The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 17, 2001, 10:45 PM   #1
seadog

I've got a Benelli M3 I was thinking about mounting a Aimpoint CompML sight on. Would this affect reliability since the gun is recoil operated? Also, what would be better, drilling and tapping for a base, or using one of the mounts which uses the replacement receiver pins? Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Old May 18, 2001, 11:05 AM   #2
Recon

Benelli makes the Practical model which comes with the weaver base on top. I've shot with a bunch of guys that have mounted optics without a problem. I've been looking a put an optima on mine. I just have to convince EGW to make a mount that that replaces the ghostring rear sight. I would stay away from the saddle style mounts. Get it drilled and tapped.
Old May 18, 2001, 11:35 AM   #3
jthuang

Adding mass will change the inertia of the gun, which may affect reliability as the Benelli is an inertia-operated weapon.

However, it seems that most of the reliability problems with heavily accessorized inertia-operated semi-autos involve a combination of a TacStar sidesaddle and a Surefire weaponlight. Both items have considerable mass, especially the sidesaddle when fully loaded. An Aimpoint Comp doesn't have much mass, even with the appropriate mount -- I have a Comp M-XD with the Aimpoint Rail Grabber on my Bushmaster and the entire unit is still very light.

Bottom line, I don't think the Aimpoint will affect the reliability of your gun. If it does, contact Wolff Gunsprings (http://www.gunsprings.com) for a special spring to solve the problem.

Justin
Old May 21, 2001, 02:54 PM   #4
NAD

Why do you want to mount an Aimpoint (or any other optics) on your shotgun?