The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 13, 2005, 11:05 AM   #1
pippin53

S&W 945 Questions

I'm considering one of these and have lately read of a 945-1? What is the difference between these two? Any reason to prefer one over the other?

Thanks,
Jim
Old October 13, 2005, 11:13 AM   #2
at-home-daddy

The 945-1 has a firing pin safety; the 945 does not. Mine's a 945, but I don't plan to carry mine. If you're looking at carrying one, a dash-one may be the better choice.
Old October 13, 2005, 11:18 AM   #3
pippin53

Thanks, Daddy

Does the firing pin safety affect the function in an adverse fashion like I've heard with the Schwartz system on the Kimbers? Or is it an improvement?

Jim
Old October 13, 2005, 11:26 AM   #4
at-home-daddy

That's pretty subjective, and you'll probably get a 50/50 split on if it adversely affects it or not. I think the usual school of thought is that a firing pin safety *may* make the trigger pull just a bit less crisp since it has one more moving mechanism within the cycle and can potentially add added friction and thus be less smooth. With no FP safety at all, it's not even a concern. However, I've tried 1911s both with and without a FP safety, and the subtlety escaped me, so <shrugs>. And particularly w/ the Performance Center products, it's going to be awfully crisp and smooth regardless, so I would think it'd be a safe bet either way.

Having said all that, if it were me (and it was), and I wasn't going to be carrying it but just using it as a range or competition toy (and perhaps home defense), I'd look for a no-dash version. Not because there's necessarily anything wrong with a dash-one, but if you don't need it and you have the option of either/or, why have it?
Old October 13, 2005, 04:02 PM   #5
rbert0005

I have a few of each. I can say that I have found no difference in the trigger pulls.

Either works wonderfully. Don't fear one over the other.

Bob