The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 27, 2009, 07:08 PM   #1
Abominable Toaster

Writing a Report on the Conceal Carry Laws, please help?

Just so ya'll know I'm Pro Conceal Carry. Now, i need to know more about it, and need to have two pages wrote up by Monday. anybody got anything to help me out? i know my description is kinda blank but that's all i got right now. oh and I'm not really sure if this goes here, but i couldn't find any other place to put it. So... anyone?
Old March 27, 2009, 07:20 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

Ah, I moved it to a more appropriate place. Waited for the last minute, heh?

You have two paths - one is to use internet sources like guncite.com or original scholarly sources.

Look for Kleck, Lott (pro) Wintemute and Cook (concealed carry stinks).

Don't plagarize - so easy with online sources. Does your prof want a researched piece with empirical evidence or will just various opinion rants be enough?

Give me an acknowledgement as a consultant. Or you can get a guy in Nigeria to write it.
Old March 27, 2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Pro gun website with a .pdf with some great gun control facts.

http://www.gunfacts.info/

Good luck.
Old March 28, 2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Abominable Toaster

Quote:
Ah, I moved it to a more appropriate place. Waited for the last minute, heh?

You have two paths - one is to use internet sources like guncite.com or original scholarly sources.

Look for Kleck, Lott (pro) Wintemute and Cook (concealed carry stinks).

Don't plagarize - so easy with online sources. Does your prof want a researched piece with empirical evidence or will just various opinion rants be enough?

Give me an acknowledgement as a consultant. Or you can get a guy in Nigeria to write it.
A guy in Nigeria? i wouldn't mind. and plagiarizing is not my game at all. Empirical evidence would be nice, and the due date might have been moved, i talked with my teacher in the store today, says Wednesday is more convenient for him. But I'll also keep looking on my own thanks for the search tips!
Old March 28, 2009, 04:51 PM   #5
sclay

Importance of Conceal Carry

The importance of conceal carry can be summed up in one sentence.

"When your life is on the line it doesn't matter what you have at home."

sclay
Old March 28, 2009, 05:33 PM   #6
Cerick

cite statistics from sources that are as unbiased. Try to use stats from the UCR (fbi crime reports) as well as other credible sources. There arent many things that would make one look worse than citing stats from completely biased sources that arent backed by facts. Use stats like crime rates before and after shall issue laws were passed in states like FL or TX. Although it can be used to argue either for or against CCW, use the percentage of people whose licences were revoked as a percentage of all CCW holders of that state. It is very small for the large number of people that hold CCW permits.
Old March 29, 2009, 02:46 AM   #7
Baba Louie

Write with an Eye to Educate, Inform or Sway

AT, By way of "History of CCW" (should you decide to add something along those lines) look up Marion Hammer + Florida shall issue. She was and is, a very interesting "civil rights" leader.

An 'Aside' on the above. IIRC Ms. Hammer's efforts back in the 80's/90's coupled w/ Floridas then crime turmoil, w/ tourists getting bushwacked regularly, 'gunshine state', v. "blood will flow in the streets" media reporting, a noted drop in (some) criminal activity soon thereafter soon made FL the place to study by way of other states following "Shall Issue" laws based on their success (or eagerly anticipated failure by the aforementioned several gun control and media groups).

In the "Other Things I Find Interesting About CCW" Department of points I ponder:

The issue of "Licensing" a right and "Registering" to exercise that right comparisons (compared to voting or hunting) and/or that issue in light of "Reasonable" Federal/Local regulation as Scalia recently put it... v. Vermont and Alaska's total CCW/RKBA freedom.

Certain media decisions to "Publish" lists of CCW vitae with the ensuing turmoil...

The similarities and inequities between various state, county, city laws/req'ts and treatment, "Shall Issue" meaning different things to different officials granting said license w/ different $ values (Taxes and Training).

The compare/contrast of CA, FL, IL and NY for "shall issue/may issue/no issue" history, values/reasoning, on going political evolution.

