The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 31, 2013, 09:12 PM   #101
SgtLumpy

I think you're absolutely right, Kframe. Robo cop becomes sniper cop killer.

Sgt Lumpy
Old August 3, 2013, 11:50 AM   #102
Bullcamp82834

Another line from Tuco in The Good The Bad and The Ugly. Not a goofy line but a very wise piece of advice.

He says to the dead body of a guy he's just killed.........
"When it's time to shoot.....shoot......don't talk"

That may not be verbatim but gives the idea.
Old August 3, 2013, 04:56 PM   #103
taylor351

Armed and Dangerous

John Candy as Frank

The Cowboy: Slim, I ain't never seen a handgun that big before.

Frank Dooley: Yeah, it's a 50 caliber. They used to use it to hunt buffalo with... up close! It's only legal in two states. And this isn't one of them.

The Cowboy: You're somthin' else, Slim.
Old August 3, 2013, 05:56 PM   #104
UncleEd

In Magnum Force, when Dirty Harry is being chased inside the tight steel companionways of an aircraft carrier. One of the pursuers lets go with presumably a dozen magnum rounds.

I think Harry could have gone topside with a jackhammer at full tilt banging and the cop wouldn't have heard it or him.
Old August 6, 2013, 02:17 PM   #105
Formynder

Not so much lines, but in Falling Skies there was a scene where a truck stopped in the middle of a bridge and fired at an alien craft with a dual .50 cal M2, and the three guys standing around the truck are able to carry on a conversation immediately afterwards even though no ear pro was used.

Or my all time favorite, an entire episode of the Mentalist, where a Texan in California is the main baddy. He's a "weapons expert" and is seen firing a lmg from the hip at a range, against 3 mannequins who are maybe 15 yards away. The entire range applauded him for it. (Small outdoor range, no ear pro from hardly anyone there.) Again, immediate normal conversation with the cop after the shooting stops. And then at the end of the show he pulls out an Uzi to shoot up a crowd and the police tricked him by replacing all the shots with blanks. Not only does the "weapon expert" not notice when he loads his gun, or checks it (assuming he does, because he's an expert), but the Uzi cycled perfectly fine.
Old August 8, 2013, 05:54 PM   #106
SgtLumpy

Lines and/or Scenes ...

An episode of "Life".

Detective gets shot, lives, recovers. Doctors give him the lead "slug" that they removed from his chest. At his home, he fires up his coleman stove, heats the deformed lead slug in a realistic looking little dipper thing and pours a new bullet into an actual bullet mold. I don't know if a coleman stove LP gas burner is enough to melt a spent bullet, but otherwise, so far it's believable.

Next he takes an empty 9mm brass case and uses that to scoop gunpowder out of a bowl. No measuring, no weighing, just scoops it full of powder like he was scooping coffee with a coffee measure thingie.

Places his newly cast lead bullet in the case and taps it into place with his needle nose pliers. No crimp or anything.

He then loads it into his Beretta magazine appropriately and goes on to find and shoot the guy that shot him with the same bullet the first time.

Sgt Lumpy
Old August 9, 2013, 07:04 AM   #107
BigTex308

Re: Goofy Movie Gun Lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtLumpy View Post
An episode of "Life".

Detective gets shot, lives, recovers. Doctors give him the lead "slug" that they removed from his chest. At his home, he fires up his coleman stove, heats the deformed lead slug in a realistic looking little dipper thing and pours a new bullet into an actual bullet mold. I don't know if a coleman stove LP gas burner is enough to melt a spent bullet, but otherwise, so far it's believable.

Next he takes an empty 9mm brass case and uses that to scoop gunpowder out of a bowl. No measuring, no weighing, just scoops it full of powder like he was scooping coffee with a coffee measure thingie.

Places his newly cast lead bullet in the case and taps it into place with his needle nose pliers. No crimp or anything.

He then loads it into his Beretta magazine appropriately and goes on to find and shoot the guy that shot him with the same bullet the first time.

Sgt Lumpy

That's how I load mine. Isn't that how everybody does it?

Maybe that's why they call me one-eyed-pete

Ike
Old August 9, 2013, 09:57 AM   #108
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
This guy apparently enjoyed it. He emptied a full magazine into him
I don't really see a problem with a line like this. I might hear a similar mistake at my local range. Maybe even from a LEO. Clip/magazine and such are so common in real life why would they be out of place in a movie?
What kills me is the artificial sound or barrel flashes where the gun does not recoil. I recently saw a movie where the lack of recoil was a plot element(someone was supposed to have doctored the video evidence and that was the proof). I noticed, but I assumed it was just a mistake the movie makers made.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; August 9, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old August 9, 2013, 03:56 PM   #109
johnwilliamson062

I just got home and turned on netflix. I hate to admit it, but I am currently working my way through sliders. I claim nostalgia as I was ten when it came on. If you want to see something stacked with this type of mistake Sliders will fill your day. Almost every episode features firearm handling, special effects, and quotes that make me cringe.
Old August 9, 2013, 06:54 PM   #110
smokiniron

WEBLEYMKV and billiard balls....

Quote:
Best (worst?) I can think of is in the Jim Carrey flick The Mask when the detective mentions that the landlady unloaded a few rounds of "twenty ought buckshot" at a prowler. By my calculation, that means that each pellet should be roughly the size of a billiard ball
In THAT movie, they probably WERE!
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old August 14, 2013, 01:45 PM   #111
Bart Noir

I was just watching some previous season NCIS episodes.

The shell casing at a murder scene was called a Tokarev 25mm. At least twice in the show

Heck, I think the Tokarev pistol is barely 25mm wide.

Bart Noir
Who has watched several NCIS agents draw a pistol, fire two or three shots, and end up holding a pistol with slides locked back. On the show, I mean. I don't hang around real NCIS gunfights!

Edited to add: Just watched an old episode where gunshot residue on a suspect was going to be “cordite and sulfur”.

Last edited by Bart Noir; August 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old August 27, 2013, 07:21 PM   #112
2ndsojourn

Not a line but a scene.

In 'The Patriot', when the Redcoats were raiding Mel Gibson's home, Mel rides up with his militiamen on horses, rears up on his horse 'hi-o-silver' style, and fires his repeating flintlock pistol, twice.
Old August 27, 2013, 09:44 PM   #113
dakota.potts

Who can forget Bruce Campbell's "This is my boomstick!" line after firing his double barrel shotgun 4 times without reloading.

Or at the end of the movie when he breaks a rifle out of a glass case at the S-Mart where he works and fires it some 30 odd times. It's a lever action. Let alone that it's loaded in the glass case at the store.