The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 30, 2009, 04:56 AM   #1
buymore

Good luck...Ohio hunters!

Everyone good luck and be safe....we're getting WET!!!!! Later
Old November 30, 2009, 05:43 AM   #2
shortwave

Yea! So much for the rain that was supposed to be outta here by 0100 according to ch.4 news at 2300 last night. Must be nice to make the money these weathermen make and can`t predict a nose bleed in a heavy weight fight. Goodluck back at ya and to all BE CAREFUL!
Old November 30, 2009, 06:24 PM   #3
buymore

stopped raining at around 6:35 in my area! Nice day rest of the day, got pretty cold around 8:30 am though. Didn't matter......we saw absolutely nothing ALL DAY! where are all these deer the ODNR says there are? Liars!
Old November 30, 2009, 06:51 PM   #4
shortwave

Rain stopped here about 0700. Passed on two does. Saw a real nice buck out about 60 yds. He was following one of the does. He followed doe in, off to the side and never did present a shot. Watched him make a rub through a bunch of sassafras trees. He then quartered and went over a ridge. I climbed/crawled to top of ridge and saw him out about 80 yds. running wide open to my left. Looked over and here comes neighbor and his son. They had gut shot a spike buck and had been trailing it. All this before 0830. The rest of the morning was spent trailing this buck which was a waste of time cause buck was moving just ahead of us. Tried to convince neighbor to stop and let buck bed down but he wouldn`t hear of it. At noon and the next farm over I left them to their quarry.
Old November 30, 2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Willie Lowman

Shot a buck @ 10:05am. Spine shot from about 60 yards.

Shot a doe @ 5:10pm. Both lungs from about 80 yards.

Saw four others through the day that I couldn't get a shot on.

Uncle shot a doe this morning as well. I am gonna take a day off tomorrow and do some butchering.
Old November 30, 2009, 09:34 PM   #6
markallen

A doe passed within twenty yards of me this morning. Only problem, my pistol was on my stool, and I was a couple of yards away......." using the facilities".
I would like to know how deer seem to have perfect timing?
But fifteen minutes later I played tree tag with a six point buck. I got off a couple shots, and ......he won.

Oh well there is still season left.
Old December 1, 2009, 03:34 PM   #7
jal5

I got a good sized doe yesterday at 730am, same one that we had seen all bow season with two yearlings with her. First deer taken with my single shot 20 ga. by NEF/H&R, but won't be the last! Going out again over the weekend, this time with my pistol, maybe I will get two this year.

good luck and safe hunting to everyone.
Old December 1, 2009, 03:46 PM   #8
rickyjames

how many deer per hunter are allowed in ohi? down in az ur allowed one per tag, that is if you can draw a tag.....and find a deer.
Old December 1, 2009, 06:55 PM   #9
Beentown71

All I have done is chase off trespassers for the last two days I hate the Orange Army. Maybe OH should lengthen the gun season just so that so many won't be in the woods at the same time.

This deer (see pic below) was working my way when another....err...umm...hunter came along and tried to put a blind under my southerly wind stand 50 yards away. He got an ear full and sent him on his way. "I thought this was billy bobs land" etc... We only have two sheriffs working at a time in this county and the ODNR rarely shows.

Here is the one that got away. He was only 75 yards from me and coming into the winter wheat field.

Hopefully he lays up behind our pond and makes it through.

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old December 1, 2009, 07:02 PM   #10
jal5

ricky-

you get one buck regardless of method taken and multiple does, but each deer has its own tag. $24 for deer of either sex tag, $15 per extra doe tag, I think up to 6 max. tags allowed.

Beentown-

hope you see that buck again later. I agree we should get two full weeks. I won't hunt public land because of all the idiots...too bad you had to deal with them on your own property.
Old December 2, 2009, 05:04 AM   #11
shortwave

Quote:
Maybe Oh should lengthen the gun season ....
Beentown, I too spent 2nd half opening day and all 2nd day running off trespassers. Its an on-going problem which caused me to post my land heavily. Something I didn`t want to do and found out it doesn`t matter anyway. These slob hunters just don`t care cause they know nothing will happen to them. Had one guy walk onto me passing sign no more than 3ft. He walked across 30 acres of neighbors heavily posted prop. to get to mine. Ohio`s got some tough trespassing laws(wish ODNR would increase them even more though). Understanding the lack of ODNR officers per county in Ohio and the fact these few officers can`t be everywhere at one time, these laws are simply not worth a dime if nobody respond`s to your calls. Also I`ve heard the excuse 'that with todays economy, ODNR doesn`t have the resource`s/manpower to do anymore:barf:. Don`t buy it cause got the same amount of response 10 yrs ago as you do now. Where`s all the money going from the hike in license`s? Thats a nice buck beentown, hope you get him. Sorry for the rant buymore.

Last edited by shortwave; December 2, 2009 at 05:14 AM.
Old December 2, 2009, 05:18 AM   #12
shortwave

Sorry,double post. Its early
Old December 2, 2009, 06:46 AM   #13
bclark1

I'm still hoping to get out. Took an okay 8-pointer up in WI a week ago, but I had some prime real estate picked out in public land here, tons of active sign and very little human traffic. If the bruiser is still up there, though, I'm sure he's deep in swamp grass way over his antlers now though. Still hoping to get out tomorrow and Sunday maybe...
Old December 6, 2009, 06:55 AM   #14
shortwave

Last day (12-6-09) of our week long shotgun season. Somebody turned the furnace off as I`ve got one thermometer reading 10 degs. and another reading 11degs. So much for global warming. Dress warm guys and be safe.
Old December 6, 2009, 12:32 PM   #15
Willie Lowman

Good luck to all of ya. Butchered three deer yesterday. I am gonna go clean some meat now.

I recovered a Remington Slugger from a buck yesterday. Anybody else recover any slugs?
Old December 6, 2009, 05:47 PM   #16
shortwave

Quote:
I recovered a Remington Slugger from a buck yesterday
Willie, couldn`t even find Rem. 12ga. Sluggers in any local store for sale. Everyone was sold out. After shooting a doe with the bp I decided to try my luck with my 1100 Rem. For twenty years, this shotguns been deadly accurate out to 100yds. Well, it cloverleafed at 75yds but about 14" left of P.O.A.

Went to ammo box where I was sure I had about 10, 5rd boxes and had one box with 3 shells.

Called every store within a 30mi. radius but got the same story. Got Winchester`s but no Remington Slugger`s. Ended up borrowing some from brother, got zero'ed and killed doe the next day.

Spent last day with 44 mag. to no avail. Will try to bag one with pistol in a couple wks.