go above the ranger and hear it from the horse's mouth. Hopefully the DFG aren't as unhelpful as the rangers down here.
Old December 1, 2009, 06:13 PM   #8
Scorch

Dept of Fish & Game= game wardens= enforce game laws
US Forest Service= Forest Rangers= enforce Nat'l Forest policies and rules
Two entirely different beasts.

The DFG can tell you when, how, and what to hunt. USFS can tell you where to hunt (or where not to, in your case). But they cannot stop you from hunting on National Forest lands unless your safety or the safety of others might be compromised (congested area, fire danger is extreme, heavy rains causing flooding/landslides, etc), areas closed for a variety of reasons, or some other policy reason. They are not trying to stop you from hunting, just not in the area you want to hunt. I have hunted Nat'l Forests in CA many, many times (Los Padres, Inyo, Tulare, Tehachapi, Shasta, etc), and as long as you are doing it safely, there is never an issue. Read their rules, read the game regs, and go hunting where you can do it safely and legally. Good luck!!
Old December 1, 2009, 07:13 PM   #9
Phoneguy

Quote:
The DFG can tell you when, how, and what to hunt.
You are mistaken if you don't think the DFG tells you where you can hunt. I was born in Tehama County and I live in Shasta County. If I am hunting an area I am not familiar with I'll call a DFG biologist or speak to a warden. The DGF will tell you if you can't hunt somewhere. The USFS only manages the forest. You can get a map from them but they can not tell you whether or not you can hunt there.
Old December 1, 2009, 10:41 PM   #10
Big Caliber

FWIW, The San Ber'do sherriff's dept used to have a map of the entire county showing where you can & cannot shoot. I know the local Wally Mart has copies of the DFG hunting regulations for the state in what's left of their hunting and fishing department.
Old December 1, 2009, 11:08 PM   #11
LloydXmas250

Thanks. I'll check both the sheriff and Walmart. Thanks for the tip. Can't wait to get some quail.
Old December 2, 2009, 01:10 AM   #12
Fat White Boy

I'm not sure where you are in So Cal but you should web search for a Quail Unlimited chapter near you. There are several chapters in So Cal that do wildlife projects with the DFG, National Forests, BLM and others. You will not only get an education on Upland Game but get some good ideas on where to hunt and guys to hunt with... I know there is a chapter in Riverside.
Old December 2, 2009, 07:25 PM   #13
cheff

Make sure you look for Wildlife management areas. Some you can hunt and some you cant. I have been hunting coyotes, rabbits, crow and doves in Hollenbeck canyon about 15 minutes from my house in SD county.

Most of the forest areas are open to hunting, but some are shotgun only. I also hunt the wilderness areas in SD county like Pine Creek Wilderness and Houser wilderness. They are a bit farther from home so I tend to stick to Hollenbeck canyon.

You can find just about all you need to here, including maps etc.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/