Reciprocity issues AKA collecting Out Of State Licenses, compare and contrasted to State issued Drivers License (Right v. Privilege path here?)

Do CCW "Registered Good Guys" constitute a "State Militia - Unorganized" of sorts?

When a "State Licensed" good guy goes bad, (the when where why how, what factors at play), when he does good, when he goes unarmed while licensed only to fall victim to criminal lethal force (sad that).

New Sheriff in Town changing old policy.

One could write opinionated editorials on any of those points, throwing in some numbers, sources, facts&tracts and with some serious effort come up with 2 pages in 36 hours... maybe. Depending on other work load of course.

Good Luck w/ your paper.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old March 29, 2009, 07:48 PM   #8
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
I think this is the most concise argument to carry a gun I have ever seen.

Quote:

sclay
Kudos to you sir.

Last edited by cold dead hands; March 29, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old March 29, 2009, 08:25 PM   #9
protectedbyglock

My only advice is to narrow the topic down. You're only writing two pages, so you should only have a couple sources anyway (I would think).
Some profs hate it when you only use internet sources/references, so try to throw a print source in if you can.

Remember, it's only 2 pages. You should be able to crank that out in no time.
I'd probably write a quick report on crime rates in "shall issue" states vs. "constitution hating/delusional" states. I might not use the latter term specifically, though....

I think it's a good idea that you picked a topic you like. Makes it easier. Just have to watch it doesn't suck you in and take forever to get done. I've done that before....

Also, if you have access to a big electronic journal database through your school, I'd take advantage of it. I know Penn State and Shippensburg both had good ones, and I used the hell out of them.

Good luck and have fun with it!
Old March 29, 2009, 08:29 PM   #10
Chris_B

Chew on this a minute-

I have a Class A high capacity license to carry handguns

I live in Boston MA.

Now, this is not the most impossible thing to get in creation, but they make it hard in Boston. Hardest in MA, or else I never heard of a harder place to get one

Where I live in MA is within earshot of gunshot from Egleston Square. Those from the area know what I mean, we'll leave it at that. Couple murders down by that way last year by shooting, another couple by stabbing if you want background.

Now, my class A has a restriction. No Concealed Carry. Boston "won't issue" them without that restriction. Even though I'm clean as a whistle, damn near scored perfect on my tests, blah blah blah. Yeah, I'm gonna contact a lawyer and check out my possibilities here.

Here's the "gosh that's funny" part- somebody with an concealed permit from anywhere else in MA can drive into Boston, and do their lawful thing with their CCW.

Me, the guy that walks around here to go to the market or might take a walk to a friend's house? Or who might be getting in or out of his car late at night around here, or might be at a redlight around here at midnight? I can't carry even though I'm more at risk. Gun must be locked and in the trunk, preferably in a case with a lock, and unloaded

Wrap your mind around THAT for a minute boys and girls. Oh yeah, good times

Last edited by Chris_B; March 29, 2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old March 29, 2009, 10:08 PM   #11
Bud Helms

sclay:
Quote:

sclay
Absolutely correct. And there are many ways to say the same thing.

I carry because, having agreed to take on the responsibility of my own and my family's personal safety, I don't know when or where that need will arise. I can't be every where at once, but I can create a goblin-free bubble around me.

Just remember, one valid tactic is avoidance.
Old March 31, 2009, 02:21 AM   #12
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
Quote:
Just remember, one valid tactic is avoidance.
I would love to avoid leaving my job after 0dark30...alone, with no hope of a good citizen to even hear my screams for help. No, I will not pay insane cell phone fees to 'maybe' call 911. Gunshots bring cops as fast as a neon FREE DOUGHNUTS sign.

I am forbidden to carry at work. It would cost me my job (I have no legal ramifications) and life would lots harder if I was fired for breaking company policy...I carry anyway.

Now, how much harder would life be for my young children if I allowed myself to be killed, but left my gun at home for fear of losing my job?

My ten year son put it like this..."It is better to be fired from your job than from your life."

