The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 23, 2012, 12:52 AM   #26
Water-Man

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

It's my nightstand gun. My 1911 has been downgraded to second place since I bought it about five years ago.
Old December 23, 2012, 08:01 AM   #27
Tactical Jackalope

Sal, those are beautiful. have you seen the platinum elite? That thing looks like a serious toy lol. Love it.

Water man, mine is going in the same direction. The 1911 is already downgraded to second. While I love my 1911. For carry and even nightstand. I don't see a reason to change the P220 setup
Old December 23, 2012, 03:15 PM   #28
Rinspeed

Great looking 220, looks close in age to mine. Does it have the date codes and proof marks.
Old December 23, 2012, 06:35 PM   #29
rjksx1

thinking of ccw for my German p220 which i shoot as well as my ppq. i'd be giving up ammo count? what ya think?
Old December 23, 2012, 07:40 PM   #30
dgludwig

Quote:
thinking of ccw for my German p220
Can't speak for the "German" iteration (as if it makes one iota of difference), but an American-made Model 220 Carry is concealed comfortably on my person in an iwb holster and carried regularly. Try it and I'm sure you'll find that single-stack Model 220 pistol easy to hide and comfortable to tote (with the right holster/belt set-up).
Old December 23, 2012, 08:29 PM   #31
rjksx1

i only mentioned German because these are pre "carry" model; my question is more of a capacity concern.
Old December 24, 2012, 01:21 PM   #32
Chainsawjames

I love my 220 Carry. 2000 plus rounds without any problems. The only ammo mine doesn't like is the inexpensive federal 230 g FMJ. Once in a while it wont fully chamber that ammo on the first try, but that's it.
Old December 27, 2012, 08:51 AM   #33
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Great looking 220, looks close in age to mine. Does it have the date codes and proof marks.
It doesn't have the proof marks. I want to call about the serial number soon.

Quote:
thinking of ccw for my German p220 which i shoot as well as my ppq. i'd be giving up ammo count? what ya think?
That's funny. I'm going shooting today. In about an hour actually. With one of my greatest friends. I gave him the PPQ a few weeks back and he's going with me. Today I'll be shooting my P220.

Isn't that a coincidence? lol

Well "giving up" ammo count solely depends on you. How well do you shoot the P220?

Quote:
I love my 220 Carry. 2000 plus rounds without any problems. The only ammo mine doesn't like is the inexpensive federal 230 g FMJ. Once in a while it wont fully chamber that ammo on the first try, but that's it.
Nice! So it isn't 2,000 rounds per-say : ( at least to me it wouldn't be. If it's finicky with federal fmj's that'd sadden me. I like my guns, especially my carry guns to function with any load I can find for it, when I can find it.

Then again, you did say once in a while it does that. So I can live with clearing a jam here and there. Although I'd prefer a wizards gun where it doesn't know how to malfunction. lol

WELL....I'm going to the range today.

Unfortunately I only have one magazine and 200 rounds. I relatively burn rounds rather quickly when I shoot, so this should slow me down tremendously. And it's a promag -_________- hope it works and doesn't send me home. Not going to take one of the 1911's with me because seeing as this is my carry gun I want to shoot all the ammo I just bought for it, through it. You know .45 ain't cheap.

Gotta start reloading.

Magazines are out of stock everywhere online. Gotta check locally.

Range report soon enough!
Old December 27, 2012, 10:16 AM   #34
Rinspeed

Quote:
It doesn't have the proof marks. I want to call about the serial number soon.

Post the serial number and I probably could come close with a manufacture date. If you had the original grips they would have a date stamp in them. Your 220 was made in Exeter if it doesn't have the proof marks.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:31 PM   #35
Roland Thunder

E2 Grips

Quote:
Remember my friend the P220 is on the list of guns that can have the E2 Grip mod... I know I considered it for my own yesterday... Decided against it based on the money put into my crimson trace... Couldn't use the crimson trace after the mod...

E2 is seriously tempting and relatively inexpensive.. something like $100.
Just curious, where can you get the E2 grips or do you have to purchase the 220 with the E2 grips already on it? I have a 226 9mm with E2 grips but the grips were already on the gun when I bought it.

I happen to like the E2 grips. I don't have a 220 but if I were to get one, I would probably want the E2 grips.
Old December 27, 2012, 02:56 PM   #36
rjksx1

what are E2 grips?
Old December 27, 2012, 09:04 PM   #37
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Just curious, where can you get the E2 grips or do you have to purchase the 220 with the E2 grips already on it? I have a 226 9mm with E2 grips but the grips were already on the gun when I bought it.

I happen to like the E2 grips. I don't have a 220 but if I were to get one, I would probably want the E2 grips.
I'm not a fan of the e2 grips. Hence the change.

I think, and I may be wrong, but you can buy it without the e2 grips and to go to it, you just need to buy a decocker. I HEARD!

