The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 13, 2014, 04:34 PM   #1
mxsailor803

Marlin 336 caliber change?

I've got a 80's era 336 30-30 and have always wanted one in 44mag. I've seen for sale before but people are wanting stupid money for one. Is it even possible to get a barrel and bolt from Numrich or someone else, and convert to .44mag? I'd rather use my current rifle as I got it for some work I did and don't mind putting a some money into it, just not new rifle money.
Old August 13, 2014, 05:54 PM   #2
45_auto

I believe that the carrier assembly is also unique to the 44 mag due to the shorter cartridge.

I've got one I haven't shot in 20 years or so, I'll try to get it out and compare it to a .30-30.

Probably pretty hard to find parts for one, they only made them a couple of years. Lots of excess lever stroke and bolt travel (same as the .30-30) given the shorter length of the 44 mag cartridge. If you could even find the parts they would most likely cost you about as much as a complete gun.

Good luck!
Old August 13, 2014, 06:08 PM   #3
jmr40

I think you'll come out cheaper paying the "stupid money" for a 44 rather than trying to convert a 336 to 44 mag. Some of the early Marlin 44 mags were built on the 336 action. They had lots of issues and the 44 was quickly changed to the 1894 Marlin action which is designed for pistol rounds.
Old August 13, 2014, 08:18 PM   #4
Scorch

The 44 Mag is generally chambered in the 1894, the shorter pistol caliber lever action rifle. I have never seen a 336 in 44 Mag.
Old August 14, 2014, 07:48 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Check the parts #.

The bolts are different, but I'm certain the carrier must be changed. I don't know if a new extractor must be made.
Old August 14, 2014, 08:52 AM   #6
eastbank

they made them, as i owned one. after i got the right c.o.l. it worked pretty well. eastbank.
Old August 14, 2014, 12:34 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Parts you'll need: barrel and carrier.
Parts that may need modification or replacement: extractor, ejector, bolt, and magazine follower.

By the time you're done getting it converted, if you can even find the parts, you'll be into it for about $200. And since the 336 never gets along well with .44 Mag, it will still need the action to be tuned. It's unlikely to run, at all, as-assembled from random parts on an action previously built as a .30-30.
It can be done with minimal tools, if the donor parts don't require having metal added, but the average gun owner is going to require the skills of a 'smith for the job. That'll run another $100-500, perhaps more (depending on what's required and who does the work).

No matter what... It will always be a .44 Mag 336. ...and that's not a good thing. The 336 just doesn't get along with .44 Mag and, aside from potential issues for you to deal with, that's something you'll be up against if you ever try to sell the rifle after the conversion.

If it were me, I'd get what I could out of the 336 and put the cash toward the real thing.
Old August 14, 2014, 07:00 PM   #8
45_auto

Quote:
No matter what... It will always be a .44 Mag 336. ...and that's not a good thing. The 336 just doesn't get along with .44 Mag and, aside from potential issues for you to deal with, that's something you'll be up against if you ever try to sell the rifle after the conversion.
I wouldn't be surprised if it sold quicker and for more bucks than a standard .30-30, even as a conversion.

The original 336's in 44 mag are pretty much collectors items now, I can't count how many people have tried to buy mine.

One just sold for $800 a few weeks ago on Gunbroker;

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=415696118

Crappy insurance file photo of mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 336 44 mag1.jpg (237.8 KB, 24 views)
Old August 15, 2014, 09:27 AM   #9
natman

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it sold quicker and for more bucks than a standard .30-30, even as a conversion.

The original 336's in 44 mag are pretty much collectors items now, I can't count how many people have tried to buy mine.
The reason people pay top dollar for original 44 mag 336s is that they are rare.

The reason original 44 Mag 336s are rare is that they didn't work very well so they didn't sell as shooters.

Converting a 30-30 336 to 44 mag would result in a rifle that wouldn't appeal to collectors because it wasn't original and wouldn't appeal to shooters because it wouldn't work.

Sounds like a waste of time, money and a good 30-30 to me.
Old August 15, 2014, 07:22 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have never understood the appeal of the .44 Magnum in a rifle. In a revolver, it is a pretty hot cartridge, and quite impressive. But by just about any measure, it is a pretty mediocre short-range rifle cartridge, outclassed by the .30-30 and about any real rifle cartridge. Its only advantage(?) would be if one carried a .44 Magnum revolver and wanted common ammunition. That might have been an advantage miles from nowhere on the frontier, but the need for the modern hunter seems less obvious.

Jim
Old August 15, 2014, 07:29 PM   #11
CowTowner

Quote:
Its only advantage(?) would be if one carried a .44 Magnum revolver and wanted common ammunition.
That's the reason I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Rem Mag and a Marlin 1894 chambered the same. I can carry either one in the field and not worry about the ammo being wrong.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 16, 2014, 12:57 PM   #12
natman

Quote:
I have never understood the appeal of the .44 Magnum in a rifle.
A Marlin 1894 is a much smaller, lighter and handier rifle than a 336. If your shooting is confined to under 100 yards it's a very appealing package.

What I've never understood is why Marlin bothered to chamber the 336 in 44 Mag.
Old August 17, 2014, 12:15 AM   #13
Blindstitch

Or he could be trying to find/make a rifle for hunting deer in Ohio. They have to use pistol cartridge rifles 357 or larger with a case length requirement.

Maybe it was Indiana with the case length requirement but both states only allow pistol cartridges or straight wall cartridges.
Old August 17, 2014, 07:14 PM   #14
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see how it could work correctly with just a carrier change, being the 336 has a longer bolt and lever throw, or should, as compared to one set up for pistol cartridges. Did they do something to limit the bolt and lever throw? Because if not, there would be a big amount of room between the rim of the cartridge to the face of the bolt, with the bolt all the way back, even with a shoulder on the carrier to stop the cartridge. It would look to me that there would have to be a good number of changes between the two. The other thing is, that as that bolt and lever moves, this causes other functions at certain points during the throw, or it's timing. I admit, I've never had the opportunity to compare the two. But, the cartridge case length between the two has a difference of about 3/4", not counting a difference in bullet length. I would say it is close to 7/8" difference in total length without looking it up.