The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 9, 2016, 10:02 AM   #1
Micro man

SP 101 holster

I am new to concealed carry and am looking for the right holster to carry my
2 1/4 Ruger sp101. I'm looking at OWB with a holster that would ride high on the hip for easier concealing.
I also want a holster that will hold the revolver securely so maybe something with a thumb break might be needed.
Any recommendations or ideas from the forum members would be appreciated.
Micro man
Old January 9, 2016, 03:23 PM   #2
SSA

I find this to be a very useful type of holster.
Desantis thumbreak scabbard, El Paso Saddlery Tortilla. There are lots of other, similar options.
Old January 11, 2016, 02:38 PM   #3
Frontier4

I have a sp101 357 in 3" barrel configuration. I had a pretty tough time finding a 3" holster you but you will find a lot of options for 2.25. I prefer full kydex holsters of iwb and owb. I was able to track down a Blade Tech kydex for my 3" IWB. I really like it. Leather hosters are fine, but i live in a climate that goes from 100 degrees and high humidity in the summer to 0 degree winters. This will be hard on your leather holster overtime and If your holster does not have a sweat gaurd for either inside or outside wasitband carry salts can damage your finish. With my leather holsters i do treat the outsides with a renovator to condition and water repel. I do not treat the inside. Galco would be fine, Fobus are inexpensive, Don Humme just keep searching. Good luck, keep in mind your owb holster will get dirty inside and out (like any holster) and kydex will be easier to clean and still have strong retention even w/o a thumb break

Check out Alabama Holster. They are awesome kydex holsters and offer great OWB options. I love their IWB holsters for revolvers. I would look into their "Offside" holster which is a tuckable holster meaning you are literally able to tuck your shirt in and all that is exposed is a small j clip. I rarely tuck in, but it is a great feature to have when you need to tuck. Now the grips may be noticeable on the sp101. I tuck my m&p340 in and it literally disappears which is amazing for thinner guys...5'9 150 lbs

Last edited by Frontier4; January 11, 2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old January 25, 2016, 06:50 PM   #4
sne7777

I carry the sp101 in 3 inch with a Galco b619T, con1188. This model is not made for the sp but works just fine. Black leather, rides a little high on the hip, very secure, feels good and is easy to draw.
Old January 26, 2016, 12:12 AM   #5
Radny97

Check out simply Rugged holsters. I love mine and it carries the sp101 3 inch perfectly.
Old January 26, 2016, 09:21 AM   #6
win-lose

Quote:
Check out simply Rugged holsters. I love mine and it carries the sp101 3 inch perfectly.
This. If you get it with the inside out straps it will also work as an excellent IWB holster, making it one of the most versatile holsters on the market.
Old January 26, 2016, 11:19 AM   #7
hdbiker

Holster

I bought a Uncle Mikes holster for my 2 inch SP101,works fine for about 20 bucks at Gander Mountain....hdbiker
Old February 3, 2016, 11:02 PM   #8
AL45

I tried an Uncle Mike's IWB for my SP101 but was not impressed. It had poor retention and the gun was very uncomfortable. I had about decided to trade the gun or carry some other way when I tried a Galco stow and go holster. It works great. The gun and holster stay in place and you barely notice it.
Old February 6, 2016, 07:56 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Google Galco, Bianch and or Don Hume to get started.

Go with leather and above all else, you need a good leat her gun belt.

The belt supports both the gun and the holster and is the most important part of your rig.
Old February 9, 2016, 11:22 AM   #10
Waspinator

I have been using a Desantis Thumb Break scabbard for the past three years and it has held up great (have it on my hip no, in fact). Only thing I will say is that the retention screw/rubber washer, that is located near the trigger guard , had to come out. It made the gun fit so tight that it would hang up in the holster.. with the thumb break on the holster, I don't even know why they added the screw/washer. Took mine out and that was that.

Here is an example of one (I bought the black). if you look at the picture, you will see the screw that I took out. Good holster for the money spent.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/237...01-225-leather
Old February 9, 2016, 11:34 AM   #11
psyfly

I have really liked this one which is made for either of my 3" SP101s (that's not my SP101 in the holster. As it happens, it also fits my Charter Bulldog 44):

This one can be worn strong-side forward cant, cross-draw forward cant, and SOB. I bought this one at a gun show, so I don't know how easy they are to find. Maker is Classic Old West Styles Holsters: www.cows.com