The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 16, 2013, 03:21 PM   #1
EMH

Winchester M70 300WSM Extreme Weather - where can I find one of these?

I've looked every where and I can't seem to find one.
Anyone know where I could buy one at?
Old October 16, 2013, 10:14 PM   #2
2ndtimer

Wish I knew. Last year I looked everywhere online for a Model 70 Ultimate Shadow in .270WSM. Just about gave up, when as an afterthought, stopped by the local Sportsman's Warehouse and asked. Turns out they had 2 of them in stock. A little more than I was hoping to pay, but I decided I should go ahead and grab one. Haven't seen very many Model 70's available anywhere. Don't know how many they are making right now, and with the assembly moving to Portugal, not sure how many will be available going forward.
I guess you could try Gunbroker.com or just keep looking and asking around. Good Luck.
Old October 16, 2013, 10:18 PM   #3
jmr40

Off the top of my head I don't know where one is setting on a shelf, but if you post where you live someone nearby might have seen one in a store and could point you toward one.

I inquired about one at my local gunshop last summer and they quoted me a price and said they could get one. I never followed up on it.

This is the best stocked gunshop within at least 200 miles of here, they may have one. Worth a call. I know they will ship to a local FFL for you if they have one in stock.

www.advout.com

A hunter on another forum asked about one of the long discontinued Colt Light Rifles in 30-06 a couple of years ago. I had remembered seeing one on the shelf in Adventure Outdoors and sent him the info. Turns out they still had 3 NIB. He bought all 3 and had them shipped to Arizona.

If you can't find a Winchester consider the Kimber. Both are good guns
Old October 16, 2013, 10:30 PM   #4
taylorce1

Sent you a PM. I happen to know where one is.
Old October 17, 2013, 09:21 AM   #5
EMH

Thanks guys.

Taylor, I would be interested in that one, but the guy painted the stock green and kinda ruined it for me ><
Old October 17, 2013, 10:01 AM   #6
taylorce1

Paint can be covered up or removed. I don't particularly like the EW stock anyway, so my suggestion is to go try one out at a retailer before you buy. It is as good stock, and not terribly heavy. However, I think it way to thick in the wrist and forearm. I replaced my EW stock with a McMillan FWT Edge stock, it is a much trimmer stock.

I didn't save much weight overall my EW stock weighs 30 ounces and my new McMillan weighed 24 ounces. My overall real problem with the EW is I already had two Winchesters in McMillan stocks, so I was already spoiled. Luckily I bought both rifle and stock for way under the cost of each new. That said I'm still into my EW for around $1200.
Old October 17, 2013, 07:31 PM   #7
jmr40

Without knowing any of the particulars I'd not let a good deal slip through my hands because of a painted stock. Like Taylorce1 says, the stock can easily be repainted for the cost of a can of Krylon, or in my case would be gone anyway. My McMillans were 7 oz lighter, almost 1/2 lb is significant enough for me and a far better stock at the same weight.
Old October 17, 2013, 07:56 PM   #8
PVL

I would never buy anything that had been painted or coated.
Old October 17, 2013, 10:07 PM   #9
reynolds357

One of my bench guns is Electric blue with a spot of bondo I never got around to blending after I altered the stock for the 40-11th time. Some of the best custom rifles in the world wear paint. My next bench Gun is going to be Clemson orange and Purple.
Old October 17, 2013, 10:10 PM   #10
reynolds357

Cabellas in Kansas city has one for $899.
Glad you pointed that rifle out. I have a spare WSM action laying around that I have been contemplating what to do with it. I think I shall clone this beautiful rifle, but probably in .270 WSM.

Last edited by reynolds357; October 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old October 17, 2013, 10:35 PM   #11
taylorce1

Don't know if it was a good deal but the painted stock didn't look all that bad.

Quote:
Second is a Winchester Extreme Weather in 300WSM. The rifle has had 20 rounds down the tube and seems to shoot fine. I have not started much load development so I cannot speak to it's potential but I would say it shouldn't be disappointing. The factory B&C stock seemed to slippery to me under recoil so I sprayed it forest green with a silica in it to make it more grippy. It comes with Talley low rings but again, not the glass. There are a couple handling marks on the stock that I have pictured below. Asking 850.00 for the rifle/rings and 925.00 for everything.
90x WW brass, new
1 box -6 of Win 'super X' 150gr power point.

Old October 20, 2013, 08:46 AM   #12
taylorce1

Here is another I found.

Quote:
Bought this used a few years back with intentions of restocking it and hunting with it, or rebarreling for a wildcat - neither has occurred to date, I haven't even fired it.

Sent it to Mark Penrod for his trigger work and safety timing, trigger is at 2.75 lbs.

Barrel and throat looks great with the borescope, a little ding on the top of the barrel towards the muzzle and what I assume to be a shallow primer ring on the bolt face, nothing else to mention - looks very nice.

New Haven built rifle.

24" barrel, weighs 7 lbs on my postal scale.

Three piece bottom metal.

$825 $750 $675 shipped provided your FFL will accept from an individual, otherwise $700.

USPS Money Orders, personal checks or discreet e-payment +3%.

Old October 20, 2013, 12:12 PM   #13
jmr40

Taylorce1,

While not the EW that is a darn good rifle, and in many ways the New Haven rifles are better. The bottom metal is all steel vs aluminum on the EW and I still prefer the older trigger. The barrel is not fluted, but that wouldn't be a deal killer for me. If the price were right, I'd just as soon have this as the EW, especially if I planned on restocking.

My EW is a 308 in an Edge stock, but I also have that exact 300 WSM. I bought mine for $400 including a Burris scope 3 years ago. Someone screwed up the factory stock and sold it cheap. I replaced it with one of the factroy stocks that comes on the Super Shadows and sold through www.cdnnsports.com for $50. An Edge may be in its future, but it shoots just as well as my other McMillan stocked rifles and weighs 8 lbs 1 oz as it sets. An Edge would only save about 4-5 oz. and I'm not sure it would be worth the expense in this case. OR if I want a 300 mag any lighter.

Old October 20, 2013, 01:46 PM   #14
taylorce1

Yeah I know it isn't an EW, but I'm like you on the classics and their trigger being better. Plus for the price this will be hard to find a better deal on a SS synthetic stocked rifle in .300 WSM.
Old October 21, 2013, 02:26 PM   #15
EMH

I have an Ultimate Shadow in stainless, but I was wanting the EW for a 300WSM build.
Old October 24, 2013, 03:11 PM   #16
EMH

What do yall think of the Coyote Light?