The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 12, 2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Yung.gunr

Springfield P9 price?

In my local classifieds there is this listed

"SPRINGFIELD ARMORY P9-LSP /IPSC ULTRA MATCH
BUILT AT GENESEO,IL USA PLANT BETWEEN 1989-1991
HEAD GUNSMITH LES BAER

9MM /SINGLE ACTION ONLY
LONG SLIDE
FACTORY PORTED MATCH BARREL
FLAT MATCH TRIGGER ADJUSTABLE RESET AND OVERTRAVEL
ADJUSTABLE BOMAR REAR SIGHT
AMBI SAFTY
2 19 ROUND MAGS/USES ANY 9MM EEA,CZ75,TANGFOLIO MAGS
1 MODIFIED CZ ITAC HOLSTER
HOUGE GRIPS"

It looks to be in good shape, but is it really worth $650? I could only find a couple using Google search and it looks like they went for ~ $450.

I would like to trade him but it looks like he is asking too much.

Based on what I found online I was thinking about offering a XD9 for a trade.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Yung.gunr; September 12, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Walt Sherrill

They're nice guns; basically a CZ-75 clone, made from Tanfoglio parts that were assembled in the U.S. by Springfield.

If Les Baer peraonlly had something to do with the gun, you might be justified paying a bit more. That time frame was apparently before he went into business for himself, but he already had a good reputation. I think he did Custom Shop work for Springfield back then, too.

The fact that it's a "long slide" version justifies a slightly higher price, as does the factory porting. This appears to be the equivalent of a "Springfield Custom Shop" gun, and that might justify some extra cost, too.

The Fjestad Blue Book lists the long slide comped version as selling for a $450 or so in 95% condition -- but that's the strictly stock version. The fact that this gun is SA with different parts suggests some additional work.

I'm a sucker for "custom shop" guns based on the CZ format -- have had several, and I'd be tempted by this one, even at its somewhat "premium" price -- if I had a chance to examine and dry-fire the gun before buying. $600 may be a reasonable price, but hands-on would help me decide whether I wanted to go higher. (A CZ from the CZ custom shop, tweaked to be similarly finished and configured, would be quite a bit higher.)

(I have a AT-84s that was supposedly built by Jim Boland, and it's simply superb.)