The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 13, 2014, 02:35 PM   #126
FITASC

There is a pre-made stick thrower that works real well. Saw one years ago where the shaft was a stiff spring. That could fling very fast targets at past 100 yards with the right swing. Lots of fun if you don't have good machines set up.
Old December 13, 2014, 03:00 PM   #127
Brutus

Never heard of this before. Do you use, say a 6 iron for the less experienced and switch to a 9 for the better shots? Sounds like this could be a sport within a sport.
Old December 14, 2014, 03:35 AM   #128
Dreaming100Straight

Watch shaft stiffness. Graphite tends to be to whippy.
Old December 14, 2014, 06:12 AM   #129
Brutus

Based on my abilities a putter is all that would be required.
Old December 14, 2014, 06:44 PM   #130
340 Weatherby

Dan Carlisle, when he used to live in California, had a hand thrower attached to an eight foot fishing rod blank. Those were the fastest targets I ever shot at.
Old December 15, 2014, 11:04 AM   #131
darkgael

SG choices

In any of these discussions about gun choices, we always read about shooters who use their basic off the rack 870 or Ithaca or Model 12 to best the fellows with the five figure SGs.
More power to them.
I wonder, though, about elite shooters and their choices....Take Kim Rhode for an example....she could shoot any gun she wanted to. She shoots a Perazzi. Why is that? (One reason may be durability. She shoots between 500 and 1000 shells a day every day that she practices.) Perazzi is THE most commonly used SG in Olympic shooting. Why is that when there are so many choices?
Even the German team uses Perazzis.

Last edited by darkgael; December 15, 2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old December 15, 2014, 11:26 AM   #132
Dreaming100Straight

I watch her shoot once in a while and she dropped Perazzi for Beretta about a year ago. My guess is it is a professional ($ponsorship) thing and at her level the maker customizes the gun so much it is nearly a one of a kind thing.
Old December 15, 2014, 03:19 PM   #133
darkgael

B-gun/ P-gun

D100s: thanks for that info. I did not know that she had signed with Beretta.
Now I will have to say that she won all her Olympic medals with a Perazzi. At least until the next Olympics.
Pete
Old December 15, 2014, 04:07 PM   #134
Brutus

I think world class shooters like Mz. Rohde and the late Tom Knapp could shoot a High Point shotgun and make it look good.
Old December 15, 2014, 06:48 PM   #135
Dreaming100Straight

Can you imagine how it feels for me to be hacking holes in the sky while Kim is on the field immediately next to me?
Old December 15, 2014, 07:22 PM   #136
FITASC

And you weren't asking for help?
I bet she'd give you some pointers
Old December 15, 2014, 09:02 PM   #137
Dreaming100Straight

I am afraid she would give me some pointers just as she has some of folk. I would be very embarrassed as poorly as I shoot, but I once chatted with her about mainly non gun stuff.
Old December 15, 2014, 09:21 PM   #138
Brutus

The main reason I shoot trap & skeet is to curtail the disappointed look I get from my Springer when I miss a bird he's worked so hard to flush. It's kind of like I did my job what happened to you.
Old December 15, 2014, 11:05 PM   #139
ZVP

Would you look at this MONSTER!
I nebver thpught there'd be so many opnions about the topic!
Glad I strted it!
I DO love that little 20 Ga SxS! it is "Me" all over! The dit. being so able to hit with it I never could shoot a Double before). Generally, the gun is "mine"!
I have yet to try many types of loads just to see how it'll do? So many variations to shoot and all change things just a bit!
Back in the 60's I remember learning a Savage 12 ga pump the same way, tayloring loads to suit my wants and just experimenting for the heck pf it!
This little Stoger is a sweetheart!
I wish I'd not have shyed away from 20 gauges years sgo, but you know how youththinks, Bigger is better.
Thanks to all for teaching me and everyone else so much!
ZVP
Old December 16, 2014, 03:23 AM   #140
darkgael

Nice

Nice when a gun works for you.
Nothing points like a SXS.
Pete
Old December 16, 2014, 04:27 PM   #141
SPEMack618

Having met Kim, and her husband, they're super great people. She'd be willing to give lessons all day; provided she still got her practice in.

Despite being a combat veteran, former state level 4H champion skeet shooter, and on my college's rifle team, according to my girlfriend I was reduced to making "uhhh" and "ummm" type sounds.

In response to a previous question; at our club 7.5 is the biggest allowed, with most folks using No. 8 or No. 9 depending on the station.
Old December 16, 2014, 07:43 PM   #142
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus
I think world class shooters like Mz. Rohde and the late Tom Knapp could shoot a High Point shotgun and make it look good.
I'd be willing to bet that if you gave them a .22 rifle to use, they could shoot a respectable score.
Old December 21, 2014, 07:48 AM   #143
Brutus

Problem is, we working stiffs only get out once a week or less and then we shoot 100 maybe 200 rounds depending on how much time we can invest.
In the 40 years I've been enjoying the sport I've never gotten 25 out of 25, on average I do 15 to 20 and I think my personnel best was a 23.
Of course I'm my own worst enemy, drinking a pot of coffee before and during doesn't help much. Really screws up my pistol shooting as well.