The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 5, 2009, 12:27 AM   #26
Onward Allusion

1851 Navy in .44???

If was a .36 cal with a steel frame, I would have suggested a .38 Special conversion cylinder. However, I don't think one exists for a 1851 in .44 to convert to .45 LC.

Your best bet would be to get a BP starter kit.

Quote:
JenniPooh
I bet you guys eat this up

I bought my husband what I thought was a regular antique replica pistol. It's not. It's a 1851 Cofederate Navy .44 Caliber Revolver replica thats made by F.LLI PIETTA. I had no idea that it doesn't use bullets. The b@$t@rd that sold it to me informed me today they don't make bullets for it when I tried to buy a box. It's a blackpowder muzzle loading pistol, instead of bullets I know have to buy a whole list of stuff that'll probly cost as much as the gun. It just so happens the store will not take returns on firearms that aren't broken. It's hard to believe they didn't screw me over because I'm a woman and don't know crap about guns. I need to know what to get to make the gun perform as good as a regular pistol. That is if my husband can even load it, which I doubt. Somebody please help me make this $200.00(and growing) mistake shoot before Christmas!!!!!
Old December 5, 2009, 01:09 PM   #27
jcowan

That is a great gift. Go to Cabelas.com and order the small presentation case, it is $30 and get a brass powder flask for 44 caliber, put it all in the presentation case and you will be all set. Let him get caps, powder etc. if he is interested in shooting it. I would love to get that for Christmas. ( I am getting an 1860 Army and the presentation case ) Like your husband, I have a great wife too but she was afraid to pick which one to get so I gave her a little help. Be careful with this I have been shooting for 30 years, bought my first blackpowder pistol last February, now I have 6 of them and enjoy shooting blackpowder much more than cartridge. Blackpowder is a very contagious disease.
Old December 5, 2009, 08:38 PM   #28
Wobble

My guess is that your husband probably won't like the black powder pistol if you thought he wanted a historic replica cartridge pistol. Therefore, I suggest you take it to a local gun store and ask them to sell it for you on consignment.

Then, assuming you still want a historic replica, go for an 1875 Remington Outlaw .45LC (Long Colt), an 1872 Colt Open Top, a Colt Richards-Mason Conversion, or a classic 1873 Cattleman (a 1873 Colt "sixshooter" replica). Uberti of Italy makes versions of all of these and are sold by dealers such as Dixie Gun Works, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, Midway USA and others.

If you buy online, you'll have to find a local gun store to receive your order. There is a modest charge for this service, which, by law, you must use.
Old December 6, 2009, 10:44 AM   #29
4V50 Gary
Staff

What Raider2000 recommended.

Except you don't really need wads. Your husband can use a .32 ACP or .380 ACP cartridge case glued to a stick and used as a dipper to fill the cylinder with farina, cream of wheat, or cornmeal instead of wads. It's cheaper that way.
Old December 6, 2009, 11:17 AM   #30
Rangefinder

Quote:
My guess is that your husband probably won't like the black powder pistol if you thought he wanted a historic replica cartridge pistol.
I respectfully disagree. Although a BP pistol is a little more maintenance (longer to load, requires cleaning after shooting without exception, etc), it is very addictive. Maybe it's just me, but the more old-school I get, the more fun I tend to have with it. Keep it. Get the necessary items to get out and fire it, and I'll bet he falls in love with the whole era. If not, you can always consign it later for a 45LC or something. But have him TRY it first. You might be surprised.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old December 6, 2009, 09:27 PM   #31
noelf2

I also think you should keep it. He probably didn't want a cartridge replica for self defense anyway. He wanted something fun and nostalgic. The first time he draws that Pietta, he'll fall in love in love with it.
Old December 7, 2009, 11:07 AM   #32
ClemBert

Quote:
jcowan: That is a great gift. Go to Cabelas.com and order the small presentation case, it is $30 and get a brass powder flask for 44 caliber, put it all in the presentation case and you will be all set. Let him get caps, powder etc. if he is interested in shooting it.
That is great advice. The presentation case sure will make it look special and a brass powder flash is a nice accent piece to put in there.

After your hubby signs up to this forum and get his questions answered he'll feel confident when he goes out and buys the power, bullets, and percussion caps.
Old December 7, 2009, 11:49 AM   #33
grymster2007

Our distressed damsel will appreciate all this advice.... if she ever returns!
Old December 7, 2009, 12:37 PM   #34
tpelle

I'm betting she was looking for commiseration over being taken advantage of by an unethical gunshop owner. She didn't expect all the positive comments about cap and ball revolvers!
Old December 8, 2009, 11:01 AM   #35
Jbar4Ranch

<--- 18 C&B revolvers - Montana Cowboy Action Shooting Frontiersman category state champion three years running. Fun to shoot, easy to maintain, and more economical to shoot than most cartridge revolvers. I get black powder for about $12/pound in 25 pound lots and cast my own balls. Fer crissake, stay away from Pyrodex, it's corrosive as all hell. My only problem with the '51 Navy in .44 is no such revolver ever existed until modern times.

