The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 19, 2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Nathan

How would you build your next AR15?

1) complete upper + complete lower
2) upper assy+ LPK + stripped lower + misc parts and Accesories
3) individual parts as much as possible

My first was a 3 because I had a barrel I wanted to use.

My last 1 is a 2...I think that will be easier because uppers can be had as almost any complete configuration.

What is your preference and why? Let's discuss some for all the new builders.
Old December 19, 2012, 02:32 PM   #2
sam colt

build AR

Apparently, very damn slowly!
Old December 19, 2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Quentin2

#2...
All four of mine have started with a stripped lower then a complete upper. All components were carefully selected though. I wouldn't even try to build a better upper than BCM, Daniel Defense or even PSA sell, just choose the one you like best.
Old December 19, 2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Dr Big Bird PhD

If I built another AR, it would depend on where I live in a few years and the laws pertaining.

1) Still living in Cali: Complete 6.8 upper from bison armory, build stripped lower. I'd spend the extra on a wood pistol grip and stock to give it a more "hunting feel". For some reason I like wood on an AR if done right. Probably get a Nikon 2-7 scope on it.

2) Not in Cali/NY/NJ/IL and no new restrictive laws are passed: Save up for an NFA weapon. I'd go ahead and build from scratch unless I could find a quality 14.5 inch 300 BO upper. I'd then do the NFA registration and get a suppressor permanently attached so it's not an SBR. No interest in SBRs or Full-Auto. Heck I don't even like the 10.5 inch AR or AK pistols.
I'd include an ACE Socom adjustable stock, probably a standard A2 grip, and most likely if i can float this money for ammo and build, I'll be willing to get an eotech w/ magnifyer.

Edit: I am a very new builder since I just got done ~3 weeks ago finishing my first AR build. Started with stripped noveske n4 lower, cmmg LPK, ACE skeleton stock, and a Cerro Forge Socom LE upper 5.56 16". IDK who put the lower together, I got it off gunbroker brand new from a class III ffl that wouldn't disclose the maker. I think its LMT though.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 19, 2012, 04:27 PM   #5
spacecoast

... to look just like a blunderbuss?
Old December 19, 2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Metal god

My next build has been many different things from calibers to purpose . As of now I want to put together an AR for shooting high power comp and plan to build it one piece at a time .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 19, 2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old December 19, 2012, 05:53 PM   #7
BillyJack3

2. Couple of punches and a castle nut wrench and your good to go. Upper builds require more tools that I don't have and probably wont get unless I plan on building a few ARs. Rather have Spikes or BCM build one, test it and support it with a warranty.
Old December 19, 2012, 05:58 PM   #8
scsov509

Quote:
2. Couple of punches and a castle nut wrench and your good to go. Upper builds require more tools that I don't have and probably wont get unless I plan on building a few ARs. Rather have Spikes or BCM build one, test it and support it with a warranty.
Uppers don't really require much more than a barrel wrench either. An upper receiver block is nice, but you can get by without if need be. I built my first several AR's with a set of punches, hammer, some Allen wrenches, and a multi wrench. There's just not a lot too it. So I always opt for individual parts so I can build the way I want.
Old December 20, 2012, 01:11 AM   #9
Apom

Kinda funny with the way things are going. I was going to buy all the tools to build my own AR..with the stuff going on now.. not sure if buying the tools is going to be worth it as I'm not sure if we will even be allowed to build anything.
Old December 20, 2012, 04:26 AM   #10
philobeddoe

I'd finish an 80% receiver. It seems the smartest route right now.

No one has finished lowers in stock, nor magazines ...,

you've got time to finish the lower.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:58 AM   #11
oldsoonershooter

I'm in the process of building one now. and 3 more in the waiting stage. Currently building a cmmg stripped lower and parts kit with a Magpul stock and grip. Dark Earth color. Uppers seem to be getting harder to find, and they almost all come without the BCD. I guess the suppliers took them out and sell uppers for the same price as before then sell the BCD for another $200. I hope this frenzy ends soon and parts availability gets better.
Old December 20, 2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Achilles11B

I like #3, I can build it exactly to my specs and it's very satisfying. It requires some tools, but definitely worth it IMHO.

Then again, depending on how things go, I want my next build to be an SBR with the intention of adding a suppressor, so perhaps a piston upper will be in order. I'm not a piston guru, so I think an assembled upper will be in order.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:39 PM   #13
Nathan

When you say #3, how finite do you break down your part by part. Do you use a stripped upper or a complet upper sans barrel and rail system?

Also, do you use an LPK or buy individual parts. For me, I really like LPK's without the trigger and with the MOE trigger guard.

Bolts, do you build them up or just use a quality bolt assy?

Not just directed at one person, but kind of to the group. . .

Also, I wonder for an accuracy rifle, if I wouldn't be better off, naming a blank brand and dimensions and supplying a bolt to headspace to. Thoughts?
Old December 21, 2012, 08:36 PM   #14
Justice06RR

Currently I have 2 AR builds going, both completely from parts. Gonna be a long process due to the current climate of gun culture.

It would be a good time to sell though!
Old December 21, 2012, 10:03 PM   #15
Marquezj16

I finished a couple of builds recently. Both lowers were piece by piece. One upper was complete and the second one was part per part. Both Bcg were complete sets.
Old December 21, 2012, 10:38 PM   #16
DnPRK

Been doing it since the mid-1980s. All started as parts.
Old December 22, 2012, 05:26 AM   #17
mavracer

I'm probably not going to build another AR, if I did I'd definatly start with a stripped lower and lower parts kit. Upper would depend on what I was building and budget.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 22, 2012, 06:38 AM   #18
Mobuck

Like I've said before, pushing two pins IS NOT BUILDING. The one I just finished had not two parts connected except the barrel and extension.