This kid is smart. He will be persecuted as an adult.
Old March 31, 2009, 07:19 AM   #13
Bud Helms

Avoidance implies a choice. We don't all have an easy list of options. You deal with it as it comes to you, just as you're doing.
Old April 1, 2009, 04:04 PM   #14
Don P

Ah yes waiting to the last minute
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 1, 2009, 06:21 PM   #15
sclay

Mr. Toaster,
How did you do on your report?
If you can post it I would like to read it.
sclay
Old April 1, 2009, 06:34 PM   #16
IDAHO83501

Rev. Jackson and Martin L. King didn't seem to mind plagarizing, in fact it helped them become famous........(don't do it kid, you would not want to lower yourself to that level)
Old April 1, 2009, 11:00 PM   #17
Abominable Toaster

Paragraph 3 Alex Robertson
English 4/1/2009

When your life is in peril, it doesn’t matter what you have at home, that is why I choose to write about conceal carry laws. In these harsh times, one might ask them selves, am I safe? Can I protect my family should something happen? Some people may not be able to apply for it, but for those who can, do so. Its part of your second amendment, the right to bear arms. However, your government would like to stop this from happening, they would like to get rid of the right to bear arms, the right to a regulated militia, and your right as an American. The wolf is still knocking on our door, though we my not realize it, it is a real threat to the United States.
Crime rates are sure to spike dramatically, however in areas where conceal carry permit registration percentages increased, crime decreased. This suggests that if we as Americans exercise our second amendment, and our right to defend ourselves, we the people can decrease violence in our country at no cost to the government. Yet again our government would like to put restrictions upon this. At this time I would like to point out that this is a clear violation of our rights as citizens of our nation. I quote our second amendment. “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”

Our forefathers would be appalled I think, at what our government has done to itself. I would also think that they would act strongly against any form of gun control, (though some registration, and such are needed). They would want us to be able to defend ourselves, should the need arise. Tough times such as these the need to defend our selves rises each day. Though not all my pass the requirements for a conceal carry permit, you should still try to support your rights as an American, buy a rifle instead (and always be safe with them). In conclusion, I’d like to say that in tough times like these are you prepared for the wolf knocking at your door, and will you be able to defend yourself, or ones you hold dear?

This is my "finished" report... i'm not sure if its any good..

Last edited by Abominable Toaster; April 1, 2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old April 2, 2009, 06:48 PM   #18
sclay

Not Bad. What kind of grade did the teacher give you?

Hopefully he/she will apply for a permit themself.

Thanks for posting.
sclay
Old April 2, 2009, 08:03 PM   #19
protectedbyglock

Yeah, not bad.
Hopefully your teacher will like it and, like sclay said, think about getting a permit his/herself.
Never hurts to spread the word about the need to defend yourself and your family, as long as you do so sensibly enough to keep people from shutting down and not hearing you out. I think you did that well enough.
Old April 3, 2009, 11:37 AM   #20
Chris_B

As a practical note, our Forefathers distrusted large government and wanted its power controlled. I don't think they would "appalled at what the government has done to itself", rather, they would be shocked that the government was allowed to take this much power.

I also think that "would act strongly against any form of gun control, (though some registration, and such are needed). " Might need revision

In their eyes, the problems and issues of gun control would not even exist, as it would be completely abhorrent to their values and convictions. Remember too, that you're attributing a guess to what they might feel ( "(though some registration, and such are needed)" ). That part in parenthesis also seems to soften your point very much.

Perhaps something more long the lines of:

"they would be driven to act strongly against gun control because at its root, as they would almost certainly feel that it makes laws which empower government while utterly failing to curtail crime. The idea that criminals by definition ignore laws regardless of any additional laws to the contrary would not be lost on our Founding Fathers, who would likely also feel this as a means to restrict the rights of the law-abiding populace instead of hampering the criminals such an idea purports to be about"
Old April 6, 2009, 05:46 PM   #21
Abominable Toaster

I got a wonderful B that's it, i had a few mistakes but it was rushed.