The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 21, 2009, 05:49 PM   #1
lunchbox

this may sound dumb

I know it is very common place for folks to carry an AR or AK or what have you in their car or truck I did the same thing for years. My situation has since changed I now ride a 1989 ninja 750R and would still like to carry my AK what I am looking for is if someone knows of a rifle bag/ backpack (as i do need to carry other things as well) that doesn't look like I am caring around a rifle or some sort of scabbard that i can mount that is again discrete and can lock in some way

Any ideas
Old May 21, 2009, 10:31 PM   #2
elkman06

Maybe you could get someone to fabricate a really cool tricked out massive muffler. elkman06
Seems like it might be a little hard to conceal a Ak on a 750 Ninja...

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old May 21, 2009, 10:34 PM   #3
OttoJara

If your on a ninja, you should carry numbchucks

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old May 21, 2009, 11:14 PM   #4
05kas05

i have heard of some people using one of those soft sided guitar cases that have the backpack style straps.
Old May 21, 2009, 11:33 PM   #5
KChen986

Idea: Folding Stock for your AK? It'll fit a discrete backpack easier.
Old May 22, 2009, 04:44 AM   #6
Dallas Jack

Dump the AK and get a handgun.
Dallas Jack
Old May 22, 2009, 05:35 AM   #7
Dingoboyx

I'm with 05kas

I immediately thought of a violin case (or guitar case) or even a trombone case.... find a hard (semi-hard) case for a musical instrument or tool such as a theodalite, or a break down fishin' rod case, pool que case or the like Whatever you end up getting, put a sling on it & you should be right
Old May 22, 2009, 06:27 AM   #8
armoredman

I have seen a folding stock AK placed in a tennis racket bag. Try that if it's legal for you in your location.
Old May 22, 2009, 06:45 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

I'm going to guess that it would just be easier to conceal and carry a handgun. I can't imagine any way to really "secure" a rifle on a motorcycle.
Old May 22, 2009, 06:50 AM   #10
Ian0351

For concealment you could use a golf bag... but seeing a guy on a crotchrocket with a golf bag strapped to it (or guitar/violin case) would certainly pique the interest of at least observant people. Also you'd have to deal with 'grass ninja' slurs.

Semper Fidelis
Old May 22, 2009, 01:23 PM   #11
lunchbox

I have handguns that is not the issue

I carry them as well I want to have a backup plan
Old May 22, 2009, 01:25 PM   #12
lunchbox

I defiantly plan to get a folding stock
Old May 22, 2009, 03:21 PM   #13
1goodshot

Look at sneaky bags they may have something.

http://www.sneakybags.com/
Old May 22, 2009, 07:32 PM   #14
lunchbox

that bag may just work
Old May 26, 2009, 12:55 PM   #15
lunchbox

dont die thread dont die
Old May 27, 2009, 03:20 PM   #16
TEDDY

carry

If you stay out of bad places you wont need primary let alone a back up.I am 85 and never been robbed,and I lived in Roxbury Mass for 10 yrs.if you dont look like a victim you wont be.having known some bad boys,they look for easy scores.course now the old timers are gone and the new crop are scum bags.you have time for one shot,and that AK will get you killed trying to get it out.I carry a tokorve inside belt and a hi power in back leave the shirt out.it covers both.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:50 PM   #17
lunchbox

I carry an XDsc with 3 extra 12 round mags filled with cor-bon DPX and an XDm with 4 extra mags filled with Winchester ranger everyone keeps saying get a handgun I have that covered that is not the issue at hand
Old May 28, 2009, 09:16 AM   #18
(BH)

lunchbox,

forgive me if i sound rude but this sparks my interest. doesnt that just seem like a massive inconvenience for something you will almost certainly never need.

i mean, its gonna be really hard to secure this thing to your bike. not to mention it seems like it could end up being a safety hazard due to its size. and in the event that you need it, how are you going to equip yourself with it while ridin a motorcycle? i think the idea of carrying a rifle in in your vehicle went out with the truck.

why not just get a large bore pistol of some sort?
Old May 28, 2009, 10:06 AM   #19
FF/EMT

No disrespect but....