SASS 47015
Old December 8, 2009, 11:22 AM   #36
koolminx

Hahahaha, you guy's are sponges

I wonder if she's ever going to come back... LMAO I seriously doubt it...
Old December 8, 2009, 05:14 PM   #37
Springfield Kid

No kiddin the Lady says she got screwed over by the sales guy because shes a woman and she wanted a cartridge fireing gun for hubby .
Now some are trying to make her life even harder to deal with with tales of what fun he and she will have with this cap & ball gun that will make her run and puke when they enjoy cleaning it . :barf:

Someone even mentioned she should buy a conversion cylinder for it . AND ITS A BRASS FRAME CONFEDERATE NAVY
Old December 10, 2009, 09:34 PM   #38
koolminx

You guy's don't get it do you?

She is not real and this never happened.... Can you spell Troll? That's what I think.
Old December 10, 2009, 09:43 PM   #39
arcticap

Quote:
You guy's don't get it do you?

She is not real and this never happened.... Can you spell Troll? That's what I think.
Her email address doesn't seem to be made up since it's from an ISP and her name is part of it.
I don't doubt that the other name that's part of it is her husband Jamie.
Maybe after X-mas you'd like to email her husband and ask him how much he liked his present?
Old December 12, 2009, 12:56 AM   #40
poetgrey

Location: Born in Sandiego, rasised in Sacramento but spent most of my life in the Southwest, Arizona, New Mexico
Husband a gun nut?

I have trouble with this one when you mentioned your husband probably wouldn't know how to load it even if it took uh, bullets. Both blackpowder and cartridge guns use bullets. The difference being the latter uses an assembled package as opposed to installing the individual components, powder, ball , and cap. Is there any experience with firearms in the house? If not, it might be wise to do some investigating. Some ranges offer classes, rentals and the internet and forums yet another choice. If my wife got me a blackpowder pistol I would thank her for adding to my collection but I can't imagine her giving me something I know nothing about. So....

Yeah, you can get a conversion cylinder that requires knowledge of assembly/disassembly (not much, so as not to discourage) so the gun will shoot cartridges (uh, bullets) but ONLY STEEL FRAME REVOLVERS or learn the loading process (again, not complicated) and yeah, you're gonna need some stuff after deciding what method to use and if you don't use wads (look it up) then check for grease loss after two or three shots so you don't trigger a chain fire. Simple and not very expensive.....and I'm a sucker for responding as well. I apologize for the people who had to read this.
Old December 12, 2009, 10:11 AM   #41
madcratebuilder

Maybe this thread should just die.
Old December 12, 2009, 11:48 AM   #42
Fingers McGee

I second the motion

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 12, 2009, 06:57 PM   #43
poetgrey

Location: Born in Sandiego, rasised in Sacramento but spent most of my life in the Southwest, Arizona, New Mexico
third....couldn't resist
Old December 12, 2009, 11:25 PM   #44
6kilo

Just give him the revolver, if he loves you he will love the gun and then he can explore the great fun of shooting it. It will be a fun trip down the learning path to getting it up and shooting. These can be a whole lot of fun to own and shoot. It may not be what you wanted, but it's still a great gift. My wife gave me one years ago and it took me a little while to get all the needed stuff to make it shoot but it was a wonderful gun and a world of fun, still have the gun, just don't shoot it much any more. Keep the gun, find another sporting goods store to shop at from now on. Good luck.
Old January 3, 2010, 06:50 PM   #45
Lost Sheep

Please come back, and bring your husband.

Jennipooh,

Store policy? Contact the owner. Policies are, by definition, flexible, therefore meant to be adjusted when needed, and this appears to be a classic case of that.

Whatever happens, short of a refund and an apology, I would suggest contacting the Better Business Bureau and local Chamber of Commerce and lodging a complaint.

The original post did suggest (reading between the lines) that her spouse hasn't a deep history with firearms, so a Cap and Ball revolver might not be the best choice as a gift.

Sorry I did not see this thread before Christmas. I was looking for another thread when I found this one and am incensed enough that I had to post.

Lastly, and as a last resort, the gun, unfired, new in box is still salable at not too much of a loss.

Lost Sheep

P.S. The CO2 unloader is not the only way to unload the gun without firing it. You can screw a lag bolt into the (soft) lead ball and pull it out. That's how they did it before bottled air.

Black powder is not so corrosive as hydrophilic. Of course, once the water combines with the sulphur, you get sulphuric acid, which does the metal no good at all.

Modern black powder substitutes (pyrodex, et al) are a lot less problematic than the original.

Some people run their (lightly pre-cleaned) gun parts through the dishwasher (not using regular dishwasher soap, however-there is something chemically inadvisable about that). If the dishwasher does not leave them warm enough to air-dry, you can put them in an oven at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for a while. If you have hard water in your area, be sure to rinse in distilled water. You don't want calcium built up on bearing surfaces.
Old January 9, 2010, 01:48 PM   #46
Gatofeo

Anyone hear again from JennyPooh?

I keep watching the runner at the bottom of CNN for, "Italian pistol maker consults with surgeons on removal of black powder pistol from salesman's lower tract" but haven't seen such a thing.

Wonder what the resolution was?
Old January 9, 2010, 03:15 PM   #47
Fingers McGee

I'd say Jennipooh was a troll. I sent an email & never received a reply
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 14, 2010, 03:31 PM   #48
Rachen

ClemBurt I was going to say the same thing: Ask her husband to join TFL and THR. It is good to have new members to the community.

I would not call her a troll, though, because she might not have Internet at home and the only internet access is a public library. I myself don't have a home computer, so I know how hard it is to keep regular posts.

On a side note, she said she purchased an 1851 Pietta for him? Beautiful gun, steel frame or brass frame.

Tags
.44 , 1851 navy , black powder pistol