The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 16, 2014, 07:09 PM   #1
higgscharger

Union Arms SxS 12 Gauge

Just wanting my research checked.

I got a very beat up old SxS. My research suggests it is probably not worth much, but I want to make sure before I start chopping the barrel with a hack saw.

SxS 12 Gauge
Rabbit ears
Double Trigger

Markings:
Left of the receiver: Union Arms Co.
RIght of the receiver: Belgium
Top of barrel (between barrels on rib): Decarbonized steel
There is also a symbol on the top of each barrel, hard to make out because of the wear.

From waht I have found, this is probably one of many imported guns made by a lot of different people in the first half of the century and are generally low value guns (400-500 in excellent condition) and worth very little in poor condition like mine.

ANy reason to think differently based on this information?
Old November 16, 2014, 09:22 PM   #2
Dreaming100Straight

Have you seen this. I am guessing that the gun may have been made in Belgium for the Toledo, OH company between 1910 and 1913.

I don't know if you even want to shoot that thing with modern ammunition and especially with smokeless powder. You may first want to read up on Decarbonized Steel and also have the gun checked out by someone knowledgeable in those barrels. Do you even know the proper chamber length?
Old November 17, 2014, 10:14 AM   #3
higgscharger

Hmmm... that is older than I thought it was, I must have found a different "Union" something rather from the 40-50s.

I did a function test with primer only, both barrels went "POP," so that part works at least.

My plan was to shorten the barrel and use this for cowboy action shooting, which means 50 rounds every month or two. At that rate, I could probably afford some of the black powder or reduced load ammo that is available.

BUt, I will make sure that I have a more knowledgeable person take a look at it before I even go that far.
Old November 20, 2014, 09:02 PM   #4
RJay

H&D Folsom did use the trade name on Crescent made shotguns and Crescent went out of sight in the 1930's. However, trade names many times belonged to the retailer and they could use it on as many different shotguns as they desired. Outside hammers went out of style in the early 1900's prior to WWI. You said your shotgun is marked Belgium then it was made prior to WW I. It also could very possibly have 2 5/8 chambers. With short chambers and old steel I would be careful .