Ya man I have to say, I would go for a sidearm and maybe some spare mags? As a firefighter, if you wrecked and I was walking up and saw that weapon, legally I would not be able to help you. I would have to turn right around and walk away because the "scene is not safe". So for your own sake I would just carry a sidearm. And I don't think there will come a time when you will need an AK-47 in public. I think a sidearm would be enough to get you out of harms way and to open the door for the PD to do their job.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:19 AM   #20
lunchbox

thank you for your opinion but i care not

what kind of BS is that you cant help a dying man because he has a gun

the old saying rings true i would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it you can never know what will happen on any given day i plan to be prepared at all times

Last edited by lunchbox; May 28, 2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:53 PM   #21
Ian0351

For the OP:
Exactly why do you think you need a subcompact, a full-size duty pistol and and AK on your motorcycle? Do you live in Peshawar? Is it even legal to travel with a loaded rifle where you live?
Quite frankly this topic, and your response to FF/EMT's well-intentioned response, seems rather juvenile. Have you ever seen an AK with a runaway trigger? Are you really that surprised that a professional lifesaver would have compunctions about traveling into an accident scene with the possibility of that occurring? If it's that important to you to carry an assault rifle on your motorcycle, go ahead; just don't berate the people you came to for advice for offering their professional opinions just because it's not what you want to hear.

P.S.- It's spelled dying... and this forum has a spell-checker built into the editor, that's what the red underlining means.

Semper Fidelis
Old May 28, 2009, 01:57 PM   #22
lunchbox

I'm not trying to berate anyone.

I don't understand why nobody seems to think that an EMT not helping someone due to the fact a gun is present Is BS so if a cop gets shot he has a gun are you going to let him lay there and die come on.

and the opinions given are not about the question I asked.

Also I live in Texas and yes it is legal to carry in this state. (the BATFE has no soul off topic)

Again its OK for people to do so in their cars and trucks but not for me and my bike. I don't have a car I ride everywhere I go

Quote:
For the OP:
Exactly why do you think you need a subcompact, a full-size duty pistol and and AK on your motorcycle? Do you live in Peshawar? Is it even legal to travel with a loaded rifle where you live?
Quite frankly this topic, and your response to FF/EMT's well-intentioned response, seems rather juvenile. Have you ever seen an AK with a runaway trigger? Are you really that surprised that a professional lifesaver would have compunctions about traveling into an accident scene with the possibility of that occurring? If it's that important to you to carry an assault rifle on your motorcycle, go ahead; just don't berate the people you came to for advice for offering their professional opinions just because it's not what you want to hear.

P.S.- It's spelled dying... and this forum has a spell-checker built into the editor, that's what the red underlining means.
Old May 28, 2009, 02:03 PM   #23
Hamcheese

HAHA...Stick!
Old May 28, 2009, 02:04 PM   #24
Dustin0

Mall Ninja ?

I see this one going to the mall ninja thread later tonight.

Last edited by Dustin0; May 28, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old May 28, 2009, 02:09 PM   #25
Ian0351

He didn't say he wouldn't render assistance to someone with a gun, in fact he encouraged you to carry a gun that is meant for carrying. What was said was that a unsecured AK in an accident scene would make rendering immediate assistance unsafe. In cases such as this first responders have a duty first and foremost to preserve public safety; so you may have to wait for someone trained to deal with a potentially unsafe weapon to arrive and deal with your rifle while you're bleeding out from your crotchrocket crash.
I repeat, have you ever seen a runaway trigger? It is excessively dangerous and very common in AK-47 rifles which have been exposed to heat or impact, even those which have been converted to semi-auto only. If you have a MAK-90 or something you should be OK, but your average EMT probably does not know the difference between a converted select-fire and an import legal post ban AK. Also, how bad does it look to police when someone crashes at high speed and an AK spills out onto the road? Regardless of the laws where you live you have a duty to safely and securely transport any and all firearms, this is also usually written into the state laws regarding guns and vehicles.

Semper Fidelis