Me? I went from My SIG P226 e2 that came with the grips, and I just bought normal grips and they slapped right on. So I don't know if I really believe what I heard before I did that for myself. I actually swapped my e2's with my uncles old P226R and both guns were fine.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:14 PM   #38
Tactical Jackalope

By the way, based on my pictures...What kind of grips can I get for my SIG 220?! There's "European" and "American".

I don't like the Hogue grips on the P220
Old December 27, 2012, 09:51 PM   #39
WVsig

These.....

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/4950017503
Old December 27, 2012, 09:55 PM   #40
Tactical Jackalope

I just bought a pair. I'll post the link.

I've been waiting for you WVsig. Where have you been?

Do you know if mine is the European or American?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150814931277...84.m1497.l2649

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; December 27, 2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: link
Old December 27, 2012, 10:02 PM   #41
WVsig

Is there a date code and proof marks under the front muzzle of the gun. If they are there the gun was made in Germany.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/4950017503
Old December 27, 2012, 10:07 PM   #42
WVsig

I have always had good luck with the Act/Novak P220 mags for the range. Use factory only for carry.

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.ph...roducts_id=543
Old December 27, 2012, 10:07 PM   #43
Tactical Jackalope

Thanks WVsig. So mine is American.

Can you tell me more about it? Off the top of your head. Only if you are up to it of course. Is the slide forged? Or that sheet metal? Etc. I don't know much about the 220.

Also, the grips I bought then are good right? Since its American. Even though the slide says made in Germany. I heard something about that being untrue if it doesn't have the proof marks.
Old December 27, 2012, 10:22 PM   #44
WVsig

From what I can see it has the roll pins in the slide and I assume that the gun has an internal extractor. If it does even without the proof marks and the date code it is a folded carbon steel slide. The frame and the slide were made in Germany but the gun was assembled in the US. I am going to guess the gun was made sometime after 1996. These are very good guns. They are not as sought after as the German proof guns but they were made the old school way.

Newer Sigs with the milled stainless slide and internal extractors can have extraction issues. The tolerances are too tight. This is one of the reasons they went to an external extractors.

The grips you bought were originally made for the P220 Combat and should fit just fine.
Old December 27, 2012, 10:42 PM   #45
Tactical Jackalope

Thank you for that info I was curious. Not too happy about the slide being the folded steel. :/ Yes, it's cause I don't know much about it.

It shot like a champ today. Just had jams on the last round here and there which I predicted with it being a "promag".

Also, thanks for the link. I just bought one of the mags from them to try it out.

I also did a detailed strip on the P220 today. Seems like the person before me never did it. I'll post a pic of that from my phone in a second.

I can't wait till the new mag comes in along with those grips. Not the original rosewood ones I wanted, but way better than the hogue.

I had to shave down the inside of the hogue grip earlier. After that flawless cleaning from the detail strip...that spring/wire on the right side that's attached to the trigger bar, was brushing up against the grip and making a "thunk" noise. I shaved that inside down the best I could with a dremel using the sandpaper wheel. Now it's fine... Weird though, wasn't doing that before when I was function testing with snap caps.
Old December 27, 2012, 10:57 PM   #46
WVsig

Promags pretty much suck... that being said you can often rehab them into usable range mags. The bodies and followers are OK it is the springs that suck. Get Wolff springs and they will often run. I would not use them for anything but range work.

The folded carbon steel slide is sought after because it is no longer used and because it is lighter than the milled stainless. Guys who cut their teeth on the older P series guns prefer the balance of the older slides. These are the ones i prefer. The stainless feels top heavy to me.

When properly cared for they will last a lifetime. As to the trigger bar spring I would look at it again. Make sure it is installed properly and put the dremel down..... more guns have been ruined by those contraptions then helped IMHO.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:01 PM   #47
BGutzman

Promags worse than suck.... I will keep my fingers crossed for you. The 220 itself is a dream.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:04 PM   #48
Tactical Jackalope

LOL! I've only used that contraption for my grips. I know about Bubba and the good ol' dremel.

I agree, that thing is horrendous. Awesome range mag though. I agree.

So that ACT mag has worked well for you? It's good to go for duty? Perfect.

Yeah...it's a little lighter than my SIG P226 e2. Makes sense...I guess I'll warm up to it. I want it to last me forever really love that thing. It's on my hip right now.

haha! thanks B! +2 on the promag statement from your end also. I'm really looking forward to getting my stuff in already.

I feel like shooting the last box of .45 I have -____- I just went today.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:07 PM   #49
Tactical Jackalope

Detailed strip.

My lover

First 8 rounds going down range with my P220

Loved this thing.

I shot bullseye right after. This was for fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356667515.997870.jpg (75.9 KB, 17 views)
Old December 27, 2012, 11:17 PM   #50
WVsig

ACT mags are good. Some people have reported follower cracking but I have not had any issues with them. I have owned 4+ P220s and have shot about 3000+ rounds with Act mags without issue over the years.

I have enough factory mags that I run those for carry but if I had to I would trust Acts for self defense. YMMV