The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 1, 2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Code3GT

Glock 23 Barrel FUBAR'D (PICS)

So to start, this is NOT my gun, but had to snap some pics for y'all to see this...sorry the quality sucks, cell pics. And yes, I realize i'm bleeding, thanks to the mainspring on my 1911

STORY: I'm at the range today breaking in my 1911 and was next to a couple of "seasoned" guys who admittedly were inexperienced and hadn't shot in ~35yrs. So they asked me a few questions here and there, we reviewed range safety 101, and they admired my 1911 After a while one gentleman with a Glock 23 (.40 s&w) was asking me if I knew why his gun wouldnt chamber JHP at all. I told him to check his feed ramp/magazine/ammo/breach/etc. He rendered the deer in the headlights look as he slowly handed me his weapon. I stripped his weapon and had to manipulate the barrel out of the slide (didnt just fall out) I was baffled as to the cause, but could tell that well, something wasnt quite right Here's what I saw...Glock docs have at it!

"Paramedics postpone the inevitible"
Old August 1, 2008, 06:41 PM   #2
jhenry

Case head seperation. For whatever reason, bad reloads bought at a gun show, fired out of battery, bad mojo or whatever the head seperated from the case which has remained in the firearm. That gun is not only not going to feed hollowpoints, it ain't gonna feed anything at all. Therer are ways to get it out but given the inexperience of the gents involved I would say take it to the smith and have it removed, followed by a going over to insure nothing is real bad out of kilter.
Old August 2, 2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Scorch

Looks like an atypical case head separation, the rim and head ripped off under extraction. Fairly easy to remove the case (broken case extractor or chamber cast and a dowel), but I would be more interested to find out how/why it happened before giving the gun back to the owners. Recommend that they either take it to a smith and let him give it the once-over before shooting it again, or call Glock and send it in for a checkup.
Old August 2, 2008, 07:59 PM   #4
Slopemeno

.40 S&W? Bad brass would be my guess.